Leech Squashing

That one is I believe more like being employed versus not being employed. Like you said, getting a job. As opposed to your involvement in the work. But sometimes words just overlap. All I’m doing is reading dictionary definitions in Japanese that anyone can.

5 Likes

When prosperity radiates light (comes after prosperity), it’s glory, but when light shines on prosperity, it’s an honour?

Maybe try imagining something like a statue shining brightly and projecting rays of light in one case and the same statue being illuminated by spotlights in the other case?

9 Likes

I remembered that one by knowing that both readings in it are the secondary ones, and that fixing something to be correct is a sign of honesty!

6 Likes

For the most stubborn leech I just use ignore script to burn it; it’s just not worth all the time and energy.

Sometimes I’ll resurrect it during writing practice (I learn writing an item some time after it is burned; and learning a leech anew occasionally helps). Otherwise I’ll just let it be gone, life is better that way.

2 Likes

52 Likes

栄光: If the light is behind you, you will seem very glorious when people look towards you. Like with a halo, or this

光栄: The light shines at you from the front, so you are being honored. Perhaps by the king or gods devine grace.

74 Likes

Yup, that’s pretty much it. I’m dragging 会社 and 社員 into 会, which is not accurate. (When I said “should” I was mocking myself, not ascerting that it truly should be that way). It’s stupid because I have no problem with 会 individually or in any other reading, it’s just 会員.

Anyway, I think writing it out and seeing other people write it out too will definitely help.

And thank you, @Starker and @Heiopei for the mnemonics! I’ve tried thinking about where the light comes from, sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn’t. The images might just make it stick lol

4 Likes

“boisterous and boisterouser”:

The kanji “boisterous,” as displayed on my laptop:

The kanji “boisterous,” as displayed on my phone:

EDIT: sorry sorry sorry for this being a repost! I had remembered talking about this issue in the forums before but totally forgot I had actually made a whole thread about it a year ago! Thought it was relevant to the leech conversation (as I just missed the burn on it this morning).

5 Likes

Didn’t you already start another thread about this (almost exactly a year ago):

3 Likes

omg :grimacing::confounded: see my edit yeah that’s embarassing

I like the direction that old thread went in though

4 Likes

LOL it’s okay, I do this sometimes myself, forgetting what I’ve posted months ago.

Note to self: smoke less weed.

3 Likes

I also asked this some time ago. I’ll take みなみsan’s answer. It seems to be the difference between permitted form for older pc, and the official form for nowadays pc; with the death mask one being the official one. (but you can’t link it or interact with it.)

Using Sans font will be ‘former’ radical, and Serif will be death mask.

3 Likes

It took me like two months to realise that 入場 and 入所 are actually two different words (with the same meaning).

10 Likes

外れる
Level 3
Unlocked August 26th, 2015

Just missed the burn, again…

9 Likes

ひめ ー 姫 ー princess
ひめ ー 媛 ー princess
(!) ー 妃 ー princess

≠ princess

9 Likes

The seven different words for anticipate/expect are going to be floating between guru and enlightened forever for me, I think.

20 Likes

YES! Oh god yes I hear you with those!! Haha

3 Likes

I got curious about what my leeches were and I realized there’s no easy way to just simply display them, so I wrote a small script that queries the API for my kanji and vocab, and then applies this simple formula to determine which are leeches:

total number of incorrect responses / current correct streak

So here’s what I got and my thoughts about each of them:

Item Type	Item	Card Type	SRS		Score
1.	vocab		作業	meaning		5		12.0
2.	vocab		取れる	meaning		5		 8.0
3.	vocab		資料	meaning		4		 8.0
4.	vocab		除く	reading		2		 8.0
5.	vocab		資格	meaning		5		 7.0
6.	vocab		想定	meaning		6		 6.7
7.	vocab		取決め	meaning		5		 6.0
8.	vocab		苦労	meaning		5		 6.0
9.	vocab		嫌味	reading		5		 6.0
10.	vocab		整然	meaning		3		 6.0

So every one of them is a vocab, the first Kanji isn’t until 14 (the meaning of 安). Looking at the list kinda sends a cold sweat down my back as every one of them has been painful for me, so I think the algorithm works. One by one:

作業 Meaning
Work

Provided mnemonic

If you want to make a business successful you need to be prepared to do a lot of work.

What’s going wrong?
I keep getting it mixed up with 作家, and the mnemonic kind of turns on a pun of the word “make” that’s not sticking. It’s also just super old for me and keeps falling out of streak around Enlightened.

Remedy
Nothing specific, I think I just need to pay better attention for this one considering how many times I’ve screwed it up.

取れる Meaning
To Come Off

Provided mnemonic

This is like 取る, which is “to take.” Now though, instead of you doing the taking, it’s just “taking itself” so to speak. That doesn’t make sense, though. When something its taken by itself, it is something that just comes off. So, you can call this to come off. You can remember that this is “to come off” instead of “to take” because it is rare (れる) that something comes off on its own without your help.

