Leech Squashing

[quote=“bertoncelj1, post:93, topic:17543, full:true”]
Where can i find this table? I’ve never seen it before.
[/quote]@bertoncelj1, Click on the word “Items” at the top of the page:
https://www.idigtech.com/wanikani/#items.wk.kan

1 Like

I remember 想定 like this:

In French sortie means exit. So I’m trapped in a room and there are three doors. 2 lead to certain death. Hmm, which should I choose? Evidence suggests it’s the middle door. But I can’t be sure, it’s only my hypothesis.

Or you could involve the English/French word sauté?

1 Like

Great tool! Thanks! Will be much easier to see wich one’s you have trouble with (In a much more detailed way than wanikani statistics, even though I use that as well to see which one’s are falling behind).

Just a quick question, does the “score” mean that the ones with the lowest score are the once you have most trouble with in order of time gained + how many wrong answers, or is it the highest score? Just wondering :slight_smile:

My list wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, but will study these more for sure now :slight_smile:

Seems like I’m no fan of sunlight :sweat_smile: (Might be a reason why I have a vampire as my avatar…)

2 Likes

This needs its own thread in the API and Scripts section, so it’s easier to find.

Maybe a way to select which scores (and up) you want to see? For instance, everything showing with a score of 2 is pretty new [EDIT 2: Nope, that is not true once I’ve sorted things. Lots of Enlightened items with a score of 2], so I don’t think it’s a leech yet. I’d just like to see the oldest things (score of 4 or 5 and higher (which is worse). Thank you for sharing this with us!

Also, I was surprised not to see the total number of reviews done… I know I’ve got some items I’ve already answered 28 times… But not sure where on your list they were generated. Seeing that larger number, and maybe even being able to sort by that as well, would be helpful to find the oldest and worst leeches.

EDIT: Saw the post where you said it’s updated and can sort. The sorting is so helpful! Rather than going by score, I’m looking at sorting by Wrong Answers (the worst is only 13???) and now I’m really seeing some familiar leechy faces. I would still like to see that total number of reviews though… So maybe I’ve got that one wrong 13/28 times??? A percentage might also be nice to see. With that update (that I had no idea the features were available to me) has made this all the more useful. Thanks again!

EDIT 3: I’ve noticed 小皿 was near the top initially, but disappears from the list entirely when sorting by Wrong. I guess this means I have more than 50 leeches?

1 Like

Except for 負ける, so much yes!!!

(I know a song 負けないで/I will not yield, so that hasn’t gotten confused, thankfully.)

1 Like

Updated the script to be a little less confusing, and moving the discussion to a third-party thread: Leech Detector

2 Likes

I am thinking that the number of Guru could be another indicator for leeches.

How many Guru do you have?

2 Likes

That’s what I do. I have a chalk wall sticker where I write up my leechs. I remove them as I’m getting more confident (also to open space for new ones). It has proven to be very effective. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

[rant]
How the F&*% do you remember that 研究室 is laboratory and 研究所 is research lab?!

And how do you remember that 見返す / 見返る is “to look back at” and 見送る is “to see off”?!
[/rant]

2 Likes

室 - room -> a single room -> laboratory
所 - place -> a whole building -> institute (Lab is like the 5th meaning. Learn it as institute)

4 Likes

見返す / 見返る is “to look back at” 返 … return, when you return to do something, you have to look back(wards)

見送る is “to see off” 送 also means “send”. In English, a farewell party is also known as a “send off”. To see off someone is to say goodbye to them. I suggest adding a synonym to say “to send off”

4 Likes

Thanks for the help! I’ll try to keep your posts in mind next time those kanji come up.

I just came here to complain about 矢, 牛, 午 and 半. These little f**kers… :rage:

PS: I think I actually recognise them now. Thanks <3

3 Likes

I’m just here to tell you about 失 and 平.
Congrats for recognising the others so quckly.

1 Like

I have discovered that I have Isssssssues with 約 …

契約 Contract, Agreement
条約 Treaty
誓約 Pledge, Written Vow, Covenant
盟約 Pledge, Pact

… and I’ve decided that the way to remember them is to post a West Wing gif. Leo, promise me I’ll never confuse these again.

6 Likes

This guy’s walking down the street when he falls in a hole. The walls are so steep he can’t get out.

A doctor passes by and the guy shouts up, ‘Hey you. Can you help me out?’ The doctor writes a prescription, throws it down in the hole and moves on.

Then a priest comes along and the guy shouts up, ‘Father, I’m down in this hole, can you help me out?’ The priest writes out a prayer, throws it down in the hole and moves on.

Then a friend walks by, ‘Hey, Joe, it’s me. Can you help me out?’ And the friend jumps in the hole. Our guy says, ‘Are you stupid? Now we’re both down here.’ The friend says, ‘Yeah, but I’ve been down here before, and I know the way out.’

8 Likes

Those are my best leeches lately. They all fell from enlightened to apprentice 1 in the last 2 weeks…

2 Likes

Ok. What’s next.

2 Likes

I still don’t have an effective way of telling the difference between 申 and 由. Obviously if I see them in context it’s not so bad, but when they come up as kanji reviews, I can never remember which is which.

Ok, so the central stroke goes lower in 申 and it is used in humble language where you are lowering yourself. Maybe that’ll help.

2 Likes

I think you are going to love the kanji for “shell”: 甲

8 Likes