MaruMori.io & Kitsun.io - [UPDATE: ALL ABOARD THE N3 TRAIN] - Grammar SRS, Grammar Lessons, Reading Exercises, Vocabulary, Kanji and more!

So this deck has ranking. It there any way to have lessons in this order?
And this flow is wrong 1-10-100-1000-1001…
Yeah, I know, I can set index for each card… but there are 5000…
Chronologically lesson order doesn’t help.
Mb smth in code like an option index=ranking would work

1 Like

Hmm, the other (tsv/csv) imports do have a special option where you can select which column should be used as the index field. I just double-checked and the anki import doesn’t have it.

I’d have to either add this functionality to the import, or add a way to quickly set the index to all cards (this feature was already on my to-do list).

Until I implement the latter feature, I can set it for this deck manually through the database as a temporary workaround :slight_smile: Let me know if you would like this.

1 Like

It’s OK. Gonna use anki for that deck. Glad that u found some problem of it. GL with it:wink:

1 Like

@s1212z a question about the bug that you reported: What flow did you use to create the new cards? Did you add the cards by manually filling in the details or did you generate the card through the dictionary feature?

I always added through the dictionary feature, sometimes with custom edits.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve found the code that’s causing the issue, but I’m not certain how to fix it at the moment.

• I can make it always increase available lessons by 1 whenever you create a card, but that would also mean that anyone with a lessons still available will be increasing their daily limit. So I don’t think this is a viable solution.

What is causing your issue is that you have no cards left to study (or less than the daily amount) in the deck, so when it does the usual daily check, it sets it to 0 (or the available amount).
In that scenario you’d want it to increase until it fills up the new lessons per day limit whenever you add a new card.

I currently don’t have a fix for this scenario, as the cause of the issue is another fix I made for the “total lesson” count on the home page (for example: it would show 15 since thats the daily limit, but you’d have no actual cards available).

Now I can think of a few fixes for this, but they are larger changes than what I’d currently want to make. I’ll put it on the priority bug list so I don’t forget about it, but it will probably be after launch.

In the mean time you can click on the lock icon and unlock like 20 lessons to manually get them to show up for today, otherwise you’d have to wait until tomorrow until it does the recalculation of the lesson pool.

@jprspereira I fixed the table problem with manual lessons (and all other similar actions) that you reported, but I’m not pushing it live just yet. It will come with the last update before the launch. Just fyi :smile:

@marcusp Thank you so much for the support! :durtle_love:

3 Likes

Is this basically Anki in web format? What are the advantages over just using Anki, besides a nicer UI (I think, I couldn’t find any examples of the UI of the cards in the website, besides making an account) and that its web based?

Also, is there somewhere I can see which decks are available in the site, and how the cards look?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Nevermind the look of the cards in the website, I missed the pictures in the OP, I just didnt find anything in the main kitun.io website

1 Like

As much as I want the price to be lower as well because my wallet is shaking in fear for when Kitsun officially launches, I agree with Neicudi because after watching Kitsun grow as a first wave beta tester and knowing how much more it’ll grow, I personally think it’s justified just from this alone:

I’m actually thinking of recommending this to my sibling if she ever goes back to medical school because I know how much easier her life will be with the SRS system Kitsun has. All those terms and memorizing which nerve connects to what and what it does, etc etc. (omg you poor, poor medical students)

I’m also gonna use this in the future for learning morse code, sign language, culinary terms, etc :grin: I already have those decks awaiting cards but I’m just so swamped in other things right now. :sweat_smile:

The 200$ WK lifetime allows me to learn kanji for the rest of my life but Kitsun’s 200$ allows me to learn all the things I want for the rest of my life soooo :woman_shrugging:

10 Likes

I had to learn this in the navy - I still remember some of the mnemonics if you’re interested…

5 Likes

yes please!!! :smile:

4 Likes

Decidedly off-topic!

Morse mnemonics

I trust you have learned / will be learning the ICAO phonetic alphabet - these mnemonics are meant to be used with that and Morse paired together.

I realised after I offered that it has been 30 years since I’ve used either, so I can only give just under half of the alphabet, and as best as I recall we didn’t actually have mnemonics for all. On the up side, these have stuck with me for 30 years of not using Morse!

I trust you know SOS? (… - - - …) ‘dit dit dit dah dah dah dit dit dit’ Do you also remember the old Nokia series of beeps for SMS? It was Morse for SMS, so (… - - …) ‘dit dit dit dah dah dit dit dit’ , so M/Mike is - - ‘dah dah’ So that’s Sierra, Oscar and Mike out of the way.

Okay, back to the stuff I learned in the navy…

Echo (.) - doesn’t have an echo i.e. it is a single dit, ironically the shortest sound available in Morse
Foxtrot (. . - .) - like the dance, step step side step (sadly, nothing similar for Tango)
Golf (- - .) - you’re a beginner and always need to take two swings to hit the ball
Hotel (. . . .) - it’s always best to stay in a 4 star hotel
Romeo (. - .) & Papa (. - - .) - Romeo is a rich teenager who drives around Verona in his flashy little sports car with two headlights and a small grille, while his Papa, a Verona VIP, is driven around in a much larger car with a grille twice as wide
Victor (. . . -) - Victor is for V, and V is the Roman numeral 5; Beethoven’s 5th symphony’s first four notes are dit dit dit dah

Sorry, that’s as much as I can remember, but as Kumirei posted recently there are 67,000 users here so if you post in Campfire I’m sure someone else will be able to help you out.

Best of luck and have fun (and don’t ask about semaphore or International flag code, I struggled with them 30 years ago, and completely dumped them from memory!)

