MaruMori.io & Kitsun.io - [UPDATE: ALL ABOARD THE N3 TRAIN] - Grammar SRS, Grammar Lessons, Reading Exercises, Vocabulary, Kanji and more!

Forgive me if somebody else has asked this before, but is there any way to add your own notes to a custom deck? I’m going through the expansion deck and want to add some mnemonics to help myself remember the difference between 下る,下ろす,下り, etc. (because they’re killing me already in reviews, haha) but the only option I get is to suggest a change.

2 Likes

This is the first time I’ve seen these, so correct me if this is wrong:

下る = descend (remember 下り is associated with this one)
下ろす = take down (use 下げる to help with meaning)

Don’t mix these up with 下さる / 下さい

下ろす is お while 下げる is さ
My aim with some mnemonics is just to remind myself when it’s さ and when it’s お, really.

Can usually make the connection between the honorifics using くだ but confusingly 下る uses くだ too for “to go down”. Of course, now we’re getting away from Kitsun and into Japanese Language, hehe.

Realistically I’d get it by rote after a few more reviews, but it’s nice to put some notes to myself in if I can.

2 Likes

Right - should have been more clear there

1 Like

Agreed, although it would have to alter the styling to allow for both the audio player and the value fields. I think it’s a nice QoL request and will put it on the corresponding list ^^

No worries, feel free to ask anything :smiley: Personal notes and synonyms can be added during lessons and reviews. At the back of the card you can click on the round floating pencil button (the one you can drag around) and enter them.

Depending on the deck you are using, the notes and synonyms can show up on the cards as well, but this depends on the creator of the layouts that the cards use, as they need to add two tags to them. I think the wk expansion deck uses the default layouts, so in that case they’d show up :smiley:

A recent backend change has made it possible to add personal synonyms and notes to cards regardless of the learned status, so I can now add the personal notes and synonym fields to the edit card popup/page as well. Is that something you (or others) would like to see or do you think editing during lessons/reviews is fine already?

2 Likes

Ahhh, I think I’m just being silly then - I thought that was only for adding synonyms *head desk*

I would probably find use for that yes, for editing in mnemonics and note from the manage card page instead of waiting for them to come up in lessons :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Figured ^^ I’ll add it to my todo list :smile:

2 Likes

It would be pretty convenient to have the existing tags in a deck appearing in this section. This way, I wouldn’t have to write them nor worry about writing them in the exact way as the tag already being used :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh yeah agreed! We already got the tags list available for the advanced search, so getting it into the edit popup should be doable :smile: Thanks for the suggestion (as always :blush:)!

4 Likes

Would it be possible to also do it on the flashcard creation in the dictionary? :thinking:

3 Likes

Hello there. Dunno if it was already discussed but it would be nice if already reviewed decks did not disappear from Home page. Or mb moved down to “Today’s lessons” or smth.

1 Like

That sadly wouldn’t be possible because the tags are saved on a card basis, not on the deck. So at that point the data is not available (the edit card popup has the management table on the background, which has all the tags).

Hiya! Yeah I agree, I’ve had the ideas to add more sections there (like favorites/lessons left to do) but haven’t been able to implement those yet.

Thanks both for the suggestions :smile:

4 Likes

I am the author of Item Inspector. One of my users reports they were able to export Wanikani data to anki using Item Inspector. Anyone wants to try if it works with Kitsun? If so I will put a note in the Item Inspector top post. And if it doesn’t work I want to know why. I will fix Item Inspector to make it work.

3 Likes

I just tested an import and it works great. I haven’t explored the Item Inspector much but I can see the utility for sure. It has a lot of features so I’m still learning it

Couple notes, I’m putting this in notepad as a .txt (I have trouble w/ the kanji saving as a csv file in Excel for some reason). Nonetheless, the values come in with quotes and that is how Kitsun reads them (and will require entry for productive input which will drive users crazy for sure). And I see the Leech value will come in with quotes (I have it in the notes section here) while the WK level is unquoted…that may be enough but is there is a possibility to have an attached description to the value?

1 Like

Thanks for testing. I am happy that it works with Kitsun. I am currently working to improve the export feature so now is a great time to comment.

There are a few points you said I don’t understand.

What is the problem? Is this something related with Item Inspector?

I recall reading in the Anki documentation that Excel does a poor job at exporting csv so maybe this is the issue. They said Libre Office does great in that regard, and this is a free download if you want to give it a try.

Is there an issue with the lack of quotes for level? Do you want everything quoted?

The current behavior is to quote only columns where the values may include a comma, which would break the csv. Leech value is a real number so a comma may appear as a decimal marker in some locale. This is why it is quoted.

What do you mean by a description? Do you want a new column with a description in? What kind of description?

I am not familiar with Kitsun so you need to explain the details.

2 Likes

No, the pasting comes out the same. So unrelated to Item Inspector, I’ve come across this before in Excel so good to know.

I see, sounds like this is a necessary feature then. The Kitsun flashcard would likely be best as non-input unless users make edits to take out the quotes to function as productive input (which can be done). Personally I’m fine with non-input for these type of cards anyways, I type plenty with WK already.

Something like what you have in the export column that included the description within the value. Using the card above as an example, one could use ‘Leach Value 3.38’, ‘Level 26’ as an attachment just as you wrote. Not sure how Anki handles it, but it helps distinguish the numbers for both import and while reviewing. Not a deal breaker since I know what the values are was able to create a tag based on the level that can filter cards, just makes it more readable.

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 1.01.43 PM

Thanks for making such a tool :+1:, I will actually use this test deck now and add it to my other leech deck :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I don’t understand what you mean. I don’t know what is input and non-input are for you. I still don’t know if you want quotes or not.

• I can put an option to use a different separator so quotes are no longer necessary. The separator could be a semicolon or a tab or whatever Kitsun would use.
  • I can put an option to have quotes everywhere.
  • Or I can leave things as is because everything works fine.
  • Or I can do something else if I can figure out what is needed.

I don’t know which way I should go. Let me know what will work.

This could be done. I can add a checkbox to include descriptions. Which columns do you want descriptions in? My guess is:

• No descriptions for meanings and readings.
  • Descriptions everywhere else.
2 Likes

Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

Essentially:

Input- WK style, all answers need to be typed to pass. There is some forgiveness on the eng entry but jp entry needs to be precise just like WK.

Non-input - Anki style, user selects pass or fail manually

If possible, just no quotes. The comma will separate the value upon csv/txt import. I just tested a few manually by deleting the quotes and it worked just fine using input style.

Your list of options is quite extensive and I just tested a few. I’ll share with others so they can see and perhaps weight in but what you mentioned sounds great to me (no meaning/reading, yes everywhere else). I don’t how others are using Item Inspector beyond Anki so hopefully these changes won’t be an issue.

Option Values

1 Like

Can Kitsun accept a separator other than the comma? If so it will be much easier to remove quotes. Otherwise I can cook something that will work in the US but not in many of the other places because they use comma for the decimal marker.

This will be easy to do.

2 Likes

Kitsun accepts ; , and tabs (.tsv) as the separator, perhaps also a few others. It tries to auto detect the symbol being used to separate the values.

Thanks for adjusting your script to accommodate Kitsun users by the way! :smile:

4 Likes