Languages after Japanese

Mandarin for sure. I actually have 4 years of mandarin learning when I was at primary school in Singapore but I paid no attention and am back to square one. Now, after 2 years, I’m looking back and I want to learn it again. I’m almost at a fluent ish level at spanish and progressing through Japanese at a decent pace, so by the time I go to university in 2025 I hope to know Chinese as well as Japanese and spanish all to fluency. Then I will speak 6 and on to more :smile::smiley:

2 Likes

Korean and Chinese languages. Picked these as they would be a better fit to jump off from Japanese.

There’s always like a desire to know more languages, so you can understand what people are saying. I think you also need the interest in the culture or another strong motivation to learn it though. So I could list a bunch of other stuff that would be neat to dabble in, but ultimately I doubt I would keep up with it. Like Spanish, Russian and the Arabic languages.

Either way I think Japanese on its own is already very fulfilling and somewhat of a life long journey for me. Meaning that is also fine if it stops at that.

3 Likes

Appreciate it bro cheers! :pray:

1 Like

I’d like to try to study Korean since I’ve read that sentence structure is similar between the two languages (and it’s easier since it has a alphabet instead of ideograms like Chinese or Japanese). Another idea is to take German up again as I studied it in middle school but I remember almost nothing (but as a European it’s quite a useful language). I have to master Japanese a bit before that though, I’ve only been studying it for a year and I’m still very much a beginner!

2 Likes

After Japanese Mandarin didn’t seem that scary anymore. But I think I’d get bored of it because of too many characters. I was really looking to begin with Korean this year but thought I’d give it one or two more years before I start. But for sure I’m going to do Korean. It’s piqued my interest very much.

1 Like

After I become fluent enough in Japanese to the point where I don’t have to actively study it anymore, I’d like to eventually learn both Korean and Serbian (my ancestry is Serbian). Maybe Russian as well someday.

2 Likes

Greek because I like the history and culture and I loved it when I went to the isles, so I want to go again. I really like the sound too…and I also like the sound of Hebrew. These two for starters and then maybe Arabic. I like strange alphabets :laughing:

3 Likes

What do you mean, “after Japanese”? No such thing :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Mandarin Chinese and Korean. I think I’ll have a slightly easier time with those because if my memory serves me right, Mandarin and Korean are similar (in different ways) to Japanese.

2 Likes

I’m thinking of learning Korean through Japanese since they’re similar in structure (once I reach a much better level of fluency of course) :upside_down_face:
I also want to learn Ukrainian so I can impress my family back there (kinda lol)
Maybe German??
I like learning languages :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Exactly! The more I study Japanese, the more I learn there is more Japanese to learn…

4 Likes

I’ll pick something from the “easiest languages to learn list.” Time for something more simple. ;D

1 Like