Kanji beyond WaniKani (esp. 常用 and 人名用) plus more [Spreadsheet, Anki and Memrise]

Ooh, nice!
I just happened to see a notification for @polv’s post, and came over to this thread. I’m looking to finish WaniKani by the end of this year, and I’ve been thinking about what to do next. Perfect!

This is just another reminder of how gr8 the WK community is…

1 Like

What I find most worthwhile in study Kanji beyond WaniKani would be Joyo Kanji (173) and extraction from WaniKani context sentences (211). So the total good to be studied would be 173+211 = 384 = about 10 levels.

WaniKani context sentence creator like to create sentence with many Kanji, much more than Core 10k context sentences.

I find non-Joyo N1 kanji to be less useful, though. So, in my levels, I went from level 61->70, 78->80, 76, 71->75, 77, sequentially.

The such useful WaniKani context sentence Kanji list by frequency would be (non-Joyo, non-WaniKani)

In the wild, I still see Kanji more than these, but these should cover most that the author wouldn’t add Furigana.

Yeah, WaniKani context sentence creator didn’t include Furigana either.

About how to study Kanji outside WaniKani, I suggested my learning pattern here. In short, always learn associated vocab well before learning individual Kanji. (This is a little in contrast with WaniKani itself that teaches Kanji before vocab.)

2 Likes

Just to say, the vocab list here isn’t final. I am trying to create a minimal vocab list, including as few names as possible (as of now, 尭舜 and 林彪), and try to make it correspond to Kanji meaning (in Japanese) as much as possible.

Wait 1-2 months please. When I finish studying with it, the vocab list will be complete.

The spreadsheet isn’t updated yet, but the most updated is the Anki deck, here Dropbox - BeyondWK-Vocab-Breakdown.apkg - Simplify your life

If you want not to wait, I suggest a learning pattern in the post above ⇑.

2 Likes

This is amazing…Once I finish Wanikani in about 5 years I will definitely do this. Thank you.

3 Likes

Final, at least I probably won’t pursue studying any more Kanji, for now. I even added vocab list for Jinmeiyo Kanji; level 71-77, to understand the meaning in Kanjipedia.jp

Also, with pitch accent information.

And the new Google Spreadsheet.

The Anki *.apkg vocab list
Dropbox - BeyondWK-Vocab-Breakdown.apkg - Simplify your life

3 Likes

Memrise. Now up to level 80. Kanji only. That is, finished ver 1.0

Loaded with personally chosen Emphasis, and based on www.kanjipedia.org and associated vocabularies, rather than Jisho.org

Creating vocab course seems to be trouble to me. However, it is a lesson review to me to create a Kanji course.

6 Likes

This is nuts! Greatly appreciate you sharing your efforts! お疲れ様でした!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.