Leap motion + wanikani (future request)

First of all, has anyone here heard about leap before?

It’s an amazing computer controlling tech (using gestures)  that’s coming in near future,  in a month or two, and it’s really cheap. So I was thinking it would be really amazing if someone would develop some software to control Wanikani reviews with gestures. It would make things so much simpler and funnier.

What do you think? :) 

edit: fixed link!

I demand a link. Because we already have a version of the SAO helmet in the works.

Absolutionz said... I demand a link. Because we already have a version of the SAO helmet in the works.
 There's supposed to be a link in my post AND IT'S NOT WORKING :[ wait, ill fix it:

http://leapmotion.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d6KuiuteIA

Leap motion is cool…
i pre-ordered mine last year…
still waiting them to launch it =[

but i just dont think WK would work with it…  at least its not cheap enough to everybody on WK buy it…

i am preparing to develop PC games with it =]

alucardeck said... Leap motion is cool..
i pre-ordered mine last year...

but i just dont think WK would work with it...  at least its not cheap enough to everybody on WK buy it..

Well, I didn't say you'd have to buy it. Just, if I'll already have it at home, why not use it on Wanikani.  It's just a small grease monkey script. 

also, they're going to start shipping it somewhere in march.

I can’t think of a single reason why anyone would use this on wanikani. How would you type? Unless you just want to use it to browse the site and forums. 

It could work pretty good on Skritter I suppose.

Phantomeye said...
alucardeck said... Leap motion is cool..
i pre-ordered mine last year...

but i just dont think WK would work with it...  at least its not cheap enough to everybody on WK buy it..

Well, I didn't say you'd have to buy it. Just, if I'll already have it at home, why not use it on Wanikani.  It's just a small grease monkey script. 

also, they're going to start shipping it somewhere in march.
yes, i checked the guy who made the script, sounds cool.
but maybe we could think about using Leap to help learning how to write kanjis correctly, i really cant think in another utility to learning a new language with a motion sensor =/

some people already received their, i am on the list yet =[

Satoshi said... I can't think of a single reason why anyone would use this on wanikani. How would you type? Unless you just want to use it to browse the site and forums. 

It could work pretty good on Skritter I suppose.

I don't mean typing at all. You could use it to browse throu reviews ( sound, more info) and lessons: back, forward, etc.  a fun way, nothing useful. Just for the fun of it :P

--
as for writing kanji, that's would be perfect.

Looks cool but I think I’d personally revert back to the mouse and/or touchscreen. Plus, maybe I’m super lazy or something, but I know I’d get sick of holding up my arm/hand to operate the thing. :<br>
The kanji writing practice suggestion is a good idea, but that’s already been discussed as a no-go on WK…

Do you really think that will become mainstream?

I mean, it can be fun during five minutes but, can you imagine yourself spending eight hour a day holding your arm in that position? That would destroy my shoulder!

No way will I be able to use this for extended periods of time. Perhaps if something similar was implemented  for tablets that face directly upwards, it would be more usable though. I could see this being used more outside of home computers and such though, not that I can straight away think of a case it would be used in (but less germs would pass around. Yay?!)

Also, I wouldn’t expect a full on writing practise to be possible. After all, that’s the reason why the Apple Chinese drawing-input keyboards on iOS still use predictive kanji (hanzi?), as it would be incredibly hard (I think) to perfectly recognise kanji(/hanzi).

Nice spamming, OP.

Absolutionz said... I demand a link. Because we already have a version of the SAO helmet in the works.
 Oh noes! SAO helmet will fry your brain if you don't finish your reviews in time!
Joffrey said...
 Oh noes! SAO helmet will fry your brain if you don't finish your reviews in time!
 Hey....don't give them ideas!
 Nerve Gear or AmuSphere?
HatsuHazama said... No way will I be able to use this for extended periods of time. Perhaps if something similar was implemented  for tablets that face directly upwards, it would be more usable though. I could see this being used more outside of home computers and such though, not that I can straight away think of a case it would be used in (but less germs would pass around. Yay?!)

Also, I wouldn't expect a full on writing practise to be possible. After all, that's the reason why the Apple Chinese drawing-input keyboards on iOS still use predictive kanji (hanzi?), as it would be incredibly hard (I think) to perfectly recognise kanji(/hanzi).
 the magic to this is, you can change any screen to a touch screen. You don't even need to wave around like some awkward person.
You can also use it instead of a graphic tablet. Which means you can draw on a piece of paper and you get a direct input into photoshop/ms paint, or anything graphical. This thing is 1 mm precise.
Of course you could wave around when playing games or dunno manipulating with 3D objects if your into that... but if you want to browse you online,  you only need to move your fingers, without lifting your hand.  Which could mean you're doing as much movement you do with a mouse.
You could also, check this, remove batteries from your mouse or if it's an usb one - snap the cable off... and use that mouse as a prop. :D

There are so many ways to use this thing.

Mostly Leap will open doors to a lot of new casual apps that having nothing interesting and will be very boring in a few months (just like “touch” technology).
In a few years we all will have it in our mobile phones.

The real use for the next 5 years will be limited to big companies, that is the reason i bought it.
Its the first step to the holografic computer (Tony Stark ^^), and maybe in 20 years we all will have one to do Home automation.

Unless people starts to spending a few hundred bucks to automate things at home, there is no real use for common people (talking about Leap by itself).
Casual games are casual, and “disappear” in a few weeks.
Also, I doubt someone here can play Kinect for a few hours without a break. (try to keep your arms up for 30 minutes).

We can discuss about a lot of things to do, if we combine Leap to  AI + Voice Recognition + Smart Clothes + Brainwave Sensor + other things like that.