@neicul I created an account using the same username!
I’ll activate the second wave of accounts tomorrow (it is now 1:30am here)
So far the first phase testers have done a tremendous job of reporting bugs and delivering useful feedback. Most of which occurred in the Kitsun Discord server
I hope the second phase will result in even more feedback, feature discussion and bugs being found.
I haven’t kept up with the thread. It has been a long week for me at work.
My apologies if this has probably been mentioned, but when you have cards with hidden text that appears upon mouse hovering (such as furigana, in my case), the Next button is in the way of this.
Safari 11.1 (13605.1.33.1.4)
I don’t remember that being mentioned you can check the Trello board (link in the OP) if you’re unsure whether a bug has already been flagged, though it’s probably still helpful to have information from more people on a bug, and multiple people asking for the same feature indicates popularity.
No worries, just mention anything you find! This is a problem I know about and is currently on the priority todo list on trello under the following task:
- Reviews/Lessons - add some top margin & move buttons to bottom
What happened was that I removed the topbar but did not give the cards a small top margin yet. so now the top of the card falls behind the button. I expect this to be fixed with the update later tonight
I see that you are using Safari, how is the experience on there? I currently have no means to test Kitsun on Safari so if you see anything weird, please let me know.
I’ve been trying to decide how use this while testing, since I don’t use Anki or anything similar right now. I think maybe I’ll focus on creating my own cards based on words I don’t know when I read Aria the Masterpiece. I kind of wish I had done something like that with Kiki’s Delivery Service, so this seems like a good opportunity.
Ah, yes, I should’ve check the Trello board. I will do so next time. I might drop in to the Discord channel in the future as well.
I’ve tested on both Safari (macOS) and Chrome (Win7), and so far the experience has been identical. No difference in how the page is rendered, too. Functionality is the same, as expected. I’m really liking the service so far. You have something really good in your hands here. Keep up the good work.
I spy an opportunity to test out deck sharing
@neicul will have to activate my account by June 23rd then.
@mztik That’s great to hear! Thanks for the kind words!
If you do decide to drop by on discord, you’ll get a fancy colour assigned
@seanblue This was my initial plan after reaching 60 as well. To make cards based on encountered vocab in reading material Sounds good!
Time to update! I’ll once again be posting the changelog here once it is done. Expect activations to come right afterwards
New update is here
- Table view for cards. You can now switch to a new view on the Cards Overview page. Expect mass management tools/actions to be added there in the next updates!
- Search function for cards. A search function has been added to make it easier to edit the cards you want. The search will look for any cards matching the query on both “tags” and “card field values”.
- Audio has been rehauled, it features a new standard design (can be styled with the class “.audio_wrapper”). The standard positioning is currently not completely good yet (it always goes to the most left position of the container it is in) but will be fixed soon.
- Audio autoplay is here! It is a little bit wonky but it works most of the time. Currently, it always autoplays audio on seeing a new card. This will be changed to work with your prefered setting asap.
- Reviews and lessons are now rounded to the current hour.
- Ctrl/Cmd + S can now be used to save your layout edits.
- Lesson/Review Buttons have been moved from top to bottom
- Default templates are now read only and have been updated
- Pressing tab while entering values for a card will now focus the next field
- IOS input fix
- Import batching improvements
- Caching problems should be fixed
- Default layouts/template set is now working right after first save.
- Input responding to enter after finishing
As always, please look at the trello board to see what has been changed and what is still left to do!
I’m going to start activating new accounts in a few minutes!
All invites for the second wave have been sent!
Please check your mailbox (and spam folder) to see if your account got activated.
And if your account got activated, please join our lovely Kitsun Discord Server (link at the top post) to get access to all the latest updates/discussions.
Before reporting bugs, please take a look at the trello board (link also at the top post) to see what is still open!
I’ll be going to sleep now and will answer any questions when I wake up. Otherwise, you can ask for help in the Kitsun discord
Oh and please do a refresh if you already had the site open. Sometimes it doesn’t update until a full refresh. (fixing this soon)
Got the invite, let’s do some bug hunting!
Didn’t get an invite. Does that mean I’ll be in the third wave?
Just wondering if you have any idea when the third wave will be, and how many people you think you’re going to invite?
Is it totally random, or in order of signing up?
I hope it’s somewhat random because I only signed up yesterday and I want to use it within a month.
Mine was in the spamfolder. So don’t forget to check there.
Oh hey, thanks for the reminder because mine was in the spam folder.
@neicul First suggestion while I’m here (and don’t have access to the discord server). I accidentally clicked the “Sign Out” button when seeing what the different tabs were. Perhaps it would be good to add a little vertical space between the other tabs and the “Sign Out” button to differentiate it from the rest.
@neicul It seems like you were trying to match WaniKani’s SRS interval’s for your defaults when creating a new deck, but the last two intervals are off. Not that you have to have your defaults match theirs of course, but if you really want to here are their official intervals: https://github.com/tofugu/wanikani-api-v2-doc/blob/version/20170710/source/includes/_additional_information.md
Related to creating a new deck, is there a way to save your desired SRS intervals? I think most people would want to use the same intervals for everything (or maybe a few variations), so always going back to the system defaults is not ideal. I see three options that would be better than always using the defaults.
- Remember what the user used for their most recently created deck. This option is simple, but perhaps not obvious, and it only lets you use one value.
- Allow the user to specify their default interval in a setting. This option is still relatively simple, but it’s more obvious. However, it still only lets you use one value.
- Allow the user to make SRS interval templates. This option is the most flexible, but is perhaps too complex and could be unintuitive.
My preference is option 2 for finding the right balance between simplicity and usefulness.
Also, I think you need to add a guide and/or hover tips for creating a new deck. Perhaps it’s mostly because I only used Anki for all of 5 minutes before, but I have no idea what most of the options are for. I’m sure I can figure them out by experimenting later (which I plan to do), but there should be some explanation somewhere.
The only specific one I’m curious about now is the
Public option. Does that do anything right now, or is that for a future search functionality related to shared decks?
Also, given the nature of SRS, I’d recommend warning if you try to save a non-increasing SRS interval. In the spirit of flexibility, you probably don’t want to disallow it, but I feel like for most people it would probably be done by mistake.
I think you should add a warning on the deck add/edit page if you try to navigate away and there are unsaved changes. That would include clicking the “Back” button, clicking one of the other tabs in the navigation bar, and potentially even trying to close the tab.
Small UX bug I think. When I save a deck, all of the fields get a green border except for the “Description” field. Similarly, when I focus then unfocus a field, it turns green, except for the “Description” field. Also, “Order Method” only turns green if I change the value, whereas the inputs turn green just by clicking in and then out of them.
That’s it for now for adding/editing decks. I’ll create a new post for anything I find later.
@seanblue thanks for all the feedback!
- Noted about the vertical space.
- Community decks are not active yet, the public setting is supposed to make it a community deck later on.
- Good catch with the levels!
- There is no way yet but I will put nr 2 as a feature request
- guides/wizards/tooltips etc are currently on the todo list! Definitely need to put that in asap.
- added to the feature request list
- warning before navigation after editting is also on the list
- the fields only turn green if the validation on it had no errors. The description field is not required and therefor has no validation. That’s the reason it is not changing colours
Thanks for the really detailed report! Im adding the points to the trello list now. Please take a look to see if there’s anything else on there that you might’ve encountered so you don’t report the same things ^^
Oh and in the mean time check out post #2 in the thread for a general (bit outdated) how to use!