Kaniwani Major Update: 1.3.4!

Amenophyckxs said...

I don't see KW as a race since there's no new levels to unlock if you do well on your reviews! 
The long tail of reviews should go on for as long as necessary to ensure the items are in your long term memory. I'd prefer 12months of WK + KW for 1 vocab item, instead of 6months of WK + KW (at same time) for 1 vocab item.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for elaborating. =)

Just my thoughts on the matter though, who knows.
Logically it seems more sensible to separate the two srs timings (full WK then full KW), but that may not be the truth of the matter :P
It's possible that both at once or slightly delayed (start KW when item is at WK enlightened?) is a successful combo.

I've settled on the simplest, least interfering option as likely to be the most effective long-term strategy (in my opinion/experience). 
Knowing 2x items in a year is less important than knowing 1x items for years.

And... since we intend to add / allow users to add more vocab to KW, I intend to use it for years (and continue making it better slowly over time).

Could you maybe round the time for review to nearest half of an hour instead of items unlocking every minute? It would be so nice that way.

How come I didn’t know this existed? This is so awesome! Congratulations!

tomt610 said... Could you maybe round the time for review to nearest half of an hour instead of items unlocking every minute? It would be so nice that way.
 Not sure I quite understand.

If you're waiting for a review, it'll update the countdown on the homepage so you have an accurate idea of when your next review is.
If you're doing reviews, nothing will update (no new items added to review queue) until you finish the review (and redirect to summary page) or you manually navigate away (to homepage etc).

What do you mean by "items unlocking every minute"?
Subversity said...
tomt610 said... Could you maybe round the time for review to nearest half of an hour instead of items unlocking every minute? It would be so nice that way.

If you're waiting for a review, it'll update the countdown on the homepage so you have an accurate idea of when your next review is.
If you're doing reviews, nothing will update (no new items added to review queue) until you finish the review (and redirect to summary page) or you manually navigate away (to homepage etc).

When you review items they are put into queue with precision up to the second when it should appear again. Wanikani is doing this precision up to next half of an hour. The problem with kaniwani is that when you see that you have 7 reviews you click review, finish them, come back and see further 8, and then it continues for a while. If it was rounded to closest half an hour it would be much better!
Additionally counters of how much reviews are coming in next hour and day would be cool too.
I am pretty sure that developers know what I am talking about so don't worry.
tomt610 said...I am pretty sure that developers know what I am talking about so don't worry.
Subversity is one of the devs...
I guess you're saying you want reviews to come in batches each half hour. On WK you see next review at 8:00, or next review at 8:30, or 9:00, etc... Instead of at 8:03 there's one and at 8:06 there's another?

tomt610 said...
Subversity said...

When you review items they are put into queue with precision up to the second when it should appear again. Wanikani is doing this precision up to next half of an hour. The problem with kaniwani is that when you see that you have 7 reviews you click review, finish them, come back and see further 8, and then it continues for a while. If it was rounded to closest half an hour it would be much better!
Additionally counters of how much reviews are coming in next hour and day would be cool too.
I am pretty sure that developers know what I am talking about so don't worry.
Understood. I don't really notice chained reviews like that, over time they'll tend to cluster together - unless you're constantly doing reviews the moment they reappear.  You're a keen bean :P

We could batch them like that, though it's only protecting you from perception. IE, you can do your 7 reviews, complete and see the next 8 and decide to come back in 30mins to do your next review. Which would be the same as doing your 7, seeing 0 and 30mins later getting 8 (or 20 or whatever) reviews. 

It does fall under UX though, reducing cognitive load / frustration at seeing x new reviews every time you finish a review. So I see where you're coming from, I just haven't experienced it. Though I only really do KW once a day.

I'll add batching and review counters to our todo list.

Thank you so much! I just found your app, it’s awesome!

Are there plans for kaniwani to become a mobile application?

bushybrows88 said... Are there plans for kaniwani to become a mobile application?
This is something I've wondered too!
I'm using it through the browser on my phone when I'm not at my PC, but there is still the issue of the first letter changing into katakana due to the phone using auto caps at the start of sentences

I do my reviews mostly on PC though, so whenever I do them on phone I just disable the auto caps in settings until I'm done with my reviews, but it would be nice to not have to bother with that. 
Amenophyckxs said...
bushybrows88 said... Are there plans for kaniwani to become a mobile application?
This is something I've wondered too!
I'm using it through the browser on my phone when I'm not at my PC, but there is still the issue of the first letter changing into katakana due to the phone using auto caps at the start of sentences

I do my reviews mostly on PC though, so whenever I do them on phone I just disable the auto caps in settings until I'm done with my reviews, but it would be nice to not have to bother with that. 
 I looked into this, and we have the input set with autocapitalize turned off by default, so your phone's keyboard is overriding the browser input field as far as I can tell. I haven't been able to replicate your problem on any other devices. This is a case where the default behaviour is working as intended, but your device settings are trumping it. 

