MaruMori.io & Kitsun.io - [UPDATE: ALL ABOARD THE N3 TRAIN] - Grammar SRS, Grammar Lessons, Reading Exercises, Vocabulary, Kanji and more!

I think I found a bug. It Occurs when using the dictionary page on Mac OS X (10.14.3) with with Safari (12.0.3) our Chrome (72.0.3626.119) and the IME that comes with Mac OS .

When I type in a hiragana string, the kanji picker menu pops up. I pick a kanji from the list and hit enter. The site comes up with searching but the text entry box reverts either to empty or to the last kanji entered.

Problem doesn’t exist on iOS safari using the stock iOS IME or when I copy paste a kanji into the search box on the Mac.

1 Like

On review sessions,

I usually pressed “Esc” successfully to ignore on Safari browser, but on Chrome browser, it didn’t work. I had to click that yellow “ignore” to ignore.

Also on Chrome when I got red, enter/return didn’t work to go the next item to review, I had to click “>” arrow to go to the next item to review. On Safari, it worked fine.

Mojave. Mac. Lightning on. Katakana 4.5k Deck.

1 Like

I intend to let the author fill in a level field during card creation.

Then they will be able to decide the required srs level for every item and perhaps the % of cards needed to unlock the next level.

I think it’s quite different in implementation :stuck_out_tongue: But I’ll put it on the request list :slight_smile:

@elynchbell Thanks for reporting! I think what happens is that your IME uses enter to pick the kanji, where kitsun uses enter to start the search. I’m not sure if it’s possible but you could try to select the kanji with the mouse (instead of enter) and see if it still occurs?

I’m not sure if I can do much about it :\

@Oshin Hmm, I’m really unsure about what’s happening with your chrome instance. The worst thing about it is that I can’t really debug it myself (I don’t have a mac available) :sweat: I’ll try to grab a hold of a mac device sometime soon! Thanks for reporting and sorry for the inconvenience!

2 Likes

:fox_face::heart:

2 Likes

I just checked the commits I made to my source control andddddd:

Kitsun is 1 year old!

Apparantly my first commit was at 28 february 2018!

I’d like to sincerely thank everyone who provided feedback, their thoughts or just checked Kitsun out!

Without you all Kitsun wouldn’t be anywhere close to where it is at the moment. It has grown tremendously in the last year and I’m sure it will in the coming years as well! This is all due to you reporting bugs and suggesting new features or proposing better solutions.

With that in mind, here’s a new broad roadmap of what’s going to be developed in the foreseeable future:

Currently working on:

• Native apps for both android and iOS
  • Offline mode (I really want to make this happen, hopefully it will work out :smile: )

Next up:

• Better card management tools (searching tools etc)
  • Simplified card creation process (no need to choose templates/layouts)
  • More dictionary integrations (kanji, other languages etc)
  • Visual Layout Creator
  • Level/Card unlock system (level based unlocking ala WK)
  • Statistics
  • Gamification (user levels/exp etc)
  • Layout Community Centre (sharing card styling with others!)

After that:

• Interactive tutorials
  • A Default Deck showcasing all possibilities for cards and explaining the system
  • Updating the Guide pages with all functionality, better formatting and a ton of images.
9 Likes

誕生日おめでとうきつんさん

Thanks for you hard work senpai. I will still be using kitsun in the futur.

3 Likes

It doesn’t occur if you select the Kanji with the mouse.

1 Like

Thanks! Then I think it’s like I said… I’ll take a look when I get my hands on a mac device :slight_smile:

Bug report: “More time” button and then “Quiz” is making the quiz not showing every card learned.

• I just learned a batch of 3 cards pre quiz. Cards 1, 2 and 3.
  • I clicked on “More time”, which then lead me to only showing card 3. I can’t move sideways to access cards 1 and 2.
  • Went to the quiz, and it only made me review card 1.
  • Clicked on “Continue” to continue lessons, and now card 3 is showing up at 1st position in this new batch (where’s card 2?).
  • Did lessons until the quiz told me there were no more left. But actually, card 2 was still left. That card was put into the back of the pile. The system told me I finished lessons when I still had 1 :inbox_tray: 8 :white_check_mark: on the top right corner.
  • In fact, in the deck’s page, I still had 1 lesson left. I clicked to do it, and it was card 2.

