Kanji Studying

Although I started my Japanese learning journey recently I’ve grown accustomed to WaniKani and Anki. I find that with Anki I tend to switch learning formats quite often. Currently in Anki I write the following on my notebook to learn.{Kanji | Onyomi | Meaning} on the other hand before that I would do the following { Kanji | Onyomi | Kunyomi | Meaning } followed by three vocabulary that included that kanji like this {Kanji Vocab | Kunyomi | Kanji 1 Meaning + Kanji 2 Meaning = Meaning of Vocab} (examples are attached below). I have ADHD and I need to adapt my learning in a way that best fits my needs so thats why ive been experimenting I found through constant repetition to be the best bet and thats why I think the simpler {Kanji | Onyomi | Meaning} format is the better option for me. With that I am looking for any recommendations that you guys have. Should I include the konyomi too even if its too crowded or should I do vocab words only. I am also thinking about instead translating sentences with kanjis and learnt hat way too.

2 Likes

Welcome!

Lots to consider here. Experimenting with format is great to do at the start to figure out what is working well for you.

To be honest, I don’t find cards for individual kanji very helpful - it’s hard to put a 1:1 English meaning for most kanji, so even though you can come up with a key word, it’s not always going to fit well with the vocabulary. Personally, I suggest that you use Anki to focus on common vocabulary to build up general comprehension, and let WaniKani worry about progressively teaching more complex kanji.

If you don’t have much background in Japanese yet, you might want to start with a ‘core’ deck to familiarize yourself with the most common words - for example - this one. Knowing some of those most common vocabulary words is helpful, even if you are using furigana to remember the readings at this point (up to you - I sometimes do for kanji I haven’t reached in WK yet - as I get further in, it’s easier for me to just recognize the new kanji in its vocabulary word).

Sentences are often recommended in anki decks to make sure you have context. The trick with that is making sure that they’re grammatical sentences. For a beginner, a good bet would be sentences from a Japanese textbook (not sure if you have one/want one) because you can expect those to be correct Japanese and at a grammar level that you can understand.

I hope this is a little bit helpful - I’m sure you’ll get some more input from others around the forum. I’m happy to discuss further if you’d like :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.