Kanji reading vs vocab reading

As for the On and Kun readings, as far as i know you’re not really skipping anything by not memorising it as “this reading is Onyomi which is used for when i see this kanji in this situation”. It definitely wouldn’t hurt to know which reading is roughly which, but you will also learn through the vocabulary and just exposure over time generally which reading will usually apply when.
I was originally confused when I first learnt the readings for 上, and I couldn’t tell you for the life of me which was the Onyomi and which was the kunyomi, but I know that 地上 (above ground) is not 地上(ちうえ) but is probably 地上(ちじょう). It’s also the difference between (やま) and ふじ (さん).
Ultimately, it’d depend on why you want to learn to read kanji, but my understanding is that it’s not critical in the sense that i’d call it skipping steps, but it is good to have some basic knowledge of the two. Tofugu has a really good article on it if you’re interested.

Also since it’s the first time you’ve posted:

\textcolor{MediumPurple}{\huge \textsf{Hi}} {\huge \textsf{@magsl}} \textcolor{MediumPurple}{\huge \textsf{!}}

tenor

It’s great to have you here!

If you haven’t already check out the Forum Guidelines and the Wanikani User Guide .
There’s also tonnes of things on the forums to help you on your way such as The guide, The Ultimate resource list, and API and Third Party Apps.

If you have any questions, check out this thread; but if this doesn’t answer your questions, feel free to create a thread like you’re done here, or email The Wanikani staff

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing you around!

4 Likes