Learning Reading using News Web Easy

I love this website. It displays the furigana for kanji I have no idea about.

I read an article that piqued my interest as it had a display of drift ice, i.e., nature: 北海道 網走市などで流氷の季節が始まった|NEWS WEB EASY

I’ve been able to translate the following:

北海道ほっかいどう 網走市あばしりしなどで流氷りゅうひょうの季節きせつが始はじまった
hokkaidou abashirishi nadoderiyuuheyou no kisetsuga hajimatta
The season of sunshine has begun in Abashiri City, Hokkaido, etc.

January 24, 5:10pm
1月24日 17時10分

北海道ほっかいどうの網走市あばしりしの海うみには、冬ふゆになると、流氷りゅうひょうが北きたから流ながれてきます。
hokkaidou no abashirishi no uminiha, huyuninaruto, ryuuhyouga kitakarataga retekimasu.
In winter, drift ice drifts into the sea near Abashiri City in Hokkaido from the north.

I use Google Translate to interpret my romaji into English. I discovered an island called Hokkaido exists. Upon putting the name into Google, beautiful images of a snow wonderland were displayed!

2 Likes

Welcome!

You want to do your best to get away from relying on romaji as soon as you can. It’s an extra step that you don’t really need, especially considering NHK Easy has full furigana.

Also, Google Translate is notoriously unreliable at Japanese - case in point: it’s somehow rendered 流氷 in the headline as “sunshine” rather than “drift ice” (though that might be because your romaji has extra vowels inserted in “ryuuhyou”). DeepL is better, but still less than perfect.

8 Likes

I see, I understand. It will help me if I drop the romaji.

Agreed with the above post. Romaji is only for learning the sounds really. Once you’ve got that down, you need hiragana and katakana.

Good luck :blush:

1 Like

Why add this extra, and unneeded, step? Which could also add potential for introducing mistakes. Why not just input the Japanese content as it is written?

I also often use the NHK easy news for reading practice and I agree with you, I think it is a great resource. Not only do I get reading practice, but I also get a bit of news.

3 Likes