Kanji-in-the-wild learning pattern (outside WaniKani)

Rather than creating more levels (as I did in another topic), I’ll explain how I do it here.

• Extract Kanji via Dropbox - listKanji.htm - Simplify your life
  • Extract common vocab including ones with exceptional reading: Common words finder, containing desired Kanji
  • Remember all vocab, always reading first; via SRS system (Anki).
    • If such vocab does not exist in JJ dictionary, I delete/suspend the vocab. If I already know the vocab, I suspend the reading card.
  • Associate exactly 1 reading with the Kanji. Chose Kun or On only at first. Don’t try to overwork yourself.
  • Remember Kanji meaning in English. Now, try to recall more than one readings per Kanji (that is, both Kun and On.)
  • I may change reading_emphasis from Kun to On at this point as well. Emphasis may change.
  • Sometimes I have to add more vocab, as existed in 大辞泉, if it is required to remember Kanji meaning. (I am not greedy about remembering all Kanji readings, though.)
  • After I remember the Kanji meaning well, I attempt to hand-write.

So, in the end, what I tried to do is

• Remember the Kanji meaning. Kanji meaning (not in English) I mostly use http://www.kanjipedia.jp, as of now.
  • Associate at least 1 reading with Kanji; could be either Kun or On. There can never be none. Don’t have to remember all.
  • When you see the Kanji, you have to recall some vocab.
  • Try to write by hand.

This is quite troublesome when trying to remember Jinmeiyo Kanji (Kanji in names), though; for example, 澤, which there is no associated word. Well, it’s an archaic form of 沢.

////

In addition, it is possible to replicate WaniKani experience to some extent.

For Anki, Anki+WaniKani 2.0 and [Anki] Tutorials

Amongst the most important settings, I would say 4-hour interval and 8-hour interval.

Outside Anki, the best replicate is probably Houhou 1.2 - Dictionary and SRS application for Windows. There, you can burn vocab with 4-month interval.

In the future, there might be Kaniwani 2.0! (LEAKED VIDEO) . See also, Kaniwani Major Update: 1.3.4!

14 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.