MaruMori.io & Kitsun.io - [UPDATE: ALL ABOARD THE N3 TRAIN] - Grammar SRS, Grammar Lessons, Reading Exercises, Vocabulary, Kanji and more!

Thanks for your reply! That makes sense. I like that limit, as it’s easy for me to want to do too much too fast, especially where nothing is “gated” in MaruMori. At the same time, I like that nothing is gated, as it lets you go at your own pace. It’s the best of both worlds - a built-in caution to not go too fast, but freedom to adjust that if you’re comfortable with more (or less).

2 Likes

Exactly why it is the way it is! :smile: Glad it’s to your liking!

2 Likes

Hey there :blush:
I just found MaruMori and consider changing my course.
What bothers me about my previous textbook is that I can’t download any audio. I would like to listen to some phrases and example conversations while driving but they don’t offer a service like that. Only on the website and not sorted. Everything is hidden somewhere.

Would that be possible with MaruMori? Something like an auto played Anki deck with phrases that I could listen to? It should play the Japanese and the translation.

1 Like

Heya! Thanks for giving MM a try! :tada:

We don’t have a playlist feature like that, but we do plan to add listening exercises in the next couple of months. However, these would not have voiced English translations.

I understand your use case for wanting English audio, but I must admit that it is not in our direct plans to add these at the moment.

Another thing we are considering is a “shadowing” section where you’d hear (sentence) audio and have to repeat them to also learn how to speak/pronounce Japanese, that might also be of interest to you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your quick reply!
Even listening exercises with only Japanese audio would be ok. Important is only that it can be played without the need to touch the device. I don’t know the English word for it but there is a technique where you listen to audio you know and understand in the background while doing other stuff. The feature would be useful for this, too.

Repeat to audio is a great feature! I started to use Speechling because of that feature.

1 Like

A variant of “passive immersion”.

2 Likes

Common sense would say that SRS’n while driving could be very dangerous to yourself and others, it is not just passive listening since it requires operating a device with a motorized vehicle. Seriously, thousands of people die every year.

That said, LipSurf via voice dictation has been shared on the forums that is compatible with a number of SRSs including WK and Kistun (though never tried). There are a number of decks on Kitsun with listening comprehension components that could be potentially used.

1 Like

When does the bundle discount end?

1 Like

MaruMori’s current discount will decrease on February 1st. The bundle will still be offered, but the bundle price will also increase because of MM’s portion increasing in price :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Passive immersion sounds like it’d be beneficial as you kinda get used to hearing your target language. Some say it’s even beneficial to listen to your target language while sleeping… Not so sure about that one though! :laughing:

1 Like

Thank you, you are absolutely right. Safety first :slight_smile:
I wouldn’t listen so something new that requires lots of thinking. Japanese as a cause of death would be something suitable for the Darwin Award.

2 Likes

Tried that. Woke up with a headache. Wouldn’t recommend.

1 Like

Awesome, signed up and good to go!

1 Like

Good to see the sale is still going, I thought I missed it! I just signed up on the MaruMori page, and FYI after paying, instead of a confirmation page, I got basically the same lifetime offer page again, but with a different background and without the text outside the pricing boxes. (I did get an email though and all the badges etc. when I clicked on my profile)

1 Like

@icky_equation @nellyneko Thank you both so much for the support! :tada: Welcome to the lifetime club!

Thanks for letting me know about the payment done page not showing up correctly. I’ll be sure to get that fixed ASAP!

2 Likes

Hello ^^
Shortly after the WK lifetime, here comes the Kitsun lifetime :tada:

I plan to finish Wanikani; and then move to Kitsun for the last few kanji, and vocabulary.

Although the retention rate of WK is working pretty well for me, sometimes I find vocabulary that I kind of know but don’t remember if they are from WK.
I know I will want to add to Kitsun vocabulary that I don’t know, and are not in wk (I would go back and unburn, rather that adding to kitsun)

Is there a way I can easily check in Kitsun if they are WK elements?
How would you suggest me to do?

Thank you and keep up the good work! :smiley:

1 Like

You can use the WaniKani Known Kanji & Vocab Filter where you can filter out (or in) known WK vocab/kanji to add to known base for deck filtering and Reader tool parsing percentage. How to use is in the description.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the support! :tada:

I think @s1212z (thanks!) already answered your question, but in case you still have questions just let me know and I’ll try my best to help out :smile:

3 Likes

[MaruMori bug][comment section]

It’s really easy to post the same comment multiple times by clicking the submit button again. It’d be better if it was disabled after clicking it once that way while the network catches up people don’t click it again not realizing the request already happened.

1 Like

MM is so far everything I was missing for Japanese learning. I’ve started over in WK several times but I always stall once I reach a point of learning grammar; I just hadn’t found a means of learning grammar that really jived with me (yes, I tried bunpro, among others). MM is exactly what I needed and I’m looking forward to its future.

I have one recurring bug which is making me scratch my head: I’m timezone GMT+10 but my MM ‘day’ swaps at noon, rather than midnight. I suspect some value got flipped somewhere? It’s navigateable but it is a little annoying when my day isn’t actually my day.

1 Like