8 Likes

Heya, Kitsun tries to build on the foundation laid by Anki and Wanikani. It tries to combine the good aspects of both platforms while improving/expanding on certain features. I’d say you have the same freedom and tweakabilty of Anki while having a modern, easy to use UI/UX and cool features built into the platform.

One of the main reasons you’d want to choose Kitsun over Anki is the ease of getting started. I’ve tried to make it a hassle free environment that lets users start learning (in a SRS system similar to WK) right away, and let them create their own cards as easily as possible.

One example of this is being able to look up words through the dictionary page (uses jisho.org API) and immediately being able to generate a card from it with a few clicks.

Another huge benefit over Anki is that decks can receive feedback on specific cards within Kitsun. Meaning that any wrong cards or typos can be submitted to the author and they can push out an update to all users of the deck right away by just accepting the suggested changes. There is no syncing or anything involved. Each user of a deck will have the most up to date/best version of the deck at all times.

It’s basically built around the idea that you should be able to quickly start learning or quickly create your cards without struggling with setting things up. Each new feature tries to introduce another convienent way of generating or managing cards. In my opinion time spent on manually entering cards or setting up programs to generate cards for you is time you might better spend studying.

I wrote a more in detail reply to the same question quite a while ago, so by now there’s been multiple additions to the list, but the list in that reply still holds up for the most part:

Theres a few standard templates/layouts available, but you are also able to share templates/layouts with others or create them yourself. So you will often see that it depends on the (community) deck that you are using.

To get an idea, you can go to the community centre (from the sidebar) and take a look at some of the most popular decks on there :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Damnit i’m too late for the discount :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I have several decks that has~110 cards but with 15 lessons available and another with ~300 cards but with ~130 lessons. So do the lesson number reset after those lessons are done? I assumed the available lesson should correspond with the number of cards available (assuming no lessons were done).

1 Like

For each deck you have a lesson pool that builds up according to your daily lesson limit.

Say your daily lesson limit is at 15, it adds 15 lessons to the lesson pool on the daily check.

If you have 120 cards and 110 lessons available, then the next day you’d have 125 lessons available. Because this isn’t a correct number (there’s only 120 cards and not 125), I had to build in a cap that corresponds with the amount of cards left as lessons. In this example it would become 120.

Now in the case of decks with no lessons left to do, it caps it to 0. Even though your daily limit might be 15, you have no cards left to do at that point. So when you add new cards, your lesson pool still stays at 0 because it already calculated the total for today.

This calculation system works pretty well for calculating the total lessons left, but it should keep track of how many lessons have actually been done on this particular day, in order to unlock more when your daily limit would allow it.

I want to redo this system in the future because of performance issues and these kind of problems. Your problem pushed the priority up so it should be relatively soon :smiley:

1 Like

Imagine this scenario: I go to manage cards, it loads, and I search for a specific item. The search loads.

But then, I change to another template. What happens here is that it loads all cards in the other template without taking into consideration my search terms.

It would be cool if when changing to another template, it would also search for my search terms. I think it makes sense, I didn’t delete the search term from the search bar. This is mainly an annoyance because if I want to add cards to the lessons’ pile, I need to do 2 clicks instead of 1. If I wanted all words, I wouldn’t have a search term to begin with.

3 Likes

Since kitsun will be officialy launch in a few days I had a few questions.

-From december 1 how long will we have to subscribe before having our account lock? Do we have to pay on the first?
-I saw there was a sale for the releash planned(Accordin to the op) is it still good or not?
-I heard about it but never got news again so I was wondering if you still plan to put game on kitsun?
-And obviously the most important question, how can I steal @jprspereira’s level on kitsun?(For a school project purpose)

Btw I think that you have developed a super app. I want to thank you for all the hard work you’ve made so far.

7 Likes

I’d also like to know what happens if somebody published a deck while Kitsun was free but then doesn’t purchase a subscription, or if a deck creator’s subscription lapses. Will they be unable to log in at all after some time and therefore unable to approve suggested changes? It might be good to let people log in and do some actions (like deck maintenance) while locking them from doing things like reviews or lessons - although I realise that’s probably much more complicated to implement.

Apologies if this has been asked or addressed already :sweat_smile: looking forward to the launch! Are you gonna have a party? :wink:

6 Likes

All existing accounts get converted to a free trial account for 14 days. So technically speaking you can still use Kitsun for free for 14 days with no further limitations. I’ve decided to scrap the lessons limit I originally wanted to implement.

Do you mean the beta discount? I currently don’t have any sales planned yet.

Game as in gamification of Kitsun? It’s slowly getting there, user levels being a part of it. I’d like to introduce achievements at some point as well :smiley:

:laughing: I’ve heard that you can steal it by doing your lessons and reviews every single day!

Thank you very much!

Heya! Long time no see :smiley:!

I currently have it implemented as follow:

When your trial expires or you stop your subscription, your account becomes “locked”. You will still be able to log in and look at your decks/home/dashboards but won’t be able to access features such as:

• Reviews
  • Lessons
  • Dictionary
  • Subs2Kitsun
  • Imports

You can still access the feedbacks page and accept or reject suggestions for your published decks. I currently have the cards management table locked (as in it doesn’t load data and you can’t edit cards), but perhaps this restriction should be loosened a bit.

Basically all creation actions get locked except feedback management.

For sure! I already can’t believe it’s finally launching this week :sob::partying_face:

9 Likes

Don’t worry. I’m going for a 2nd round already. I’m currently around level 52 and I aim to achieve level 100. Once I get there, you can have half :crazy_face:

4 Likes