Kanji are getting harder

Absolutely, once you’ve memorized a lot of kanji it becomes easier to memorize them. Same goes for vocab.

2 Likes

yhea this is a great idea. i think that from now on i will start writing kanji on paper. i think that drawing their shape and learning their stroke order might help.

well i usually go with radicals till they stick in my head and i don’t need them anymore. i do some exception for the more peculiars kanji like 美 or 花 or for the one that i already know like 買.

1 Like

oh i’m glad i’m not the only one then. thanks for your encouragement. tbh my accuracy hasn’t dropped that much but if fear it might happen.

oh and this is really helpful, thanks.

1 Like

what it does ?

Always a little intimidating to see warnings from people just a couple levels ahead of me… :sweat_smile:

Fwiw if you’re having trouble getting things to stick I think that the self-study script ([Userscript] Self-Study Quiz) is pretty great for getting extra practice. Also for me at least reading things (e.g. on NHK Easy) and seeing the kanji used in actual writing helps memorization a lot

3 Likes

May I ask how you cope with the review-wall that builds up so quickly? If I don`t open WK for a day, I find myself with 200 reviews which may take over an hour to clear and frankly, I lose concentration and motivation. Sorry if this is the wrong thread for the question, but I identify with your situation because I too work a lot for uni and so don’t find the time every day. So yeah, what do you do about the massive review-wall?

3 Likes

Well I started 5 days after you and I just reached level 8…

1 Like

yes, there is no better way to learn kanji than actually read them in a real life scenario. i plan to start native material reading very soon, maybe after level ten and after i finish japanese from zero 3 (and Genki 1)

oh don’t tell me. is 8 in the morning to me and wanikani greeted me with a pile of 150 reviews. there is no trick other than consistency. as i said above i have no work nor i’m studying, as such i have tons of free time to do reviews. now while this gave me a tons of problem in my real life i guess it helps with learning a language :sweat_smile:

btw la pasta é buonissima

1 Like

don’t worry about it. you aren’ t going slow at all. i just have tons of free time. when i said that i am not proceeding particularly fast i was comparing to my self, my free time and my overall feeling, not other people. i have no idea how fast other people are proceeding. sorry if i sounded arrogant by saying that or if you felt discouraged by it

1 Like

I dont quite get it xD Do the symbols imitate Kanji? “Top of the mountain”? :thinking: :innocent:

1 Like

Actually when I started I had no idea about how the SRS system worked. I would do reviews when I wanted to and liked to do lessons more than reviews. When I read about how it works (SRS system) the time I spent on a level decreased. First it was 1 month and some 30 days :fearful:, then it reduced to 20 days after I started doing my reviews when they were available, then 12 days when I actually implemented what @jprspereira had said here.

Oh no, I didn’t mean it like that. I just felt like saying it. I am sorry if I sounded rude. :blush:

2 Likes

Hi :slight_smile: I think you a pretty fast… I started in November I think and I am Lvl 9. So you are doing well.
That said: Same here! I was doing so well and then Lvl 8 hit me. I was like “oof”. But now Lvl 9 feels better already. So I think we just have to adapt and keep going.

Have a nice day! :relaxed:

2 Likes

Can I add you in my leaderboard?

1 Like

tbh level 8 hit me pretty hard too, and is weird because it has a low amount of kanji

2 Likes

not at all, we ar cool then :heart: :rofl:

1 Like

I just googled what a leaderboard on WK is :see_no_evil: Sure you can :relaxed:

2 Likes

i remember how perplexed i was, because they just look so out of place :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I am amazed too. Also this communitiy is so wholesome. Esp in times like these, it rly warms my heart :innocent: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes