MaruMori.io & Kitsun.io - [UPDATE: ALL ABOARD THE N3 TRAIN] - Grammar SRS, Grammar Lessons, Reading Exercises, Vocabulary, Kanji and more!

Is the reason for the change SRS level names because you don’t want it to be like a WK clone?

Correct. It needs to be completely distinct from WK. I will also not include the WK layouts anymore starting next phase.

I have other obligations to take care of today, I will continue in the evening.

1 Like

Thank you ^^

Presumably users will be able to recreate those themselves if they chose to, correct ?

I have no control over what users create for themselves. But I do have control over public decks.

If I see a deck with all the content of WK being shared publicly I will take it down as I do not wish for users to use kitsun as a cheaper or different way to learn with WK content. That would be absolutely disrespectful to all the effort and love the WK team has put into creating it.

I want to make it clear that I do not condone this kind of behavior and will prevent it if I can.

4 Likes

Of course, I’m not suggesting anyone would rip WK content. But it is conceivable that users would create the same layout for alternative uses.

1 Like

These things are linked in Anki actually. What you are referring to as Templates are technically called Notes in Anki and multiple Cards can be created within that Note that share the same fields and Styling CSS. As an Anki user I would prefer this to tell you the truth.

So using your terms, think of the the Layout as being a subset of the Template itself. So if you pull up a Template the only Layouts available are the ones created for it.

WK - Sentence for example should only show Sentence Recognition & Sentence Comprehension as layout options.

1 Like

This parent-child setup you suggest is not bad either as it sets restrictions in place which make it easy to understand :thinking:

Ah okay. Well I hope they helped with figuring out some things at least. :smile:

2 Likes

Given the feedback, I will at least start linking layouts to templates then. I will have to take a look at the anki import as well to see if I can link it during the import somehow. I will probably have to manually link all your templates/layouts as it will probably be a breaking change :sweat:

I will change the layout creation flow:

You will first select a template, then it will give you a list of the fields in it → then you will be able to create the layout as usual, while having the field list as a cheatsheet.

Does that sound like a good idea?

And if someone wants to select a Layout the already exists, ideally, your drop-down would only show those that don’t have any fields that don’t exist in the template.

This is awesome! Always lovely to see new language learning platforms. I registered too, please invite me soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think I’m finally starting to understand this layout/template thing. I always had difficulty understanding how to create Anki templates but I think I might finally try to give it a go here soon. The only problem is that I haven’t messed with any html, css, or javascript in so long it’ll probably be an experience having to relearn them again. I’ll probably attempt it after your next update since you said there will be a breaking change in regards to these.

1 Like

Sorry, especially the first wave testers will have some problems with knowing what to do as I still have to create visual wizards / guides and make the process of creating stuff a lot simpler than it currently is.

Anyone who is in the beta right now is mostly (perhaps unknowingly) testing if nothing breaks so I know if I have to fix/change something or if I can carry on with developing other things.

I realize this might be a bit of a bummer for those without anki knowledge or programming skills but I promise it will get easier/better :wink:

Great to hear that you are starting to get the hang of it tho!

1 Like

I mean, in the future, we’ll be able to import our decks (progress included), correct? So, there’s no reason not to continue with Anki until then :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure if I can garantee that progress will be imported correctly. I saw some weird values in the deck kumirei provided as current SRS ranks (rank 64 for example), probably because anki can be endless while kitsun still has set ranks. But this was from my very quick look at it and I also think it depends on how your deck is set up.

That deck only had one “step” set at 10 minutes and uses the 200% modifier if you got a review correct (iirc) while the other decks I’ve personally used had multiple steps defined.

So I couldn’t wait and decided to look into creating my own layout already. I got stumped at the first step though. The first thing I wanted to do was add a background which it seems that with html you can only use local images. As far as I’m aware, you can’t upload images to layouts, only on a per card basis and even if I could figure how to set that up, that would be a real pain in the butt let alone wasteful of storage space.

I think being able to upload images for layouts would be awesome and could lead to some really interesting card layouts.

1 Like

Interesting, it seems to be working on my end. Here’s is a picture of a test run I did if that will help.

Though a place to drop reference images would be nice as well. I have been able to import some images through an Anki import, but I haven’t tried referencing them for backgrounds as of yet. A possible alternative may be loading them into Imgur and referencing them from there.

I didn’t know it was possible to use external images since everywhere I searched on the background-image property had said you needed to use a local path. I also tried it myself but with a different method, looks like I was just overcomplicating things.

This is pretty extreme nitpicking, but could we get a little more space between the deck title and the deck description on the deck overview tiles? The description currently sits right beneath the title and looks a little squashed in some cases, but there’s plenty of white space between the description and the progress bar to play with. I’m talking literally a few pixels extra :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like