Kaniwani Major Update: 1.3.4!

Yeah, I think most people are thinking from the perspective of seeing the actual answer as fast as possible. However, I really like that now I’m forced to read the kanji first. Make it an option ^^

2 Likes

We’re still trying to fix up the upcoming reviews / next review indication, please bear with us! :bowing_man:

Next review currently results in “unknown” once the (slightly off) review date is past but the review count is still 0. The time is only wrong by up to 15 minutes - so at the moment if you see unknown, try coming back in 15 mins.

Note that this is only a bug related to advising you when the next reviews should be ready - the actual SRS timing of your reviews is still being applied correctly (4 hrs, 8 hrs etc).

2 Likes

Does anyone else have issues with the resolution? Mine looks like this and I can’t read the info boxes

Which Browser & Device?
I’m guessing that’s old Safari? (< 11)

My work makes me use IE11 unfortunately. Old KW worked fine on it

Ah I see, I’ll try to add some IE11 hacks to get that displaying for you >_<
I won’t try to make it beautiful, but at least make it so you can see everything at work.

something’s definitely funny with the synonyms; 運ぶ (left) was on enlightened, while i had 担ぐ on enlightened before the update (i think…) but it recently appeared in lessons and is now apprentice.

i also have other stuff showing up in apprentice, sometimes appearing in lessons first (忙しい), sometimes not (〜人)…

Much appreciated

There were 17 words out of the ~6000 which got reset when fixing up the duplicates. Unfortunately we can’t undo it now. 担ぐ and 忙しい were 2 of these. Sorry :confused:

guess it’ll be good practice, as long as i can remember their meanings rather than “hm, this is SRS 4, so it must be one of the ones that showed up during the update…” :wink:

For those of you saying that the upcoming review bars seemed slightly off, you were correct. There was an issue of wrapping around days, such that reviews that were actually 25 hours away were showing up as “within the hour”. Fix is in the pipe.

2 Likes

I’m getting this:

Next Review: Unknown

1 Like

@jprspereira Next review date should be fixed now and “Unknown” shouldn’t appear again (if it does, then something is wrong and you should let us know :smiley: )

Also you were right about the wrap-up, in some cases it could include words that were incorrect first try then correct later. I have a fix for that too which I’ll ship sometime in the next few hours.

1 Like

The synonyms for the definition of 基本 don’t match what shows up in Wanikani. If I remember right I might have added some synonyms and removed them, but that would have been months ago. So I’m not sure what’s going on here.

Do you mean you have more meanings on KW - including ones that no longer exist on WK?
Mine only has Primary: Foundation, and Secondary: Basics.
Can you list what you have on KW?

It’s possible we haven’t set up to clear stale synonyms - I think we might simply add any that appear from WK during a sync.

Have added it as a todo :+1:

Although we’re planning to add detail level control to settings, I just remembered one of the other reasons I opted for low/mid as defaults (apart from the extra reading practice with low incorrect; it’s good for you!):

1. If a word has a connected synonym, and you’ve added one or two yourself - you won’t see them all in highg detail without scrolling down a lot. It’s much nicer in my opinion to see all the words first at a glance - and then expand to see their details.

2. Similarly, if you have auto-advance turned on and you have high detail, you’ll probably only see the first word before the next question is rotated in (depending on delay speed chosen of course). But rushing to scroll and see everything before it moves on… well…

Perhaps high by default will have to be mutually exclusive with auto-advance. I could consider trying to add a feature where auto-advance (for that 1 word) is cancelled as soon as the detail level is changed / high detail is interacted with (click or tap within info window). But… if people want a high detail default, then people can have it, damned be the consequences!

I did have sane, considered reasons for the low/mid by default :kissing_heart:

I actually like it too!

I have one issue with synonyms, very sorry if someone has mentioned this already.

When Kaniwani asks me e.g. „father“ both 父 and 父親 should be accepted. However, the program wants either one or the other and signals the alternative input as a mistake. The same occurs with 母and 母親

1 Like

I’m overwhelmed by the improtance of your tool. Thanks.

I would like to be able to disable words I don’t want to practice. I don’t use KW as much as WK (I don’t have more time!) and I dont’ really like the fact that I should… There’s too many vocab I don’t want to learn and I alredy know the readins for them… thanks alot anyway!

Yup, that’s what I meant. Kaniwani has more meanings than Wanikani. My Kaniwani entry shows Foundation, Basics, Fundamental, Basis.

Thanks!

Also, was the font just stealth changed? Because whatever it is now, I love it lol.

You can click “Lock Review” on the vocab page or in the quiz info panel, and that word will be filtered out from reviews (until you click “Unlock Review”).

Currently in the quiz info panel you still have to answer it correctly to clear from the current session queue - though I’ve made myself a todo to automatically clear if you lock during a session.