Kanji learning problems after learning all kanjis

Hi guys,
I am just started to study the kanji ,my aim is to have skills like reading listening speaking upto jlpt n3 level so that I can search for jobs in Japan from my country.i have read articles stressing the importance of learning kanji early as a beginner.

But after reading this one article it starts to shake my foundation. I.e learning kanji as a beginner

They stressed about the problems that we will face learning all the kanjis in isolation,like the kanji meaning will differ in context ,learning Compound kanji and words etcā€¦

My aim is not to study Japanese level,I am trying to study Japanese at a level where I should be comfortable in talking to people.

My question is
If the above article holds true then whatā€™s the purpose of putting all our efforts and studying kanji meaning individually ,we call learn things via context and compound kanji and words right?

I am little worried and confused as a beginner can someone clarify me

1 Like

Wanikani will allow you to study all 3 phases of kanji, (atleast according to your article). If you want to study Japanese at a level where you could be talking to people, I reccommend also taking some kind of online or formal class where you can have practice in talking to others as well.

For example, Iā€™m using WK, Bunpro, Tae Kim, and Iā€™m taking an online Japanese class with a real Japanese proffessor, using webcams/mics to have conversations.

Edit: you could probably ā€œlearn things via contextā€, etc, but it would be much more difficult. You will have a much better, easier time understanding the language if you study the kanji formally. (Iā€™m no expert, though.)

3 Likes

You donā€™t really need a formal teacher for this. While it can certainly help in many situations, it isnā€™t necessary. Youā€™ll often hear people here talking about HelloTalk (myself included), basically an app that matches you up to people looking to do a language exchange and gives the tools to make it easy.

You can absolutely learn in that way. Not only can you, that is where most of your learning will happen. That doesnā€™t invalidate WK, quite the opposite. What you are learning here is like a key to a puzzle, it isnā€™t the solution itself but without it you will struggle to solve anything. Iā€™m going to leave that analogy there because itā€™ll quick fall apart if I try push it.

2 Likes

In WaniKani, Kanji are not learnt in isolation, but in the context of vocabularies. WaniKani also teaches compound words.

However, for the vocabularies that WaniKani teach, I feel like I only learn Readings well, because Meanings do depend on context, not only of sentences, but also of paragraphs.

In short, WaniKani is enough for Kanji, but not for vocabulary meanings.

1 Like

The kind of job you can get with N3-level speaking ability does not strike me as the kind of job that you could get a long-term visa for.

4 Likes

@anon85167355
So thanks for clarifying that wanikani covers the 3 style of kanji learning I mentioned,so far I thought wanikani will teach kanji like kanji koohi site,but itā€™s great to know that they have cover all the forms of kanji.

And I have registered myself in some language exchange sites and trying to find Japanese people to talk.im wondering when you were in my stage how did you find people to talk ?
Thanks for pointing out on context part,like I mentioned all I am trying to get is a basic conversation level skills,Iā€™m not going into fluency or literature.so will basic kanji learning will help me in achieving my goal ?

@musera
So the kanji learning in isolation will also help us in the other 2 scenarios they have mentioned?

Also i have contacted tons of people in hello talk,Iā€™m from a non English speaking country itā€™s hard to find a partner in that site for me.

If I understood you right, you wanted to apply for a job in Japan. Thatā€™s also my goal, and I guess it depends on the kind of job you want. I want a job as a mechanical engineer, and Iā€™m going to know enough to read, and write, as well as talk in Japanese.

And basic kanji can always help, but Iā€™m not sure if its enough. I talk to people in my online class that Iā€™m taking through BYU independent study, since our professor has set up a little chat room thingy where we can practice speaking to each other.

@anon85167355
My friends from my country went to Japan with basic Japanese i.e n4-n3 level,but they are experienced though,I am also having experience but my main worry is learning Japanese

@polv
Thanks for your short and sweet answer regarding kanji learning,surely Iā€™ll take a premium account in wanikani.

@Leebo
People from my country already went for long time job with n4 level certificates itself,they are all experienced so do I,my friend suggested to learn Japanese and speak it to a level where I can feel comfortable talking to others and after that once we land there we got more opportunities to improve :hugs: based on that path Iā€™m trying

What kind of jobs are you talking about? N3 level Japanese is insufficient for working in a technical or business environment that primarily operates in Japanese. So if the business is being done in some other language, it doesnā€™t even seem like Japanese is necessary at all.

1 Like

My friend is working as a java developer,Iā€™m also trying to find a job in software development.
If you have any idea about Japanese requirements for software development it would be greatly helpful to me

Each stage builds on the last. Also as mentioned, WK isnā€™t just in isolation. So really WK will bring you into the third stage mentioned. Though it will take time to get you there, Iā€™m a little over a third of the way through the system and I am only just at the stage where I am reading native material ā€¦ sort of. Itā€™s a struggle and it is mentally exhausting but the work Iā€™ve done in WK has really helped me.

On special right now, so a good time to get it. Doesnā€™t often go on special so donā€™t miss your chance

1 Like

I find it hard to believe anyone could discuss programming at an N4 level, as you said you knew people who went with that, or the N3 level youā€™re aiming for. So thatā€™s why I was asking, were these people were actually using that level of Japanese for their work? A meeting that was conducted in Japanese would be impossible to follow for someone at N4 and a big stretch for N3.

N2 is the most common level requested for jobs that involve Japanese.

@musera
So are you in Japan now? If we complete kanji learning in wk,can it help attaining my goal ?

@Leebo
When entering Japan they were at that level,after you enter you are having opportunities and willingness to learn it more,they managed,they survived,now I donā€™t see them having problems.

But first you have to get hired to get a visa to be able to have a semi-long-term plan. And what Japanese company is going to hire you without an N2 or N1, unless they donā€™t require Japanese at all?

Eh, Iā€™ll stop pressing it.

No Iā€™m not, hence why Iā€™ve only commented on learning the language and nothing about getting a job at N3 (which is somewhere near my level and I donā€™t feel like I have any ability to maintain any type of job in the language).

@Leebo
Iā€™m from India,there are many companies in Japan who will take such candidates,but the salary level will be in medium range,my friend told that high paying jobs only require that kind of Japanese level.
Even I visited many consultancies here myself,I can confirm that they are sending people if they finish n3 level.