MaruMori.io & Kitsun.io - [UPDATE: ALL ABOARD THE N3 TRAIN] - Grammar SRS, Grammar Lessons, Reading Exercises, Vocabulary, Kanji and more!

Are all cards created with different layouts at the same time considered siblings? It just occurred to me that EN → JP and JP → EN can interfere with one another.

1 Like

Thank you so much @neicul and @Radish8 !

I spent a lot of time trying the site out yesterday and figuring out how best to use it. At the moment all I do to study Japanese is use WK and KW, do a bit of reading, listen to a lot of Japanese radio (most of which I don’t understand at all!) and sometimes (rarely) glance at my physical copy of Tae Kim. I know I need to study grammar, but I fall asleep the moment I start. It’s only really reading that I like.

So I’ve set up a deck based on にゃんにゃん, just to help me read that. I’ve taken sentences (or bits of sentences) and made them into cards to read aloud. The kanji is left in raw and my task is to add the reading. (I actually used the grammar template for this as it seemed easier to use). The idea is that I’ll read the sentences (or sentence fragments) aloud each time and it will help a bit with grammar too!

I love that this site allows you to create what is effectively your own little study pack totally tailored to what you need. I know I still have a lot to learn about setting it up, and I’ve only made 11 cards so far, but it’s already helpful, and a lot of fun! Thank you!

2 Likes

Aaah, I love that you used the front cover as the deck image :smile:

One of the main things I’m using it for is to create an EN > JP deck of words I learned in FloFlo :+1:

1 Like

Right now, yes. I am working on implementing the following features though:

• A second dropdown in which you can select which layouts should form siblings

• A deck setting which makes it so you never get any siblings in the same lesson/review sessions (next session you’d get the sibling with layout #2 and so on)

@marcusp I’m really glad to hear that you enjoy using the website. There are a lot of tools in there, which you could eventually get yourself familiar with if you’d like to. Just take your time and keep on building the deck :smiley:

I think you’ll eventually have a really cool deck which might be fun to share with other users as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

I totally didn’t realise you could do that!
Super helpful info!
It’s a shame you can’t change that once you’ve already made cards, but I’ve only made 15 so far so I’m just going to recreate them.

1 Like

Which aspect do you mean? :grin:

(just don’t want you recreating cards if it’s not necessary!)

1 Like

I’m guessing you mean selecting multiple layouts to create multiple “sibling” cards at the same time? :slight_smile:

I’m adding in the ability to change the layouts after the card has been created, so you might not have to recreate them!

Also, I’m going to replace the layout dropdown (on the add cards page) with small thumbnails of the layouts, which you can then select. That way it’s probably a bit more clear and user friendly :smiley:

1 Like

You are?! :heart_eyes:

Still gotta find out a way to make the thumbnails, but yes! Thank @hinekidori for this wonderful idea ^^

1 Like

@all testers

Just a headsup:
I’m changing the way styling works. Styling will now be template based rather than specific per layout. It will use the styling of the first layout under the template.

Meaning that all layouts under a template will use the same styling from tomorrow onward. If you want to make specific changes per layout (like different colors), you will have to work with class/id styling in the new generic styling.

So what does this mean for you?
If you have any layouts under the same template, that have different stylings, please back them up so you can change it to “class/id” based styling after the change!

2 Likes

I already pray to Hine every night before going to bed.

2 Likes

@neicul You asked a week or two ago about people’s interest in Kitsun given the lack of activity on the site. Sorry for the late response. I haven’t been using it much partly because I’m busy with life, and partly because I’m focusing on other Japanese stuff like WaniKani and reading. It’s hard for me to fit in more SRS in my schedule.

Now, from the bits I’ve used there’s the question of whether or not I’d subscribe later. I think this will largely come down to the community aspects of the site. One thing using the site has confirmed for me is that I have no interest in customizing an SRS program. I prefer stuff like WaniKani and iKnow, where it pretty much works out of the box. I might tweak things a little (such as changing SRS intervals), but I won’t want to majorly customize layouts or build large decks from scratch. I’m hopeful that the community aspects will allow people like me to really enjoy the site without having to tinker with it too much.

2 Likes

No problem, the activity has actually picked up since then, so that’s nice :slight_smile:

As for your feedback, I completely agree and have been making a lot of changes aimed at simplifying the website and general flow. It’s also the reason I’ve been aiming at getting the community decks in there as soon as possible, as it either makes or breaks the website for a lot of people.

Even though it’s often said that creating your own decks is way better, most people will still go for the premade decks and curated content. And I totally get that, I’m kinda the same.

