Keeping up when offline

Sometimes I’m traveling and don’t have time or an internet connection. I’d like to be able to print out the radicals, kanji and vocabulary for a certain WK level, or levels, so that I could do my own informal spaced repetition away from the computer. Is there any way to do this?

Not automatically, no, but could just go to the info page for the level, copy the whole text and paste it to Excel. You’ll get something like this:

From there, you could edit it into a format from which you could print and fold the items into flashcards.

Some of vocab meanings will be cut off because that’s how they’ll show up, but there’s a script which will force your browser to display the whole text, so it won’t end up looking like this:

Or you could edit the excel file in a way in which you could import the items into Anki and review offline.

Either way, it won’t include the mnemonics and example sentences unless you do it item by item.

So the biggest problem you have is that spaced repetition is the linchpin of WaniKani. It’s a relatively advanced way of scheduling things so that you see them “just before you forget” them, which helps you remember them better. If you wanted to use an SRS completely offline, you’d have to use timers and calculate when the ideal time to show the next item is.

This is really hard to do. Instead, you might consider using Anki or SuperMemo, and just exporting the kanji from a given level (see @rodrigowaick’s post for an idea of how) and putting them into that particular SRS. Both Anki & SuperMemo (and probably a lot of other SRS systems – I haven’t checked) are free and operate offline. That could get you pretty far.

Ideally, though, you might just want to schedule time to go to a cafe or something similar. You can’t sync your progress back to WaniKani in any meaningful way, which won’t make it super fun when you get back online and have to convince WaniKani that know everything.

You can simply save the info page for a level with “Save page as …” in your browser, or actually print it with Ctrl-P (layout may turn ugly).

If you are more interested in to info itself you can use the WK API to get a level, like:

https://www.wanikani.com/api/user/{your_API_v1_key}/kanji/25

Instead of kanji you can also put vocabulary or radicals. You probably need to edit the output and remove unnecessary fields.

Apparently SRS may have actually arisen from a physical file system. If you read up on what a “tickler file” is, or the related “43 folders” organizational system you will find that a simple paper/file based setup can be used to replicate SRS.

Doing it with subdivisions by the hour may be a bit much, but there’s no reason you couldn’t adapt it for use by day.

Thank you all for your responses. I guess I should have made clear that I am talking about times when I not only don’t have access to the internet, but I also don’t have a computer (or a smart phone, an internet cafe, etc.). SRS would be great but for these occasions I would be content with just having a list of the radicals, kanji and vocabulary so that I could review them and not forget too much during the longer intervals I’m away from WK. I just was wondering if there’s a simple way of printing things out.

I would recommend not studying the WK material during this time, but seeking out other resources to study that fit better with off-line opportunities. Maybe readers?

1 Like

Anybody else who thought… that this continues on as Death by SnuSnu ? >.<
(from Futurama for the one’s who don’t know it xD)

1 Like

I would also be interested in the same thing, i.e. if there is a simple way to print lists of radicals/kanji/words level-by-level.

I guess that if somebody made a deck for Anki, etc., maybe it’s possible to export things in text format, for easy printing.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.