Kanji learning problems after learning all kanjis

Eh, not trying to scare you, but for a business environment, anything below N2 is basically equivalent to nothing, because you just won’t be able to follow along.

So obviously these are not typical Japanese business environments, but that was all I was trying to ascertain.

1 Like

He he no offence.

I got 198 on the J-cat, which is N3 level (I believe?), and sadly leebo is right. N3 is not what your goal should be. You will not be able to do the things I think you believe possible just by reaching that level. I assure you that any high paying job that you just need n3 for wont have you using japanese at all. At that level, your knowledge of japanese will be irrelevant in a business setting. Holding comfortable conversation in an everyday work environment simply cant be done with just N3.

I dont doubt that there are some jobs that ask of that level…maybe just to show that you are serious about learning japanese…but it isnt at all the required level to be able to speak japanese in a business setting.

WK will help you move towards your goal, but speaking and listening are something you are going to have to train on your own.

1 Like

@Vanilla
I’m serious about learning Japanese, I have joined Japanese class,I am doing self study,I am trying to find a partner to practice speaking Japanese,but finding a partner is tough.

Due to my family economic condition I need to find a job in Japan in 6-7 months,I want to find it at any cost,I am not telling n3 is all required,but I am trying to be atleast in that level in 6-7 monthsso that I can boost my chances of finding a job.

If I got a chance, opportunity and environment I can improve my Japanese further.im trying to find a solution for my problem in seven months.
If you got any other ideas kindly suggest.

Ok, I just dont want you to be disappointed when you DO reach N3 level. To find a partner I would recommend using hello talk. I made one post on there about うまい棒 and had a total of about 10 japanese people message me just off of that. Furthermore 90% of them are girls if you are into that. On there you can call with them and ask them questions about japanese.

Also, I’m not sure about what level you are right now so its kinda hard to suggest stuff. If you only have 6 months, learning the most common words is important, but I think grammar will be more so. Comprehension ability from learning new vocab experiences pretty rough diminishing returns, so I would focus more on learning more grammar to be able to express as many ideas as possible with the vocab you do have.

N3 from 0 is certainly possible in 6-7 months, but it may require more time dedication than you are comfortable with. This guy got mid N4 in 6 months, and he uploaded a vlog to show you the level of thought he is able to express at that level. Take a look so you know what to expect.

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever had a male message me yet. they’ve all been good looking women. I’m happy about that but I kinda want to talk to some guys, feel like my comprehension is becoming a little (lot) one sided

3 Likes

@musera I can help you in that part :grin:

@manoj937 You just want to steal my harem!

2 Likes

That’s like opposite of me. The majority of my messages are from guys… Probably 75% of them at least

I guess it’s normal to just want to talk to people you are attracted to. Not as in dirty talk, just general conversation.

1 Like

Probably so!

However quite a few people (at least in Japan) use it as a dating app apparently. At least one of my friends met his girlfriend on it. So that could be why as well…

Back on topic though: It works really well for language exchange but it may take some time and effort to build relationships. A lot of people stop responding after just a few messages.

There are some foreign tech companies in Japan who have lower entrance requirements for Japanese, and some Japanese companies have looked at it (Rakuten did a couple of years ago).

I think your issue will be finding the role, but that’s a completely separate conversation.

Yeah I’ve had a few people try make it into dating. Don’t mind too much but not what I am there for … and they are almost always 10-14 years younger than me (im 32).

I can’t recommend it enough. Just like in daily life, you don’t get along with everyone, so ignore those whom stop responding and just enjoy the company of those who do.

1 Like

Please don’t become discouraged. Just press on persistently.
My impression is that WaniKani includes all three phases of learning cited in the article.

@NickPlez
Just now I have spoken to my Japanese instructor here,I explained my goals and objectives.
I.e to improve my communication (i.e speak and listen and little bit of reading) to a level where I can clear interview here and get a job in Japan and then improve further.
Here is what he suggested
Study a few essential kanji around 700 and skip the rest for now.
Focus on grammar speaking and listening to get a job and improve from that part.

1 Like

What part of WK includes reading the kanji in context? Even if you counted the context sentences, they don’t always use the kanji in they way the vocab teaches us, let alone it being a single sentence.

That part you have to do alone, and the guide even tells you specifically to read on your own outside of the site.

Honestly, using Wanikani has immensely impacted how well I understand Japanese as a whole, and no longer am I wasting hour upon hour force-feeding myself vocabulary that sounds completely arbitrary to me. When you learn kanji, you build a foundation on which you can easily access a world of vocabulary.

And by the way, when I say, “no more wasted time,” I’m talking about the fact that I spent five years trying desperately to learn Japanese on my own. But as soon as I began seriously studying kanji through Wanikani (the only way I’ve truly been able to memorize kanji, despite years of attempt), my Japanese-speaking ability went through the roof, and I had already lived in Japan for a year on my own.

Seriously. If you want to speak Japanese at all, learn the kanji.

4 Likes

Actually I want to speak Japanese to someone ,is it allowed to post such thread here ? Because language exchange sites were not clicking to me,I just thought of giving it a try

I don’t think there’s any rule against it, but we’re all learners ourselves (albeit some more advanced than others). If you can find a native speaker to talk with, you would get much more benefit from that.

Exactly. The other day I received a message from a guy with the same age as me and I waas so freaking happy. “Finally I’m going to have a dude friend”. Nope. He just wanted some stuff translated to Portuguese :neutral_face:

1 Like