If we changed the input to replace the first character with hiragana - then users entering katakana intentionally would not be able to do so (and this is a valid use-case since we'll have more custom vocab in future, and there is a lot of katakana outside of WK). 
At present, none. Alternatively, bookmark the website as an icon on your home screen.

The advantages of an app would be.. different interface view, faster flashier animations & some notification popups.
The functionality wouldn't really change - which is to study your japanese!

Neither of us have app experience, apps are device specific (ios vs android etc) whereas the web's basic functionality works on anything with a browser, and it would require a significant rewrite considering that a lot of the functionality is built into the browser view.

So we could provide your vocab data to an app, but the entire review interface, ignoring answers, adding synonyms, locking items etc etc etc would have to be written from scratch by the app author.

You'd be looking at 5-10k minimum in the real world, I'm open to investment :)

That said, there are plans to simplify the UI a bit so it should play nicer on mobile phones / tablets / older devices as time goes on.

Subversity said...
 I looked into this, and we have the input set with autocapitalize turned off by default, so your phone's keyboard is overriding the browser input field as far as I can tell. I haven't been able to replicate your problem on any other devices. This is a case where the default behaviour is working as intended, but your device settings are trumping it. 
I'm using swiftkey with the auto-capitalize turned on, indeed, but like I mentioned, whenever I do the reviews on my phone I just turn that off until I'm finished.
I'll get used to it. Kind of a first world problem anyway, right? xD

Subversity said...
At present, none. Alternatively, bookmark the website as an icon on your home screen.

The advantages of an app would be.. different interface view, faster flashier animations & some notification popups.
The functionality wouldn't really change - which is to study your japanese!

Neither of us have app experience, apps are device specific (ios vs android etc) whereas the web's basic functionality works on anything with a browser, and it would require a significant rewrite considering that a lot of the functionality is built into the browser view.

So we could provide your vocab data to an app, but the entire review interface, ignoring answers, adding synonyms, locking items etc etc etc would have to be written from scratch by the app author.

You'd be looking at 5-10k minimum in the real world, I'm open to investment :)

If we run out of features to develop, and we get bored, I would consider writing an app for it. It's a big if though. I actually have written some android stuff before, many moons ago. 

Taaddddghh, contradictions! ;D

I’m sorry if this has already been asked somewhere in here, but is it possible to distinguish vocabulary with completely identical translations?

Examples:
forest, woods (林) and forest, woods (森)
branch office (支店) and branch office (支局) for which WaniKani even mentions that they are completely identical.

If it’s not possible, could these vocabulary be merged somehow? It’s frustrating if you expect another word, but have no means of knowing which one KaniWani wants.

Edit: OK, I just noticed the “ignore answer” button. Is that the only way to get around synonyms? I was looking more for a possibility to actually merge the words, but I guess that might not be feasible…

Brokenmind said... I'm sorry if this has already been asked somewhere in here, but is it possible to distinguish vocabulary with completely identical translations?

Examples:
forest, woods (林) and forest, woods (森)
branch office (支店) and branch office (支局) for which WaniKani even mentions that they are completely identical.

If it's not possible, could these vocabulary be merged somehow? It's frustrating if you expect another word, but have no means of knowing which one KaniWani wants.

Edit: OK, I just noticed the "ignore answer" button. Is that the only way to get around synonyms? I was looking more for a possibility to actually merge the words, but I guess that might not be feasible..

The devs have added a synonym feature on feb 23. This should solve the issue you are describing.
Just enter your answer, and if you, for example, enter 林 when you needed to enter 森, you get a bar on the bottom that says "add synonym" which opens a new window where you can enter some info.
It also conveniently has a question mark button with a direct link to the word on jisho, so you can enter the kanji if you do not use an IME and enter the romaji instead.

Hope this helps you.
Amenophyckxs said... The devs have added a synonym feature on feb 23. This should solve the issue you are describing.
Just enter your answer, and if you, for example, enter 林 when you needed to enter 森, you get a bar on the bottom that says "add synonym" which opens a new window where you can enter some info.
It also conveniently has a question mark button with a direct link to the word on jisho, so you can enter the kanji if you do not use an IME and enter the romaji instead.

Hope this helps you.
 It certainly does, I did not notice that option. Thanks for pointing it out!

Hi:

I really like Kani Wani so far but i have some suggestions, and since the Crabigator wants to hear my prayers (lol) . . .

- KaniWani is a great complement for WaniKani, since that way we can both study Kanki and Vocabulary, but is there any reference on JLPT Vocabulary VS how much KaniWani Has? some Data on that would be really useful, since many around here are trying to prepare for JLPT. Also the SRS is great and is one of the most useful i have ever seen and it really asks he user to actually TYPE the answer so thats awesome, i’ve always agreed on that part on WaniKani.

- A Mobile APP would greatly be welcome

Cheers