I plan to finish curating the JLPT N5-N1 Vocab Decks as soon as possible and including them as default decks for everyone participating in this beta. I will use those decks myself as well so there will be constant updates to them as well. So that’s a nice starting point for other testers I think :slight_smile:

Anyways, the list of things left to do is getting smaller and smaller, I think I might be able to tackle Community decks from next week onwards :smiley:

Edit:
To further elaborate on this; The beta test is more like anki than WK in terms of usablity. Mostly due to the beta still missing a huge amount of UI/UX improvements and features like the community decks.

The launched product should be as easy as WK to start with, and as advanced as anki in case the user wants it to. This has been my goal from the start.

4 Likes

:point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2:

3 Likes

My account was made active the past week! Spent the weekend playing around and getting familiar but need to wait for the update so I can change the layout on a card once I’ve imported it. This is important as I have a master vocabulary list in Excel which I import into Anki. Anki will then create Kanji reading cards if there is a value in the relevant field. Need to turn this layout off in Kitsun after I import words that are hiragana only.

What I’d love to see is a way to re-import or mass edit cards. With my master list I use tags to indicate the source of the word, for example JFBP1 (Japanese for Busy People Vol 1). When I study a new source I add the new words to the spreadsheet and if there are duplicates I add another tag to the existing word (‘Genki1’ for example) so I don’t re-study the same word but it shows it came from multiple sources. I then re-import the spreadsheet into Anki and it keeps my SRS timings and just updates the content.

Easy to do one at a time as you encounter words but when you get a bulk source of new words it really helps.

Otherwise loving the layout and the feel of it. Excited to see what comes and become a subscriber :smiley:

2 Likes

I hope to include the “mass edit” feature for tags and layouts of cards with tonight’s update (I’m not 100% sure I can get it in there on time tho).

Seeing as you are importing from excel, the new (advanced) csv/txt import might be of use for you. I actually have the exact same scenario with the JLPT deck I’m creating.

The advanced csv/txt import will work like this:

• You create the deck/template/layouts in Kitsun first
  • Go to the advanced import and select the file
  • You can now select a deck
  • Select a template and match the columns of your file to the corresponding template fields
  • Select which layouts you’d like

This means that you can do the import twice for one deck, once for words with kanji and once for words which are hiragana only.

Since your list is in excel, you could just copy paste everything into a .txt file (separate for hiragana-only and not) and it should work straight away :smiley:

This “advanced import” will probably be included in tonights update (as I also need it for the JLPT Decks)

Thanks for your feedback and kind remarks!

1 Like

It’s update time! It’s a big one :slight_smile:

Gonna pull the website down in a few minutes!

2 Likes

Update is live, changelog below:

New features:

• You can now reorder decks by dragging them. Quick note: if you have more than 20 decks, it might not sort it correctly because of pagination. I’m looking into saving it at the server side in order to fix it.

• Parantheses and the contents inbetween them will now be filtered when validating the input answer. so “Bladiebla (123awd)” will now mark as correct if you fill in “Bladiebla”

• Sibling cards can now be filtered during lessons and reviews. You can toggle it on at the deck settings and set the delay which determines when you will see the next sibling card pop into your reviews. Toggling it on will filter ALL siblings.

• The deck settings and sidebar have gotten a overhaul, it should now be clear which values you need to fill in and which you can leave alone.

• The way styling works has been changed. Instead of having styling per layout, it now has a “global” styling per template. This means that all layouts under that template will use the same styling. To make differences, you can use different classes or ids in your html and set specific css for those.

• The layout dropdown at the add/edit card page has been changed! You will now see thumbnails for every layout (linked to the chosen template) available and can select them by clicking them.

• Favicon and some other website icons have been added.

• You can once again change the layouts of your existing cards.

• Furigana field types now support full width (JP) “{}” as delimiter characters. This means that you will not have to switch out of your JP IME when entering the furigana values. So 何回{なんかい}will now correctly display furigana above the kanji :slight_smile:

• Advanced CSV/TXT imports have been implemented. You can now import a word list into already existing decks/layouts and templates. More info on this below!

• There is now a Help page which you can find in the sidebar. It’s still a WIP but there is a quickstart in there!

Bugfixes

• You can once again move back to the previous lesson by pressing the left arrow key

• Anki import should not generate empty tags anymore

• Display field has been fixed

• Firefox browser default font has been replaced.

• Some UI/UX Changes

How to use the Advanced CSV/TXT Import:

5 Likes

Seventh wave of accounts has been activated

Once again 50 users!

Also, the Kitsun JLPT N5-N3 Decks should be arriving on either Wednesday or in the Weekend :slight_smile:
The N2-N1 decks will probably arrive a bit later.

BREAKING BUG FOUND
The thumbnails broke on IE & Edge and possibly also on Safari for Mac OSX. I’m changing it back to the regular dropdown for those browsers asap in the morning. For now please use a different browser or wait for the fix :wink:

Sorry for the inconvenience!

1 Like

Hotfixed the bug. It should work again :slight_smile:

1 Like