MaruMori.io & Kitsun.io - [UPDATE: ALL ABOARD THE N3 TRAIN] - Grammar SRS, Grammar Lessons, Reading Exercises, Vocabulary, Kanji and more!

AD93DB75-C54D-4A6D-B2A9-AF5448F07FC0

3 Likes

Oh gosh! I think I may be in this bucket too, as it says my user name already exists! Now to remember my password. Yeeees.

Edit: Iā€™m in!

3 Likes

This gif perfectly displays my current feelings after reading @jprspereiraā€™s post :sob::grin:

Many thanks for the kind words jp!! :blush:

2 Likes

No update tonight, life got in the way :\

Expect the next one on Sunday :smile:

3 Likes

*revives thread
Good luck with life, I guess :+1:

Finally got to using Kitsun! My approach to things can be weird at times, same with my questions, so please donā€™t be bewildered. Also, with 840+ posts, there must be an answer somewhere, I just canā€™t find itā€¦

So: Tried to input (the beginning of) a larger list of vocabulary from a studentā€™s course. So I make a folder [course name], good. I want to go in there and make another folder [semester 1], wonā€™t let me. Go outside, make the folder, drag/drop into [course name], wonā€™t let me. make deck [lesson 1], works. Drag into [course name], works. I guess it just isnā€™t designed intended to stack folders? Only decks in there will surely work, but it might get crowded with several semesters and in each 10-20 lessons containing vocabs.

Also: Inside a deck, you have the name displayed at the top. Inside a folder, theres no visual indication of the folder name, apart from 5b64be3c575af75dc8837383 in the URL which unfortunately I canā€™t read :slight_smile: or is it displayed somewhere and I just canā€™t find it?

1 Like

Hi!

Thanks :slight_smile: Finally done with a very harsh deadline at work.

Currently folders are indeed only one level deep. So everything you described is kinda how itā€™s supposed to work (for now at least).

I agree that having a foldername on top would probably make it more clear :slight_smile:

Have you considered making one deck and tagging the cards with tags corresponding to your semesters? I think that might be more convenient than having all kinds of small decks that you have to click through to search certain items.

2 Likes

Just a headsup, I probably will not be doing a update today as I am in the middle of converting from the current database/backend technique to a new one. This has to be done because Iā€™m hitting very hard limitations on what is possible with the current setup. Sadly, this is a really, really large change (I have to completely rewrite the API/Backend and make sure no data gets lost when switching to the new database tech) so Iā€™m unable to make progress on the promised items for now (and probably next week).

However, it will absolutely improve development speed in the future and make certain features previously impossible, possible! :slight_smile:

Aside from that, I booked some days off at work starting on the 15th, so I will definitely make it up to you all during those vacation days :smile:

3 Likes

Also please have some rest! Iā€™m currently getting to use an awesome product for free, so Iā€™m not sure you have an awful to ā€˜make up forā€™ :wink:

I know, I know, you enjoy it, but rest is important too!

1 Like

Taking a vacation to go work :thinking:

6 Likes

Thatā€™s his life from now on. Side-effects of creating a beast :fox_face: :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Itā€™s been my life ever since starting this project while having a dayjob :wink:

I have a vacation planned in October/November where I will go to Japan for 3 weeks. Thatā€™s going to be the real vacation, and Iā€™ll try my best to leave my laptop alone while there :stuck_out_tongue: Unless the servers catch fire or something :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

You can SSH in from your phone, too
:stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

1 Like

I already abuse that while in bed :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Can you actually code using your phoneā€™s touch keyboard? Iā€™ve tried it once, and it wasnā€™t exactly pleasant (It was C code, though. I bet youā€™ll have less problems with languages that use less special characters, like python)
I donā€™t know whether Iā€™d try it with something like APL, though

Thatā€™s not something Iā€™d like to find out. Whenever I ssh I just issue terminal commands, I really donā€™t feel like coding in a terminal :stuck_out_tongue: But for just regular server issues itā€™s fine.

1 Like

uses vim to code, instead of an IDE

2 Likes

Why would you do that to yourself :stuck_out_tongue:
thatā€™s also what I thought about linux in general until a few years ago though, maybe it changes over time :wink:

2 Likes

Well, itā€™s all about habit-forming. My first unix book had a whole chapter dedicated to vi, so I learned how to use it. Also, vi starts instantly (unlike most IDEs), can be used in pretty much any environment (even some embedded systems, since busbyox has a variant of vi embedded in it) (again, unlike most IDEs), and does not have a meaningful memory footprint (unlike most IDEs). Also, there are so many vi clones around, that you donā€™t have to worry about losing support

An IDE can be nice, but allowing access a consistent environment across systems and architectures makes vi and its clones a force to be reckoned with

1 Like

Hereā€™s the extent of my vi (technically vim) knowledge: :wq.

5 Likes

Never really used VIM but ofcourse i ran into it. I think my knowledge is as much as yours. Also isnt i insert mode then i,j,k,l are movement keys or something like wasd - I probably got that mistaken.

Whilst i havent used VIM, i have used Sublime Text (which can use VIM commands) but i love this editor (multiple curses) and nice to look at. :stuck_out_tongue:

Loving kitsun. Its really great now, but when hotkeys become available, it be perfect.

BTW, did anyone here do Core 10k initially, and if so how long did it take you? How many cards did you do a day on average. Just wondering because it has 19134 cards (that is a lot of cards. I was doing 10 a day but then i then came to the realisation that would take me a loooong time.

1 Like