Kanjiroids: Space Invaders for Vocab, Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana

No matter who or where or when~ my Star Wars senses will tingle if a reference is made.

And I will come drop a like. :ok_hand:

Also: got distracted, but: Nice, @Darcinon ! :smiley: I love dark themes. :purple_heart: wallows in the blackness

2 Likes

Whoops, now that’s the solution! :laughing:

2 Likes

2019-02-09 Ordered by WaniKani Level (new modes)

An update! :smile:

• WaniKani Kanji Readings - Ordered by Level mode added
  • WaniKani Vocab Readings - Ordered by Level mode added

Now that we have these modes, I think skipping levels will be really nice as the next feature.

I’ll admit, I only made it to level 12 in ordered kanji mode! I’m really curious as to whether it’s even possible to reach the levels after level 60 :joy:
(Once you pass your current level, it will switch to infinite mode with a mix of items from all levels. Or at least, it should!)

Testers

@Corbayne
@Omun
@AnimeCanuck

3 Likes

This is beautiful, fun, and sooo useful!

Suggestion: I noticed I can read individual katakana chars well, but when I actually read real text I have trouble digesting an entire word written in katakana… mostly because I end up reading it char by char when I think, at least with hiragana, I’m already at a level where it feels more natural and I can probably digest multiple chars at once.

Would it be useful to have a new mode where you have to type words in hirgana/katanaka? You’ll have to type entire words. And that way you might also learn new words (which are hiragana-only or katakana-only).

1 Like

Thank you! I think hiragana and katakana vocab modes would definitely be useful! If you or anyone else have recommendations for vocab lists that are free and legal for me to use, please feel welcome to mention them.

I second especially the katakana word practicing. I’ve also been thinking recently about how slow I am with katakana words and was thinking that, like with the kanji we learn, that we could probably learn to quickly read katakana words based off of only the visual of the word. (Kind of like what we do with every word in every other language.)

Miscellaneous thoughts and high scores below.

High Scores

Hiragana
Katakana
I’m assuming based off of my scores that there’s probably a lot more going into one’s performance of Kanjiroids than just one’s reading ability. As someone who loves speed typing, is slightly autistic, and has a history in first person shooters, I’m going say that there’s probably a lot of subconscious skills working in the background.

3 Likes

I can think of at least one Katakana-only word: コーヒー. It’s my favourite drink, after all. ^_~

I’ll be checking this out soon, Darcinon. ^^

1 Like

That’s one of the few foreign katakana words that does have kanji - 珈琲 ! :wink::rofl:

2 Likes

… Whaaa???

1 Like

Just found this and I already know what I’ll be doing during all my down time! :ok_hand: You have given me a reason to actually relearn katakana!

Suggestion: There needs to be a reset or quit button during game play. I just randomly selected a mode to try it out but then wanted to switch modes. In order to do that I had to wait until I died x6. :skull::skull::skull::skull::skull::skull:
I wasn’t sure if it was considered part of the ‘Japanese menus/interface’ or ‘pause button’ or whatever you have planned but I thought I’d mention it anyways.

:space_invader: Keep on keepin’ on! :space_invader:

1 Like

That’s definitely something I want to add (along with a pause button, you can click anywhere outside the textbox to pause but that’s not obvious enough.)

For now, one way to restart fast is to refresh the web page :grin:

1 Like

mad0228.gif I amaze myself sometimes with how little I use my brain. Thanks! :blush:

1 Like

楽しいです! Found it wouldn’t run in Edge (but that’s fine)…we have lots of browsers to choose from.

1 Like

Oh! At first when you said WK content up to level 12, I just thought the game would automatically use the content one level at a time… but to see that it needs my API key… ^_^; I shouldn’t have been surprised. XD

That brings to mind this question: does the game save/store my API key anywhere for future plays? Or like a cookie in my browser? Or will I need to add the API key every time (and for each separate mode separately)?

EDIT: First run through of WK Vocab (Ordered). I didn’t do very well. Some really easy vocab I should have known I seem to have forgotten. I only made it to level 3. When I got 戸 for instance, I tried ドア instead. XD

I really like that the colours are there to help me know if I’m on the right or wrong track, updating immediately, so I can change readings of the kanji if I’m a little off.

EDIT 2: Second run results.

1 Like

I store the API key in the browser’s local storage so you don’t have to enter it again. The prompt still pops up, but it is automatically filled with the last key you entered. Not too elegant, but it gets the job done!

1 Like

You still have to hit “okay” though (it’s one extra step). And does it work cross-modes? (I didn’t try.)

1 Like

Right, that extra step is there so that you can change your API key if you want. It’s something that almost nobody is going to do, so I plan to move that to a settings menu at some point where you can set it and forget it. It is shared across modes already.

1 Like

Oh, cool.

Does it save between browser closes/tab closes?

Hmm… something else to test…

1 Like

It does, as long as you don’t clear your browser’s cache!

Oooh, neat game!

I decided to try playing for the entire duration of a song (I chose Atsuku Nare from ZLS) to see if I could last the whole way through. I succeeded, got to level 6 after the song ended with six lives. Unfortunately, my fingers were killing me, so I wound up stopping there. I might need to readjust my keyboard placement…

(edit: to clarify, I did the hiragana set.)

1 Like