I can easily recreate this bug just by doing “more time” => “quiz”. I think “more time” does all the bugging itself.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll get back to you on this soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Notice the 2nd kanji. I assume it’s the Chinese equivalent? :thinking:

The Japanese word being 裁判所. If so, is there anything I can do for it to display the Japanese ones? Is this a Kitsun or a Chrome thing? :thinking:

2 Likes

Seems to be displaying well for me, I think it depends on the fonts installed on your computer. What does your phone show you?

1 Like

The samsung keyboard displays the Chinese (?) character, but Kitsun itself displays the Japanese one o:

2 Likes

I’m not sure how to prevent this other than asking the user to install the correct language fonts on their devices (I assume this is the issue). I can’t tell Kitsun to always use a Japanese font due to it also being used to study Chinese etc.

With the new simplified card creation flow (choose language/subject of the deck → use default layouts/templates premade for that language/subject) it might be doable to say “Oh it’s a Japanese deck → force a Japanese font to be used”… kinda?

1 Like

I just noticed I didn’t get back to you on this issue. I’ll put it on the list for this weekend :slight_smile:

1 Like

for a moment I was sure you were answering your own comments

1 Like

Route: https://kitsun.io/deck/<deckId>/cards/
Action: Search using a single kanji, 茶 in this example
Expected: Search results are sorted first on “relevancy” then other criteria
Observed: Search results where 茶 appears in a context sentence (i.e. some other field) are are sorted before some results that contain 茶 in the vocab field.

Actual URL: Kitsun.io

If you’re using SQL here then something like this would put matches that had the term at the start of the vocab field first, followed by matches that contain the term anywhere in the vocab field. PostgreSQL syntax used

SELECT column_expressions
FROM row_source
WHERE criteria 
ORDER BY substring(Vocabulary from '#"SEARCH_TERM#"%' for '#'), 
  substring(Vocabulary from '%#"SEARCH_TERM#"%' for '#'), 
AnotherSortField, YetAnotherSortField
2 Likes

The CSS seems to have multiple rules affecting font. Note how the first one prefers PingFang (Chinese) and the second prefers NotoSansJapanese. Note that NotoSansJapanese is imported at the top of your CSS.

The text elements seem to pick up on the browser defaults, so I see Arial since that’s my configured Sans font in Chrome.

body {
    height: 100%;
    -moz-osx-font-smoothing: grayscale;
    -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;
    text-rendering: optimizeLegibility;
    font-family: Helvetica Neue,Helvetica,PingFang SC,Hiragino Sans GB,Microsoft YaHei,Arial,sans-serif
}
body {
    font-family: Helvetica Neue,Helvetica,Roboto,Hiragino Sans GB,Microsoft YaHei,Arial,sans-serif;
    font-family: Noto Sans Japanese,Roboto,Mplus\ 1p,Helvetica Neue,Helvetica,Hiragino Sans GB,Microsoft YaHei,Arial,sans-serif;
}
1 Like

Thanks for your reports! I’m aware that the searching/sorting cards is lacking at the moment, it’s next on my list after the native apps that I’m currently creating :slight_smile:

I don’t use SQL for Kitsun, but thanks for the example!

I made it load in NotoSansJapanese due to reports about a year ago that Kanji was being displayed as their Chinese equalivants, the main focus for Kitsun back then was Japanese so I included it as the “default”. Guess it didn’t completely update it everywhere back then.

Now I’m a bit conflicted as to what to do about it though, like I stated above, Kitsun isn’t used for Japanese only anymore, and it is likely that userbases for other languages will start increasing in the future. So setting the default to Japanese might not be wanted anymore…

Once again thanks a bunch :smiley:

1 Like

Can’t you do it depending on the deck? Like, the Japanese decks are in the Japanese deck section on the community centre… :thinking:

2 Likes