Kanji and radicals invisible on reviews

Hi, since yesterday Kanji and radicals have been invisible during reviews. Oddly, vocab are fine and work normally. I disabled all user scripts and even reinstalled chrome but the problem persists.
Highlighting and dragging reveals it.

If anyone has any advice I would be grateful. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Just a couple of thoughts

• Have you tried a different browser?
  • Have you installed any new fonts recently?
  • Are you using any Chrome extensions that chance website appearance (DarkReader, etc.)

Also… while I’m here…

\textcolor{pink}{\huge \textsf{WELCOME! ^-^}}

welcome gif - crabigator

Take the time to check out the FAQ and GUIDE if you haven’t already.

There’s also a lot of good stuff on the forum to help you, like:

The Ultimate Guide for WK
The Ultimate Additional Japanese Resources List!
The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps

I hope your Japanese learning journey goes well and that you enjoy your time with us on the forums.

3 Likes

Thanks. No, I haven’t installed anything new like fonts or any extensions like that. I only have adblock and tampermonkey, which I turned off but there was no change.
Yea, I just tried Edge and the problem doesn’t happen there. Bit inconvenient but maybe I’ll have to move to it and reinstall a couple of scripts.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions. :v:

Have you tried clearing your cache? No idea if that could affect it, but thought I’d mention it

1 Like

Maybe @Mods can pass this on to someone

5 Likes

Hi, Im not directly affected by this kind of problem, but also since yesterday/today all Kanji (including Radicals and Vocabulary) appear to be “bold”. Like really really bold. I thought after reading this thread that it might be related somehow.

I am also using Chrome but this persists throughout every browser on my side.

Best regards and gl on fixing your problem

1 Like

Hmm, a change from thin to bold usually indicates a newly installed font or that the IME has been installed, which adds some different fonts.

1 Like

Did you install the Japanese keyboard recently? It comes with a font for kanji and kana that appears a lot bolder than before.

1 Like

Hehe, that’s what I just asked; Japanese IME == Japanese Keyboard ^-^

Oops, sorry. Since I didn’t pick up on it I think they also have a good chance to miss it.

2 Likes

Hi, I’ve had the Japanese keyboard/IME installed for about a year and this only started yesterday :/. Plus vocab is still visible so not sure if that’s it

1 Like

Thanks, if you mean the browsing cache from chrome yeah I did try this but no luck

1 Like

Hmm odd, I experienced the exact same thing (it took a while for the vocabulary to update) but this was within a day of the font being installed.
It takes a while but you’ll get used to it.
Edit: Oh I thought you’re the other guy, the reply wasn’t meant for you.

Hey! Sorry to see that. Very odd indeed. We’ve had some other users who have have issues with Chrome recently. We’re wondering if it’s because of the latest update last week. Email us at hello@wanikani.com and we’ll have our devs take a look at it.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s exactly what happened. Never thought this would have impact on website fonts, thanks (and also thMike) for pointing that out :slight_smile:

1 Like

No worries!

There’s a list of fonts that the framework WaniKani uses to display characters from, which are in order of priority. I think @Kumirei posted it, but I can’t find it now. Regardless, if you put a font on the system (such as the one the IME uses) then if it’s higher on the list, it’ll switch to that one. At least, I believe that’s how it works.

1 Like

If you don’t have it already, our team suggests installing Source Hans Sans: GitHub - adobe-fonts/source-han-sans at release

1 Like

Don’t think I ever did, but I guess I can do it now

Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro
Meiryo
Source Han Sans Japanese
NotoSansCJK
TakaoPGothic
Yu Gothic
ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3
メイリオ
Osaka
MS PGothic
MS Pゴシック
Noto Sans JP
sans-serif

3 Likes

Hmm, I misremembered, but somebody definitely posted it and you’re usually the one with all the useful information, so I naturally thought it was you :sweat_smile:

On the plus side, the next time I claim that it will be true :wink:

Edit: I searched for a font name and found that it was @sornvru, hehe

2 Likes

Hey everyone thanks for the help! However it seems the crabigator has decided to take mercy on me. The problem is randomly gone and I have absolutely no idea why! I just started a batch and everything was fine again! (After 2 days :upside_down_face:) I haven’t even closed the browser since it last happened, so I don’t even know if it was chrome’s fault…

2 Likes