MaruMori.io & Kitsun.io - [UPDATE: ALL ABOARD THE N3 TRAIN] - Grammar SRS, Grammar Lessons, Reading Exercises, Vocabulary, Kanji and more!

That sounds awesome =O It’s cool that you continued to use a WK-type method past 60!

If I decide to invest in kitsun I’ll for sure check it out. Thanks :slight_smile:

I’ve really been trying to figure out how I want to best schedule myself around WK and I thought it may be good to work on words that use the Kanji I’ve been learning through WK. That way I can come out of it with more words than I normally would have. I was about to start mining words but figured it would be difficult to find words that only contained the kanji I knew thus far. That is without just memorizing words like I was doing before finding WK.

My current plan is to do WK at a rate around 8 days per level / Bunpro / immersion and then maybe mine new words, but like I said it feels weird to go back to just trying to memorize new readings without the wanikani background.

I’m wondering if someone put in the effort to make cards like you have for the lower levels including mnemonics o.o

3 Likes

You can try the Expansion Pack posted by @jprspereira (details below), that may be what you are looking for. The 10k is really nice and I believe you can filter by level as well so you have a couple options. There are threads that compare these decks if you want to explore it with more depth.

Kitsun actually makes card-making fun. I preferred a bit freedom while doing WK+BP together so creating vocab I had immediate use for (while low commitment) allowed me to keep 3 systems going together (just my pref). You have a lot of options :slightly_smiling_face: :fox_face:

Summary

Wanikani Expansion Pack!

Learn common words that aren’t on Wanikani! These words are ordered by WK level, so that you’re able to learn them as you go on with learning your kanji!

• More than 4700 words for you to learn!
  • Modern looks - Kitsun default template integrated!
  • All cards have Part of Speech.
  • All words are tagged by WK level, so you can jump to your current level right away if you wish to!

You can study words:

• Japanese - Reading
  • Japanese - Meaning
  • English - Japanese

If you wish to deactivate any of the above, you can do so in the deck settings!

How to study:

If you also wish to do English - Japanese, I recommend activating “Delay Card Siblings” in the deck settings (in the Study Session category), as this not only leads to a bigger exposure the content learned, but also avoids having English - Japanese mixed up with Japanese - English (that would spoil you the answer).

Kunyomi mnemonics for i-adj or verbs is nice, but optional IMO. I think the given mnemomics you have on many readings hear can build alot of words. Not to mention an ocean of hiragana-only or katakana loan words where mnemonics are not necessarily convenient.

2 Likes

Is there away to remove or hide this? On mobile i am constantly tapping these on accident and it redirects me which is very annoying:/

1 Like

Hey @IgorTheGreat!

I’m assuming this is the 10k deck or the Genki deck? Those layouts were created by @hinekidori so I’m afraid I can’t be much of help here :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It is that deck. Im sorry i didn’t specify it is the only one i have been using so i didn’t know they looked different :sweat_smile:

1 Like

My suggestion would be for you to do the Core 10k on Kitsun actually (Top 10000 most common words in Japanese), because there’s a way of learning the top most common words that only use kanji you know.

If you go to the management table of that deck, you’ll see all the cards on it. You can then click on 1 (check pic below), and search for the tags “L1”, “L2”, “L3”, etc. If I got it correctly, those tags correpond to the WK level where you’ll be able to read the kanji used in those words.

Tags:

You then can select them all (1), then click on actions (2) and select “Add to front of lessons queue”. This will put those exact cards you selected to the front of your lessons pile, so that they’ll appear on your lessons first.

You can also search for the tag “Kana” and that will give you all the cards written in hiragana/katakana. No kanji knowledge needed to learn those ones :slight_smile: You can then repeat the whole process I mentioned above.