What’s going wrong?
It’s linguistically bizarre to me that the intransitive form of “to take” is “to fall off”. My brain just rebels.

Remedy
I think I just need to see this word used in context more often, it seems like such a common and easy word.

資料 Meaning
Material

Provided mnemonic

The material you use to make resources is still material.

What’s going wrong?
Meaning relies on secondary definition of 料 that I never committed to memory. I also don’t have a strong grasp on the sense of the word “material” we’re talking about here, as “material” in English has a fair few meanings.

Remedy
Maybe a new mnemonic that relies on the “fee” meaning? Suggestions? This one confounds me.

除く Reading
のぞく

Provided mnemonic

You would like to exclude your nose (のぞ) because you don’t like your nose. Imagine your strong feelings about your nose as you decide to exclude it.

What’s going wrong?
It’s a very new kanji to me. I am getting severely lost in the plethora of 余 kanji, and the 送り仮名 provided gives me basically nothing to latch on to. Plus, 訓読み are always a little tougher.

Remedy
I think here I can just double-down on the provided mnemonic and make it stick. It’s slightly weird, but it is nowhere near one of the really bad ones.

資格 Meaning
Qualifications

Provided mnemonic

The credible resources that determine your professional status are your qualifications. You need some good ones if you want to get into a good school or land a sweet job.

What’s going wrong?
What is even with this mnemonic? Resource + status without any particular hooky story around it is pretty useless. Throwing the word “credible” in there isn’t helping, as it has nothing to do with anything. Both “resource” and “status” are very general words in English that have a variety of meanings, so I partially blame this on my poor grasp on the constituent kanji.

Remedy
Need a new mnemonic badly. Hmm… maybe something on my resume about how I paradigm-shifting, industry-leading, effective-communicating in my job managing different resources and their statuses? Seems pretty dubious… help?

想定 Meaning
Hypothesis

Provided mnemonic

You’re trying to determine the concept behind something but you have to test your hypothesis first. You have your assumptions, but you’re not entirely sure you’re right yet because all you have is the concept to go off of.

What’s going wrong?
Again “determine” and “concept” are fairly vague words. The provided mnemonic is a little word-soup-ish.

Remedy
Needs a new mnemonic. No ideas yet.

取決め Meaning
Arrangement

Provided mnemonic

You’ve taken a decision from someone. By doing this, you’ve created a kind of arrangement with them. Imagine yourself pulling this decision out of the person. They don’t want to necessarily give it to you, but they’re letting you pull it out of them, kind of. When you’ve pulled it out, you’ve come to an arrangement, though they’ve pulled some of your decision out too.

What’s going wrong?
This is a really strange word all on its own. I don’t well understand the sense of “arrangement” intended here. Strange mnemonic, but I don’t think they had that much to go on with such a strange word.

Remedy
I think I just need to see this one in context a bunch more.

苦労 Meaning
Hardship

Provided mnemonic

Suffering and labor. Sounds like the kind of thing these soft hands wouldn’t want to deal with. These are hardships and troubles. Hopefully you don’t have too much of this with kanji anymore!

What’s going wrong?
I’m a little surprised to see this one so high up as it doesn’t feel to bad to me. Nothing all that wrong or unintuitive about the mnemonic, either.

Remedy
Just seeing it on the list might be enough. I’ll give this one some time to sort itself out.

嫌味 Reading
いやみ

Provided mnemonic

The reading for 味 is the on’yomi you learned with the kanji, but the reading for 嫌 is the kun’yomi, いや. Just imagine someone saying words so hurtful that you have to scream, “Iyaaaaa!” いや.

What’s going wrong?
I keep getting this one mixed up with 嫌悪. It’s a bit odd having 音読み and 訓読み in the same word. I think the mnemonic works fine, though.

Remedy
Probably just practice practice.

整然 Meaning
Orderly

Provided mnemonic

When you arrange things in the way that nature intended, you’re doing things in a quite orderly fashion. This is the natural state of things, nice and arranged and natural. Orderly!

What’s going wrong?
Getting 然, 熱 and 烈 mixed up a bunch probably isn’t helping. Nothing wrong with the mnemonic I don’t think.

Remedy
I think I just want to go back and get 然, 熱 and 烈 squared away in my head. I’ll do some drilling on those three.

Alright, that’s too much already. Let’s squash some leeches! :heart:

13 Likes

Could you share that script? It sounds super useful!

For 想定 I can refer you to this post.

5 Likes

Sure. Here it is: Leech Detector.

It’s a bit jank, but I just spent an hour or so cleaning it up so hopefully others find it useful. Be patient with it, after the kanji loads it takes a while longer to bring in the vocab. Let me know if you want it to do anything else.

17 Likes