Weow! Koohi.cafe - A WK friendly SRS [300 vocabulary lists!]

Great idea! However, whenever I login to the site, the entire webpage is faded out and I can’t click anything. Am I missing something? It happened last week too so I haven’t been able to use it yet. Sorry if it’s actually really obvious!

This means you were navigated to a different page while a modal was open and the website didn’t close it properly. That’s a bug. A page refresh will fix it normally.

Can you describe what you do when this happens? You just login? Do you click the “force refresh” button? What browser are you using? Anything you know would be great.

Update 2-10-2021

Made some adjustments to the library page. There’s now a gear icon next to search where you can set some additional filters/options on.

Change Log

• Created an additional modal for search options
  • Added an option for viewing romaji/JP titles
  • Clicking the “read” book button under favorites now toggles between read/not-read/default @Naphthalene
  • Added filters for free books (Aozora) and children’s books

I can already tell that the above filters will be a pain in the ass to maintain but that’s a problem for future me. Will be catching up on anime uploads soon.

6 Likes

How do you get the vocabulary lists for these books? Is it based on some external data source, or did you manually extract them yourself?

I buy books and then make the data myself through a series of automated processes

2 Likes

It took me 20 minutes to realize I didn’t actually update the website

6 Likes

Thank you for your work, Raionusさん! :tada:

2 Likes

League is frying your brain

Well, it certainly hasn’t improved my quality of life to any degree

@Raionus I’ve been wondering, is there a reason you have timed releases on Koohi rather than just releasing them? There are clearly cons, but I don’t know what pros there would be.

2 Likes

Well, that’s only if you think of it from a consumer perspective.

As a person who produces content, dripping content means that:

1. People are encouraged to check back more frequently for new content (on a daily/weekly basis, as opposed to monthly)
  2. Dripping makes the site look “not dead” which bolsters confidence in the future of the product meaning no one’s going to drop the site because they think it’s been abandoned
  3. It gives me additional leeway in development time. I can go spend five weeks redoing the backend because I know the content drip is going to have content updates covered for the next three weeks. Meaning it looked like there were only two weeks between the latest updates.

So yeah, it’s pretty useless for you but pretty useful for me.

3 Likes

Fair enough lmao.

last time i checked the actual cards themselves were whack, and i doubt you could have fixed that since then, because its probably an issue with having to funnel in dictionary data or something, and thats not exactly gonna be perfect for this context. its like when you have to write in the entirety of a weirdly worded translation of a new vocab that you just cant remember because wanikani dont let you add synonyms right away. i really just felt like shoving them all into an anki deck to be honest, but if we could just fill out the cards ourselves straight from that interface, there’d be no such problem. thats the only way you can guarantee the wanikani levels of clean vocab entries that we’re frankly all used to by now. im 100% going to use koohi some day, im just not sure if the srs will be on anki or on your site, and the ease with which new cards can be made will determine that for me

Ok

Update 2-15-2021 - Book Club Update

• Added a Wanikani book club filter (bottom-right) to the options menu on the library page
  • Added Wanikani discussion threads to book link lists
  • Unreleased books are collapsed by default. You can expand it into a list by clicking the cover

New books on the release schedule:

• Japanese Graded Readers Level 0 Volume 1 (Thank you @conan)
  • Yagate Kimi ni Naru Saeki Sayaka ni Tsuite vol 2/3, Konya Sekai kara Kono Koi ga Kietemo (@Vanilla)

Current list of book club books:

• Akai Akumu
  • Autumn Prison
  • Hataraku Maou
  • Hyouka
  • Kino no Tabi
  • Kiri no Mukou no Fushigi na Machi
  • Kitchen
  • Konbini Ningen
  • Night Market
  • Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu
  • Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo

Some books (ex: Re: Zero) haven’t been linked up yet.

7 Likes

We are approaching the 300 title mark! Like 8 more to go

Also @Raionus I noticed this in the features page

Is there still XP? I remember there being XP in floflo but I can’t find it on koohi. Of course, I’m always down for any competitive aspect so long as I’m #1

1 Like

WELL YOU’VE LOST THEN LMAO

Congrats on first place @fioraaeterna

1 Like

FRICK

I’m guessing that the floflo XP didnt carry over? RIP 6000 cards and god knows how many reviews lmao

EDIT: Yeah…deffos didn’t carry over lmao. THIS IS RIGGED. #stopthecount

3 Likes

Votes from last election cycle don’t count NERDDDDDD

4 Likes

NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

2 Likes