MaruMori.io & Kitsun.io - [UPDATE: Satori Reader Sync] - Grammar SRS, Grammar Lessons, Reading Exercises, Vocabulary, Kanji and more!

Yes, the best possible experience would be an application so you could study offline and they wouldn’t have to pay for the servers. It would be a win-win solution.

Wouldn’t that local version have to include a desktop version that works on all operating systems, an iOS app, an Android app and a server that stores all of our information because we would want to sync between devices? That is not an easy thing to do. If you want an app that is just local: use HouHou (in a VM if you are using Mac) but I’m guessing that is not what you want either.

We are lucky that Anki is providing as much as it is for free (just the iOS app costs money) but that does not mean anyone is obliged to do the same thing. The world doesn’t owe you anything.

“Just” build your own free tool exactly the way you want it to. Should be easy enough.

10 Likes

Then why would you want Torii to be a web app? (different thread) :flushed: web apps are not typically free.

3 Likes

While I appreciate the support, I think it might be better to move this discussion to another thread or to just stop discussing it as a whole. I think my first response was enough information regarding his comment, and if he wants something local, he can ask someone else or try to build it himself.

But let’s not get too off-topic in this thread :slight_smile:

14 Likes

You’re going to get flagged for language though. Perhaps edit or blur? :thinking:
Edit is perhaps best.

1 Like

Fixed it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Agreed. Let me remind everyone that we don’t tolerate offensive language, insults, or personal attacks on the forums.

12 Likes

I’m going to pull the website down for a update very soon. As always, changelog and activations coming afterwards!

3 Likes

Alright, website is back online, here are the changes

New features

• A Kitsun JP → Reading layout has been added.

• Previewing cards will now actually show the values of the input fields! Meaning you can instantly preview the card as it will be shown during lessons and reviews while editing it

• There is now a separate setting for setting unlimited lessons. (This does mean that if you previously put your new lessons per day setting to 0 for unlimited lessons, it should now be changed to that setting instead, as 0 now literally means 0 lessons per day).

• Layout page has gotten a layout (hehe) overhaul.

• The HTML/CSS boxes on the layout page can now be resized according to your will! No more small coding boxes :smiley:

Bugfixes

• Field order of the default templates has been switched to prevent having to switch between IME while inputting the values.

• After finishing a batch of lessons, sometimes the input will shake and prevent continuation of the lessons. This has been fixed.

• Clicking done at the end of reviews would sometimes show the last card without styling, also fixed.

• The timeline now correctly rounds the review times.

• Fixed some typos

BONUS

• Major work on the community (shared/public) decks feature has been done. All progress and other userdata is now split from the actual cards in preparation of the mentioned feature. We’ve also had some really nice brainstorm sessions on the discord channel and have mostly fleshed out the way community decks will work.

• You can reorder decks, HOWEVER this feature is not fully finished yet and will not actually save any positions yet! Expect that to be added with the next update. I would like to hear some feedback on whether you think the drag and drop works well though!

As always, please check the trello board to see if your bug or feature request is on there before reporting it :slight_smile:

I will now start the new round of activations

6 Likes

This is so cool and exciting why was I busy all afternoon I didn’t even know we were getting that today!

off to make some cards!

Woooooot, optimisation! :grin:

OMG it does!

I am tired and excitable sorry

2 Likes

Activations are done!

I’ve activated double the amount of accounts for this phase!

5 Likes

Just got activated, so I wanted to say thanks for that. Been waiting to try this out and it looks really good thus far. I especially like the styling and the daily “I’ve done this many lessons” bar.

One thing I’d like to request though (that I haven’t seen listed on the trello thingy) is the ability to type in answers rather than just say know/don’t know. IMO this is one of the biggest strengths of Wanikani over Anki as it forces you to recall the item correctly to proceed. I did use an imported Anki deck though, so I’m not sure if it’s already available in the site and I haven’t noticed it yet, though.

Typing is available for both Kitsun and Anki. It does however work much better in Kitsun. :+1:

It has to be set up as such, so if you are using an imported Anki deck it probably wasn’t. You could try to set up some cards with the Templates provided in Kitsun. Alternatively you could try setting up your current deck in Anki with a format that uses the input box and import it that way.

Here is my personal Template if you want to use it as a starting point.

[Template Perfect Form - maybe]

3 Likes

Is this your optimized version for Kitsun? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good point. I should have provided that. Thanks for the reminder. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[Template - Kitsun Optimized]

@snowbell The above is copied directly from the deck I’m currently using on Kitsun.

2 Likes

Lol, using a comlpetely unrelated post to try to make me look like I’m not acting in good faith. Torii is a WaniKani script, so ofc it should work ON WANIKANI. Is your service a WaniKani script???

Just so you are aware, Torii isn’t a WaniKani script. It’s a downloadable application that you can run locally on your personal device. :+1:

But hey, I could be wrong. @Rakantor - Is Torii a WaniKani script?

4 Likes

It uses you Wanikani Api… it is specifically meant to be used in cinjunction with Wani. I don’t think you can even use it without Wani.

Okay, just signed up… and hyped! Now this leaves some questions:

1. 20 per week, huh? Can you give a hint about how many people have registered so I can calculate the chances of getting in? 20 per week with a total of 1000 applications could … take some time
  2. Random feature question, not sure if it was posted/answered somewhere already: When you just input your own vocabulary, can you associate them to a group and maybe later share that group with someone? Just like an Anki deck, but without the … deck (file)
1 Like

Hi, thanks for your interest! To answer your questions:

1. There are more than 600 signups at the moment. Around 150 accounts have been activated total. Last night 40 accounts have been activated instead of the usual 20. The Sunday before that it was 30. It will probably stay at 40 per phase for a while now.

2. Yes, just like in anki, you have decks in kitsun. You can not create cards without making a deck first. As for sharing, this feature is called Community decks in Kitsun and is currently in development. There will be two ways of sharing: creating a private link to share with others manually, or just publishing your deck as a community deck for everyone to use if they want to. Community decks will be browsable in a storefront ala Google Play or the Apple store.

Once again, thank you for your interest and patience regarding the activations! I hope to activate everyone as soon as possible! :smile:

2 Likes