Learning through Translating: ブラックジャックによろしく episode 5: 外科と内科と医局と斉藤

@Jonapedia I hope the exams went ridiculously well for you!!!

Blah blah blah about Book clubs

Sadly, I fell right off of my クレヨンしんちゃん reading because getting through 2 pages of “Kiki’s Delivery Service” every day is just about more than my weak Japanese skills can handle!! It’s REALLY been KILLING my invention patent writing productivity!! I’m not keeping up with that pace at all. Plus, I’m copying out each page longhand and writing my translation and pronunciation notes all over it! That takes a long time!

Particularly since somebody made Anki-droid cards for the 3000 vocabulary words from the old Kiki group vocab list (Memrise, also, but I don’t do that) and it’s taking me AGES to blast through 120 reviews each day. CRAZY how slow it goes for me!!

But for me, the most interesting thing is to LISTEN to the audiobook–particularly after I have finished translating chapter!! Wow! I feel like this will REALLY help me be more fluent when I go to Japan. I listen while looking at my copied-out notes with pronunciation, or eyes closed.

I simply.Can. Not.Read it out loud anywhere near fast enough.!! I would LOVE to be able to read out loud along with the audiobook, eventually. Right now, I get on Discord with my daughter and try to read out loud, while she critiques my horrible pronunciation. She is in Japan teaching English. She was like JLPT4, and we are both reading the same edition of the book. She fell behind, but 夏休み begins tomorrow, so she will catch up.

She is like you, Jonapedia, about pronunciation. Very particular! After her speech introducing herself to the school, several teachers came to her speaking excitedly in Japanese, because they thought she was much more advanced than she was!

She has a VERY good ear, I think from being a GREAT singer! This helps her a lot in her English teaching, because she can easily identify how students are pronouncing things wrong. And when that “student” is me–I find her comments very correct and very helpful! My pronunciation is improving A LOT between her and the audiobook!!

魔女の宅急便・Kiki's Delivery Service 🧧 Repeat Club - #435 by shuly

3 Likes