Learning through Translating: ブラックジャックによろしく episode 5: 外科と内科と医局と斉藤

それでは皆さん‼

Well, everybody!!

それでは is often translated as “well then”; but I wonder if that isn’t the coppula (で) + the topic は; the same as in ではない; a sort of “that is” (but nowadays it is just a set phrase of introduction)
みなさん is easy, 皆 = everybody, all; and the ~さん honorific sufix.

我らが最愛の恩師春日部一郎教授のご挨拶です‼

Welcome our beloved mentor professor Kasukabe Ichirô!!

Actually the sentence says “This is the greeting to our …”
But he is shouting it in a rock concert way, so even if grammatically it is just a plain sentence, it translates better as an exhortation.

我ら (われら) = we; it is a quite old/litterary word
最愛 (さいあい) : beloved, dearest.
The two are linked with “が” : 我らが最愛, but it is not the subject particle! Actually 我ら being an old styled word, it uses old styled grammar to, so it is 我らが (equivalent to modern 私達の ) (same applies to 我が (わが) = 私の )
恩師 (おんし) : mentor, former teacher (that we are grateful to)
教授 (きょうじゅ) : professor (here as a title)
挨拶 (あいさつ) : greeting (I was surprized that furigana were used; as I knew the reading of the word); with the ご (御) honorific prefix used with ON-yomi words

about typing and kanji...

Since I do regular drills in WaniKanMy my typing/reading abilities have improved; but the vocabulary is not in match with the needs (as I have to go trough the designed path).
I discovered however KameSame, a web site similar to WaniKani (and it also links to it and can retrieve information on your kanji/vocabulary), but that allows to inject your own vocabulary to the drills.

So while I painfully retrieved the words 最愛 and 恩師 Sunday night, I injected them into the KameSame drills;
and when it came to type them again today, it was easy…

1 Like