Let me know in case I made it a bit confusing :slight_smile:

7 Likes

2021-01-07

Website-focused update again! :grin: The Lifetime Membership Sale was a great success and the Kitsun team has expanded to a total of 6 members (from 1). I will introduce all the team members at a later date so stay tuned for that :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: A sincere THANK YOU to everyone who supported Kitsun and made this possible! :heart:

New features:

• Kanji Dictionary Tool - Stroke Order diagrams are now fetched from Kitsun itself. This also fixes the broken images in the Kanji results. I will run a script over the database later to update all the already generated cards :slight_smile:

• Community Centre - Redesign of the Community Centre is now live! This change will make it look similar to the upcoming mobile apps. It also includes many tweaks and fixes to make the pages more responsive and mobile friendly. Here’s how it looks:

• Community Decks - Deck Creators can now request published cards to be deleted. This can be done from the cards management table from the original deck (not the community version). I will periodically check the deletion requests and approve them, deleting both the original and the community version of the card. This also wipes the progress of all users of the card (as expected), hence why this action has to be approved by me.

• Reviews - Wrap up now includes items marked wrong in the current session.

• Whitelist - added <a> HTML tags to the whitelist of accepted field values.

Bugfixes:

• Dictionary Tool - Fixed an issue with a popup not showing up while scrolling down the page, essentially locking the page until you refreshed.

• Cards Management - Fixed an issue where content of a popup would not scroll if the content was larger than the screen.

7 Likes

What’s the long term plan for this? If Kitsun becomes big enough, having you manually approve deletions may become a burden in the long run.

2 Likes

At that point we will probably have a team of moderators :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if there is another good solution for this as it could impact thousands of users if someone maliciously or accidentally deletes cards from a published deck.

3 Likes

True. You don’t want someone who created a popular deck to rage quit Kitsun by deleting all their content.

2 Likes

I just sent one through! For anyone sending requests and have a hibernated card, you have to un-hibernate the card (awaken) and get out of the deck and then go back into deck manager in order to see the ‘mark for deletion’ option. Otherwise the option was just not appearing on the list for me.

1 Like

Random question, since i made an account long ago, i did not even tried Kitsun.io and now i can’t, since my account expired (unless I create another account).
Can i make my own Decks from diferent topics or only for language learning?

1 Like

Oh that’s weird! It should always show regardless of the current status of the card. I’ll have to doublecheck if it’s working as intended then!

You can create decks and cards for any topic that you are interested in, especially if you create your own layouts (if you have HTML/CSS knowledge) you can completely customize everything. Right now Kitsun is pretty focused on language learning and Japanese in particular, but we will be expanding to other subjects in the future as well :smiley:

Is your account name on Kitsun the same as here? I can give you some trial time to check it out :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is!! I would like that please!

1 Like

Done! You should now have 7 days of time on your trial :smiley:

2 Likes

Not sure if you tried to delete the marked card or not but I’ve set it for ‘mark for deletion’ a couple times and still appears in the deck.

2 Likes

Yeah sorry, there’s something I want to double check on the backend for the deletion feature, but I’ll definitely get to it tomorrow! I’ll let you know when it has been deleted :smiley:

1 Like

Deleted! Could you confirm whether everything looks fine for you? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks good to me, card is gone, thx!

1 Like

2021-01-17

Introducing the first few features focused on Korean!

New features:

• A Korean auto-conversion input has been added. This input automatically converts your regular (English usually) input into Hangul, in the same way that an IME would (So it also combines characters into a single character like when typing ak and when you type another a after that) .

You can add it to your own layouts like this: {{type-kr:fieldname}}

• Added a new default template for Korean. This template includes Korean -> Meanings and Meanings -> Koreanlayouts. These layouts also use the above mentioned conversion input so there is no need to switch IME/Keyboards yourself :slight_smile: Note that I’m not very well versed in Korean, so if anyone has suggestions please let me know!

• Reviews Timeline - The Styling has been altered a bit.

• Reviews Timeline - Current Reviews are now displayed differently.

Bugfixes:

• Reader - Fixed an issue where the generated furigana would sometimes contain okurigana.

• Reader - Fixed an issue where the generated furigana would sometimes be the hiragana reading of a katakana word behind a kanji.

• Reviews - Fixed an issue where n would sometimes be converted to hiragana rather than katakana when using a katakana-only input.

• iOS - .wav audio files should now play correctly on iOS devices.

• Mobile - Scrolling down at the frontside of a card during the quiz portion of a lesson session will no longer mark the card as incorrect.

• Android - Home stat bubbles no longer show lines.

5 Likes