Kawabata Reading group - currently reading 日向 starting p27

Edit:

Welcome to the 掌の小説 reading group!!

We are reading and discussing these short stories at a pace of one every two weeks.

We are currently on story : #3 (6/30/18 - 7/13/18) link → Kawabata Reading group - currently reading 日向 starting p27 - #89 by ooooo
#2 (6/15/18 - 6/29/18)
#1 (6/1/18 - 6/14/18)

Here is a link to the book for sale on amazon : https://www.amazon.co.jp/掌の小説-新潮文庫-川端-康成/dp/4101001057/

_
_
_
_
_

• I want to be a part of this
  • I want to be a part of something like this but with a different text
  • I want to be a part of something like this but with a different format (and possibly text)
  • This sounds terrible

0 voters

4 Likes

I’d be interested, I’m always in favor of anything that can help me make a habit of reading more :durtle_the_explorer:

Also, as a suggestion, maybe you can include a poll in your original post to gauge everyone’s interest? I feel like that would help get you more comprehensive feedback ^^

2 Likes

something like that?

1 Like

パーフェクト!:durtle_noice:

Yeah I’ll join in :ok_hand:

This sounds like a great idea to me, thank you so much! I would love to give Kawabata a try in original version. Even if it will be difficult for me, I would be much more interested and motivated than with manga.

1 Like

If you want to start reading Kawabata I’d recommend going with the miniature that’s in Exploring Japanese Literature for Snow Country. It was the first of his books I read in Japanese in school. It has a follow along dictionary and parallel English translations. :+1:

6 Likes

I second this book! I love this kind of format, so I went ahead and bought it regardless of if we choose it or not =)

1 Like

Stop making everything into a poll thread :tired_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

I’m in! Short stories sound great for motivation.

Inspired by @Abstormal, I ordered the book as well (掌の小説). It will arrive next week. If we choose another one, no problem at all for me either.

1 Like

NEVER :durtle_love::durtle_love:

7 Likes

I ordered the one linked by Kristen :wink:
I know Discord has a bad idea that when you reply to someone without comments between it doesn’t need to show the reply info in the top right… but sometimes it would actually be quite handy if they did…

I found several hits for 掌の小説, so not buying without an Amazon link, to be sure I get the right one.

1 Like

:laughing:Both books/ideas sound great to me and I‘m an avid reader and book buyer anyhow. Whatever we decide to read is fine wirth me!

As @Abstormal mentioned, Make sure you get the right one. There is a book of commentaries (in Japanese) on amazon us that is hard to distinguish.

So, just to clarify: which one are we going to read? I’m already getting excited :tada::blush::books:

If we are going for the first one, go find the version you want us to read together, preferably on amazon, and put a direct link to it (like Kristen did)

This is the edition that I have:

1 Like

Thanks! Ordered it =)
Won’t be here until June though (anywhere in June basically, lol!)

Is this book beginner friendly?