MaruMori.io & Kitsun.io - [UPDATE: ALL ABOARD THE N3 TRAIN] - Grammar SRS, Grammar Lessons, Reading Exercises, Vocabulary, Kanji and more!

^ this guy has thought of everything

1 Like

Hi!
As others have stated while I was asleep, it is certainly possible to use input fields for typing in answers.

In order to do so for your own cards, you can put {{type:fieldname}} or {{type-ja:fieldname}} in your layouts (which are used by your cards).

fieldname being the name of the template your card is using. If you would like to see it in action, please go to the layouts page and look at one of the default Kitsun layouts. You will see an input field already build in there :slight_smile:

Of course, you can always choose to just use the Kitsun layouts and templates in order to create your cards and forgo tweaking or creating layouts/templates yourself :smile:

1 Like

Let me clarify that real quick ^^ Torii is not a WK script, it doesn’t have WK api integration either. It’s a desktop/android app dedicated to learning (core 10k) vocabulary. It has an (optional) WK mode which doesn’t include WK vocab and orders new lessons by the WK-level of the kanji.

< /off-topic>

10 Likes

Thanks for clearing that up. :grin:

@MacMalarkey - I hope being better informed will assist you in your search for the learning tool that best fits your needs.

Good luck!

5 Likes

@neicul thanks for all your hard work! I got activated in the last round, looking forward to finally getting to use the site. It looks amazing! You obviously care about creating a quality product.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for the compliments! I try my best :smiley:

Looking forward to seeing your feedback if you have any!

2 Likes

Going to pull down the website for the new update in a few minutes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Update is live! Here’s what has changed:

New Features

• Cards view preference (table or visual cards) is now saved in your browser cookies. Meaning it will remember your preference the next time you visit the website.

• Reversed Chronological ordering for lessons has been added (Newest → Oldest)

• Backside audio autoplay can now be toggled on or off in the deck settings.

• You can now set your deck active or inactive. This works the same as WK’s vacation mode.

• Summary and Details html tags have been whitelisted and can now be used in your layouts.

• The timeline has been completely overhauled! You can now change the amount of days, use the select tool to select a specific range. A total counter has been added which will change depending on your selection. It also saves your prefered amount of days in the browser cookies. Meaning it will remember it next time you use Kitsun (or a different deck overview)

Sneak peak of new timeline

Bugfixes

• The Add/Edit Deck page has had it’s layout changed and now looks a bit less messy.

• The popup after finishing a lesson batch (after the quiz part) has had it’s buttons order and text changed

4 Likes

What I believe you should do, the very foremost of Anki’s true power – is *.csv import; that allows multiple fields.
Secondly, having multiple fields will allow multiple models per note (per template).

About troubles I have with Anki Desktop in the past, are mainly:

1. Automatic multiple decks creation; with sub-decks and one model type per deck (but 1 note have multiple models, so one note in multiple decks) – I do that with the power of AnkiConnect – you might try to create an API for Kitsun?
  2. Exporting while retaining 1 (10) 240 480 intervals – I believe this is a bug / unsupported feature in Anki

About TTS, for Anki, there is AwesomeTTS and I tried to do that with Japanese, too; but it doesn’t work with AnkiDroid. Also, it isn’t very accurate for Japanese (e.g. 行って – always おこなって).

People have always try to bring voice to Anki, if no TTS in AnkiDroid; they try to make up with voice files – a very large file size (~600M) – and have to bypass the normal syncing process.

I have to do this with Chinese, though and it is quite accurate, I think. I am too used too Japanese Kanji and the associated voice-in-my-head; and I have to break it to learn a new language despite similar characters.

Lastly, Anki says that it supposed to work with tags; rather than sub-decks – but I like sub-decks more.

2 Likes

@polv
Haha I was just writing my reply to you in the other thread:

• CSV/Text/JSON import is being implemented as we speak :slight_smile: It’s on the priority feature list

• I’m not quite sure what you mean with this, I assume you mean you’d like to create fieldsets? That’s possible under “Templates”. Basically, in kitsun “Templates” are field sets, while “Layouts” are the HTML/CSS (notes in anki I believe) which your cards can use.

• A public API is also planned at a later date, on the settings page you can already find a public API key associated to your account (altho there is no public API for it yet :P)

• All decks can have their SRS Intervals customized (while creating or editting the deck), but the default is exactly the WK SRS Intervals :smiley:

• Audio files are also already supported in kitsun, you can record audio or upload media while creating cards

• That said, there is an anki import available (under settings) where you can upload your anki decks completely (except progress) and it will also automatically upload all audio contained in the anki deck package :slight_smile:

• Subdecks are also supported, but only one level deep. In kitsun you can create a folder, and then drag and drop decks into it.

• About TTS, thanks for the link! I think it’s a pretty nifty feature, and I’ll take a look to see if I can implement something like this in the future :smiley:

Thanks a lot for your feedback and sharing your ideas!

2 Likes

Kitsun does have an API though :thinking: check settings.

1 Like

There’s no official Public API yet, altho you could use the internal one for now…

1 Like

Oh ok… “You know nothing, John Pereira” :eyes:

4 Likes

I have my website https://chineseviewer.herokuapp.com which implements TTS [1] [2] [3] or you can just see Flask_gTTS.

1 Like

Interesting, so it uses Google TTS. I believe there are a few javascript libraries that might be useful for implementing it as well (as I’m using JS and not Python for Kitsun)

1 Like

Goddamn. You basically responded to every point except TTS with “yup, we got that, or coming soon”. That is awesome.

1 Like

The website will go offline soon for a rather major update

As usual, after updating and running tests I will activate the next wave of accounts :slight_smile:

1 Like

Website is back up

New features:

• CSV / TXT imports have been finished! They can be found on the same screen as the anki import. During import, the system will automatically create a deck, a generic template, two generic layouts and of course cards. You will probably want to customize the generic layouts afterwards (by default, it only contains the main fields which you choose during import).

• Sibling cards (AKA Pairs / Linked cards) are now a thing. What it comes down to is that all cards created at the same time (by selecting multiple layouts during creation) will be considered siblings. This means that during lessons and reviews, you must answer all the cards correctly in order to rank up a SRS Level (just like WK has Reading & Meaning cards as pairs). It also means that you dont have duplicate cards with different layouts anymore. This feature is only available for cards created after this update, or imports done after this update.

Bugfixes

• Some further timeline UI/UX improvements.

The implementation of the linked cards has been a much requested feature and was a very heavy change to the system. Many thanks to everyone who helped me think this through in the Kitsun discord!

Next up:

• Reordering decks

• Selective card linking

• Filtering sibling cards per session

• Card unlocks based on other cards

• Deck unlocks based on other decks

• Visual tour / wizard explaining how to use kitsun

• Community decks!!!

I think I will be able to focus on community decks rather soon (~ 2 weeks), as all the heaviest features have been implemented :smiley:

Edit:

Time for activations!

3 Likes

Can you update existing cards to convert them into sibling cards?

1 Like

Sorry but no, the linked cards are now considered one actual card in the database (with multiple layouts), whereas old ones are all split. I have no reference to which card is a sibling etc…

If it’s a big issue, I can do it manually for you in the database :slight_smile: