Learning katakana (and kanji) with pokémon

I love pokémon, and I’ve been trying to incorporate it in my japanese learning, just like I did with my english learning. I decided that it’d be great to use it as a way to practice katakana, since its often pushed on the wayside when learning japanese. All pokémon names are katakana, after all.

But I though I could do more. Pokémon names are often puns, and those puns must come from normal japanese words. So I decided that I’d draw a pokémon, write their katakana name AND write down the actual phrases/words/concepts that make up their name (so if I were using this for english instead, I’d write down “turtonator” and also “turtle” and “detonator” to learn those names.)

While I’m not sure I can do this daily, i’ll try to make it a routine. You’re all free to follow along and even do this yourselves! There’s over 900 pokémon out there after all.

Day one: Slowbro/ヤドラン
Name origins: 宿らん (to not dwell)
宿借り (hermit crab)
宿主 (host (parasite))

44 Likes

This is definitely one of the more fun ways I’ve seen to practice Katakana, I’ll be sure to follow along and learn the Japanese Pokemon names. I’m looking forward to the next Pokemon!
pikatchu

6 Likes

Easily my new favourite thread! Keep it up @bakugames!
:crabigator:

3 Likes

This is it.

The thread we all needed.

4 Likes

that’s some pretty spiffy are you’ve got there :eyes:

3 Likes

Here’s my contribution!

I never realised how relaxing doodling can be.

14 Likes

How cute!!! I love the little layout and the posing of charmander is really nice :]! I hope i can see more of your posts here soon!

3 Likes

That’s the same face my cat pulls when he’s messing with me somehow. That’s some good effort right there, appreciated. :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Love it! Contributions like this make the community special. Take your time and enjoy yourself, don’t rush anything just for us!

3 Likes

Was testing a random number generator for this, and I got a pretty simple pokémon, so heres a bonus for today!

Day 1 bonus: Salandit/ヤトウモリ
Name origins: 井守 (newt)
夜盗 (burglar)

Note: I actually forgot one stroke on the 盗 kanji on the bottom

18 Likes

I love how smug he looks!

1 Like

Very nics pictures.

On the topic of Katakana:
I think it’s weird, that most learners tend to ignore them. Especially when as a beginner Katakana is awesome, it enables so much. In games you can understand a ton in menus, if you can read Katakana well.

3 Likes

I don’t think I ever ignored it, so much as it never really shows up much in the textbook my class used, and that was the bulk of my Japanese consumption when I started out. As a result my katakana reading speed is still pretty slow, and my writing also still abysmal. (Also, I’m female, so apparently I’m predisposed to prefer the curves of hiragana :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). I think with katakana you have to actively seek it out, by playing games and such, when I’m not a gamer at all. Whereas kanji and hiragana are pretty much thrown in your face all the time.

6 Likes

Is it weird that I always assumed you were male? :grimacing:

Good points. When I was in High school (that’s when I learnt Japanese for the first time) I found it fun to write EVERYTHING in Katakana, not Japanese but I sometimes Katakanized German :rofl: from that 10 years ago I can still write them. ツ

To add to the cliché, I’m male and always liked the futuristic look of the Katakana. But I’m gay to balance it out :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Hahha, I never correct anyone if they assume the wrong gender on here, so no? My boyfriend knows I’m female, and that’s enough for me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Lots of those in German, I bet! Wouldn’t be as frequent in Dutch, though.

3 Likes

Day 2: Croagunk/グレッグル
A nice entry to show the differences between speech and writing! While グレッグル is written as that, you’d say “Gureggru”

Name origins:
ケロケロ (onomatopoeia for a frog’s croak)
げろげろ (disgusting)
汚れ (filth)

13 Likes

Day 3: シュバルゴ/Escavalier
Name origins:
シュバリエ chevalier
エスカルゴ escargot

15 Likes

I’ve never seen Bulbasaur from behind so… I tried my best :smile:
フシギダネ is a much more interesting pun than ‘Bulbasaur’. What mystery is this bulbous fellow hiding :thinking:

10 Likes

i always loved bulbasaurs japanese name! the pun is super fun, same reason that i love wobbuffets and wynauts japanese name.

that looks super cute! that bulbasaur looks happy to see me :]

4 Likes