MaruMori.io & Kitsun.io - [UPDATE: ALL ABOARD THE N3 TRAIN] - Grammar SRS, Grammar Lessons, Reading Exercises, Vocabulary, Kanji and more!

Ah great! Hitting back returns you to a new review/lesson session (as I can not keep the review/lesson session).

Having the preview with filled in values is on the features backlog list, meaning it will be done right after the priority lists are done :slight_smile:

I will add it on the backlog then ^^

Thanks, having the screen resolution definitely helps!
Oh, the scroll bar shouldn’t be happening, that’s pretty weird :open_mouth: I will take a look at the styling.

Drag and drop only works with folders right now, but ordering of decks has been requested a lot as well, I think it should be somewhere in the lists, if not I will add it!

Great! I’ve been thinking about changing “Templates” to “Fields” to make it a little bit easier to recognize the difference.

Having the JP → Reading layout is on the “general todos” list in trello, so it’s definitely coming soon!

Thanks for your very detailed response, much appreciated! :smiley:

2 Likes

Correct! haha

Coming soon :tm: :wink:

1 Like

I can see why. I mainly try to keep it short so I dont have cluttered lists full of descriptions. Trello items can have actual descriptions in them (if you click them) so I might start putting some info in there :slight_smile:

https://pastebin.com/ works pretty well for that

2 Likes

I think that would be more clear, personally. Or ‘Field Sets’ or something :thinking: nah, maybe Fields is better
 don’t know anymore

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuu!

I was thinking Fields might be confusing because you’d think of actual card fields (for values) instead of presets

Okay, @windupbird, it’s just a modification of the Kitsun default, so not very exciting, but here it is if you want it:

Front - Pastebin.com - Front
Back - Pastebin.com - Back
Styling - Pastebin.com - Styling

I changed the ‘links’ mention to ‘extra’, so it should work with the Kitsun template now without any tweaking required. It doesn’t have a space for a sentence though.

I can’t remember whether I changed anything in the styling or not, so I included it just in case :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s why I was thinking ‘Field Sets’, but then that sounded kind of weird? But I couldn’t work out whether that was just because I’d said the word ‘field’ too many times in my head and now it just sounds weird anyway

Presets? hahah I also don’t really know
 maybe we should make a poll for it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

If “templates” was changed to “fields,” I’m wondering what the explanatory text in that section would say, because “fields” by itself also doesn’t really imply that you’re able to group them in any way or save them in groups. A template is more like a specific group/set of fields. So I think maybe @Radish8’s thought of “field sets” would be the most clear. I kind of like the pair of “field sets” and “styles” (or “styling” or “card styles” or “layout styling” or something like that) because that seems to clearly indicate that each section has a different purpose (like one is for determining content, and the other is for determining how that content gets displayed). As in
“I just need to style my field set a little differently.” Maybe that sounds weird, too, though xD Now I’ve written the word “style” too many times in a row, and everything sounds weird. Ahhhh

Maybe we should make a poll xD

2 Likes

Thank you so much!! I’m heading off to dinner, but I’ll definitely check these out when I get back :grin:

1 Like

No problem! I’m heading to bed :stuck_out_tongue: but if you have any issues I can help in the morning.

2 Likes

@Radish8 looking to get hired by Kitsun :3

2 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I meant issues with my layout :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: and I was gonna say ‘or Neicul would be better to ask than me anyway’ but I assumed they would also be asleep :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

I also went to bed yeah :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Just messing with my favourite Radish :purple_heart:

2 Likes

So it’s like Anki except you have to pay for it. Yeah, no thanks.

It is actually quite a bit different from Anki and has a different mindset/goal behind creating it.

And yes, considering it’s a web based service rather than local, you would have to pay for it if you want to make use of it.

7 Likes

So why not make it local?

Why should a creator make something local just so you can get it for free? There is nothing shameful in monetizing one’s effort, and there are very good reasons for online platforms.

Here are a few:

1. Community. It is unlikely we have the same sort of community on WK if it were offline like HouHou is.
  2. Shared content: containing shared content within a platform is more user-friendly.
  3. Device-agnosticity: running in a browser makes it much easier for the platform to run on a variety of devices. Also makes it possible to update once for everybody.
  4. Cloud storage: no jumping through hoops for data syncing.
  5. Development: ability to leverage platforms created for web development which make life easier for the developer.
  6. Ability to control piracy of content and software.
    There are more.

Bonus: Ability to annoy people who ask “why not make it local?” when they ask not out of curiosity, but rather so they can attempt to paint the creator as a money-grabber, instead of appreciating an increase in diversity of product offerings.

12 Likes

So “the best possible experience” is things being given to you for free? You have no idea the amount of time and effort it takes to make these apps. I’m currently in the beta and I can say the user experience is very good already though obviously could use some improvements.

In response to your earlier comment

Imo Anki is like 90% figuring out how to use the dang thing and 10% actual studying. Sure you could use pre-made decks but those are varying in usefulness, and after you reach a certain level in your Japanese ability you should be creating your own decks. Kitsun is aiming to make this as user friendly as possible, whether that’s worth the money or not is up to you. It’s actually very cheap imo for something that is immensely useful, you can get the whole thing forever for just a little over what it costs for a year on WaniKani

5 Likes