MaruMori.io & Kitsun.io - [UPDATE: ALL ABOARD THE N3 TRAIN] - Grammar SRS, Grammar Lessons, Reading Exercises, Vocabulary, Kanji and more!

Hi,

Of course it would be very frustrating, I understand that.

I did mention a few times that I expected things to break with the last two updates, as they are very big and change the way pretty much all the data is being loaded. That’s why this is still a beta.

After launch I am not going to push a new update every few days. Rather every few weeks after having done a week of testing first.

As for the bug, it seems to be a Site-wide thing atm which I’m currently trying to fix. So expect it to work again soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can give you the word lists if you are interested? That way you could import them kana-only with the “advanced csv import”

Oh yes, of course! I understand that! It’s all part of the process!

2 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t mean to sound angry or anything haha, I appreciate that you took the effort to report it! :slight_smile:

I’ve deployed a hotfix for the dashboard, but I did notice a few more problems regarding loading lessons and the counters displaying inconsistently. So I’m still fixing those atm.

2 Likes

Deployed a second hotfix, I think everything should be back to normal now. If not, please let me know and I’ll fix it asap!

I’m sorry for the inconvenience.

3 Likes

Hey,

Sorry for the late reply, I was a bit busy with the hotfixes.

I have chosen for this intentionally:

I personally think the core settings such as SRS Intervals, filter siblings and scatter % should be decided by the creator of the deck. I think this will make it easier to get a “community” going around certain community decks as well (I’m thinking in terms of having eventual deck achievements/ forum threads per deck?). As the same SRS values means every user will have the same minimum time of completion. Kinda like how WK forces the same values for everyone.

I can adjust it to make it user specific though, if this is something you would prefer to see.

Perhaps other people can voice their opinion on this matter as well? Or we could have a poll about it.

In my opinion the creator should set the default settings, but where feasible other users should be able to change it for themselves. I get what you’re saying about the community/competition aspect, but I’m not sure if that’s enough of a reason to prevent this functionality. But that’s just one opinion, so I think creating a poll would make sense.

2 Likes

There’s also the (future) option of sharing with a generated link, to import the whole deck to the user’s account and giving them full control of the whole deck.

But I can see where you’re coming from. I will make a poll for it soon then :slight_smile:

FWIW I’d much prefer the ability, as a user, to override settings in a community deck. Sort of related would be the ability to add user info to cards (community or my own) such as notes and synonyms.

3 Likes

The only deck settings you are unable to change right now (iirc) are: SRS Intervals, Filter Siblings, Filtered delay, scatter percentage. Aside from obvious ones such as the name etc

I agree with being able to add synonyms & notes being an almost necessary feature. I’m going to put this on the to-do list.

I think it’s a bit difficult to make the call on this without being able to see the potential of the community aspect, especially without knowing what the likely numbers of users / deck are going to be.

I can imagine being frustrated if I really liked the content of a deck but just didn’t get along with the choices made about SRS levels and so on. Especially if I was only one of a few people using it, or didn’t care about the community aspect.

Perhaps you could give deck creators the option for a deck to be a ‘competitive deck’, in which case altering these settings wouldn’t be possible for users, while the default would be for editing to be possible? Maybe that would just confuse users though.

1 Like

Personally, I prefer if the fields are not editable by anyone apart from the deck creator. It is precisely for this reason that a level 40 on WK, or burning something, for example, actually means something. Otherwise a user could set anything and we would have no benchmarks. As someone who is firmly in the “structured learning” and “give me something ready that I don’t have to mess with” camps, having the ability to modify it seems tedious to me.
Having said that, if there were a way to distinguish users who have not messed with the settings vs those who have, I would be for the idea of letting users change the settings. Example: user A has modified their settings. User A’s deck progress has a symbol that shows that they do not sue the same deck settings and can therefore not be user for fair comparisons.

1 Like

Poll: Who decides the SRS Intervals and Scatter Percentage for community decks? Here’s the main pro’s to each side:
User:

• More control for the user, in case they don’t like the settings set by the author

Author:

• Sets a minimum pace for the deck, making it easier to form a community and get “competition” going for that specific deck (like WK often has “race to 60” threads and such)
  • Let the author decide
  • Let the user decide

0 voters

Okay, very quickly: I don’t necessarily agree with the user being able to change the SRS system. Remember that Kitsun is about making it easier for the “average user” to enjoy the flashcard world. They shouldn’t be responsible to decide which SRS intervals they’ll use. They want a good looking deck that fulfills their needs, they want to click on it and use it without effort. The less decisions they make, the better.

However, I can understand how more advanced users might want to customize it. We’re all different. Surely, a user with a cv of 100k+ flashcards will have a more clear notion of what SRS intervals work best for them compared to someone who’s just starting.

I’d advise this: allow creators to define the SRS intervals they believe as ideal to the deck they’re creating. This will come to every user as a pre-defined settings of the deck. Then allow users to change the SRS intervals, but give them one big and scary message: The defined SRS intervals were considered to be the best by the deck creator. Changing them might negatively affect your performance with this deck. Do you still wish to proceed?

Also, one more thing:

This will be important for when you decide on the structure of levels/rewards in Kitsun @neicul. I believe that if you allow users to change the SRS intervals of community decks, they must not be rewarded for any progress they may have made except for the knowledge they gain. Their work in modified community decks will not be taken into consideration when measuring and comparing levels, points gained, scoreboard, etc. A “level 40” will always be a level 40. There must not be any possible way to manipulate the results.

5 Likes

Personally i don’t care at all about the competing side (e.g leaderboards etc), so for me its an ok compromise if customising SRS settings takes you out of those calculations.

But honestly, for language learning, i really recommend against leaderboard style reward systems, they are terrible because you cannot compare two people’s language progress, everyone’s journey is different and IMHO encouraging people to compete on speed is setting people up to fail from the beginning.

Having said that, achievement style rewards are good IMO, as they could help to break up large decks and give you a sense of progress.

I’m probably digressing the topic somewhat here but it seems partly relevant since some people’s arguments for preventing customisation step from a desire to compare their progress to others.

If people strongly wanted to compare their progress, my personal feeling is an alternative to leaderboards could be an average %. E.g % people on average have this achievement, you are in the top x% for time taken or cards firefox’d.

Having said all that though, i wouldn’t vote against leaderboards just because i dont want them. Kitsun needs to cater to different tastes and thats fine. And that’s pretty much why i believe the settings should be customisable, if a user wishes, so people can do what works for them.

Just my 2c!

2 Likes

I think most of us agree that it should be customizable then, but have the settings of the creator by default.

3 Likes

I believe that won’t happen with Kitsun. It will depend on what and how you implement a ranking score or whatever there will be created. WK has this competition problem because the system is very straight-forward. However, I don’t think it affects users outside of the wanikani forums to be honest. It’s like anything else in life.

This is a topic to discuss in the future however. I mentioned it as a way to solve @VegasVed’s problem (which to be honest, he’s far from being the only one with those concerns). People do everything to look good, even if it means cheating. There are people literally doing genki decks on Memrise just to show up as a top scorer (even though they already learned the content ages ago).

4 Likes

How often do you activate accounts? I applied like a month ago and still haven’t had any notice. I’d really like to try this out.

2 Likes

Lately I’ve been activating 50+ accounts every Sunday. Right now about 50% of all registered accounts have been activated.

I want to double the amount per week once the community decks feature is live. But that might still take a few weeks.

2 Likes

If it’s not too much trouble that’d be great!

1 Like