I bet you all thought I was dead!
This update has been a long time coming. As some of you will remember from the original Kaniwani, I don’t really fancy myself a web developer or designer. That said, I managed to enlist some help! (Thanks Subversity and EvolutionXbox!) If you don’t know what Kaniwani is, scroll down to the Original Post section.
That said, the old topic was getting ludicrously large, so I made a new one to address this update.
Patch 1.3.4 - July 7, 2016
- You can now login with your email!
- New logo
- Better quiz shortcut handling (you should be able to press keys like “i” while using an IME to ignore answer without having to swap to english input first)
- Auto advance is prevented (for a single item) if user moves onto the next question manually
- Quiz shows srs rank down notification on incorrect answer
- Burning an item no longer permanently colors rank up notification black for the remainder of that quiz session
- Upgrades backend Framework to newest
- Fixes WK Timing Issue. We now use Identical SRS levels.
Patch 1.3.3 - May 15, 2016
- Adds “Next Day” and “Next Hour” Review counts
- Fixed a bug for IME users where ommitting “~” from an answer would mark it as wrong.
- Allows you to have a quick peek at synonyms before the review continues. The [Auto-Advance] is (intentionally) about half a second slower when [Show Answers on Success] is combined with it.
- Simplified home screen to remove unnecessary bio text.
- Added a friendly face to keep you company on your journey.
Patch 1.3.2 - April 20, 2016
- Adds “Early review Exit” summary. Click the icon in the top left of review screen to be redirected to the summary screen for what you’ve done so far.
- Fixed a bug where users who had reset their accounts did not have that change reflected in kaniwani.
- Fixed a lot of miscellaneous bugs that most people never saw, but filled my inbox with notifications non-stop.
- More styling and preparation for some larger features coming soon.
Patch 1.3.1 - March 24, 2016
- Reviews are now batched in 15 minute intervals instead of down to the second. So if you finish 20 reviews in a fifteen minute period, they will all show up at the exact same time on the next review session, instead of exactly as you did them .
- Site upgrades to save server costs. Speaking of server costs, thank you very much to everyone who donated, we have ~6-8 months of server costs just from the donations we’ve already received. You guys rock.
- Small styling changes on the front-end
The long-awaited Patch 1.3
- Adds ability to add answer synonyms. Tired of confusing 女の子 and 女子 due to the near-identical meanings? So are the developers!
The question mark will lead you to jisho.org if you need to lookup and copy the kanji for whatever word you’re turning into a synonym.
Please note that this does not combine words in the backend, it simply allows you to add acceptable answers to pieces of vocab. You can also remove synonyms you have previously created by visiting the appropriate vocabulary page, and removing them.
- Adds ability to view your items by their SRS level. Click on “Apprentice/Guru/Master/Enlightened/Burned” on the home page, and see what vocabulary is at what level"
- Adding in Kanji input! You can now use a regular IME to input your answers if you so desire
- Vacation mode! Head over to the settings page to enable vacation mode if you’re going to be gone for a while.
- Styling changes!
- Donate button! Some people have expressed interest in donating to keep the servers up and running, so head to the about page and click the donate button if you feel like buying me and Subversity a beer… I mean… want to keep the site running. (´・ω・｀)
- Ability to “Ignore Wrong answer”. This is an intermediary while we get synonyms up and running. If you get an answer wrong, simply click the X on the right hand side to have that answer ignored, and it will be put back into the back of your queue., without being marked as wrong
- Note the little X on the right.
- The SRS indicator on the lefthand side of reviews now changes immediately when you level up a vocab item.
- Reworked the “Next review in X minutes” so that it updates dynamically even if you remain on the same page
- Adds SRS counts for Kaniwani Vocab, so you can see how many you have at each level.
- Adds a Password reset form(finally), so that you can reset your own password. Just a heads up, check your spam folder in case you dont get it.
- Maintenance Page when we are deploying
- Adds the ability to only review items you have previously burned in Wanikani!
- Fixes some synchronization issues, as well as miscounting the number of locked/unlocked vocab.
- New reviews and new synonyms are synced more quickly.
- Restyled the vocabulary cards on the vocabulary pages.
- Added “Automatically advance to next review when you answer correctly” settings
- Added “Automatically show correct Kanji/Kana when you get a review wrong”
- More css changes!
- Adds ability to have Kaniwani stop tracking your WK progress so you can unlock at your own leisure.
- Contact Form fixed
- Fixed bug with users that had burned items, not showing correct “time until next review”
- Added little SRS level indicator during reviews.
- Full Stylistic overhaul. This is what took the longest. It no longer looks like I pulled it out of a dumpster.
- Re-locking levels.
- Individual locking/unlocking of specific vocabulary items.
- A real contact form (mostly)
- You can now login even if your API key is wrong, along with the ability to change your API key.
- A large architectural overhaul. The reason I wasn’t able to deploy fixes any faster was the poor choices I made when originally designing the site. Moving forward, updates and features will come out much faster.
- Support up to level 60.
- More things I’m sure I’ve forgotten.
The vast majority of changes were quality of life changes for me and the other developers, so that we can deliver updates and fixes a lot faster.
I want to apologize again for how long it took to get this big update out. I had just started my job at a startup and couldn’t dedicate much time to it until recently.
- Lock/Unlock based on Wanikani level (only review burned items)
- Vacation Mode
- Editable meanings/synonyms
- More things
I have recently developed a small site (www,kaniwani.com) which is meant to help you with your actual vocabulary recall. I made this tool primarily for me and my girlfriend to use to help our learning, and it has really helped us! I didn’t mean for it to really go public yet but it’s been picking up some steam so I figure I should make a post about it.
You can watch a demo here of how it works.
I found while doing Wanikani that while I could recognise Kanji and Vocabulary when they were presented to me, I couldn’t come up with the words on my own without the visual aid. To that end, I created Kaniwani (A quick search seems to show that somebody has already made a similarly named service!).
However, I am not a web developer, and as such, there will undoubtedly be bugs, problems, and general ugliness (If you are a front-end developer willing to work with me to make it pretty, drop me a line!). Onto the interesting stuff:
- Start at your current Wanikani Level so you don’t have to trudge through the 10000 vocabulary below your current level.
- Manually unlock old levels.
- You unlock new Kaniwani vocab as you unlock new Wanikani vocab.
- Your synonyms are automatically imported from WaniKani (still kind of in-progress).
- Keyboard Shortcuts: during reviews, press P to show the Phonetic reading, and K to show the actual Kanji in the vocabulary. Hitting F shows both (a la Wanikani).
- Vocabulary conglomeration: Words in Wanikani that have the same meaning but different readings get combined. For example, when you see “Father” you can answer either “ちちおや” or “おとうさん”.
- Full SRS system: The algorithm is identical to Wanikani’s SRS, in that the more often you correctly answer a review, the less often you will see it, until it is burnt. Unfortunately there are no visual cues yet to show you what level each word is at. SRS operates every 15 minutes, but if you’re impatient you can hit the little refresh button to see if there are any new reviews for you.
- We now show the user when the next review will be.
- You can now press the “f” key on the keyboard in order to show both the phonetic and Kanji readings.
- Whenever you discover a new piece of vocabulary, any synonyms of it are automatically imported.
- All previous synonyms should also now be imported.
- Fixed a server error that prevented use when a vocabulary hadn’t yet been imported into Kaniwani.
- Added more robust logging(You’ll thank me for this later).
- Re-lock levels that you’ve previously unlocked.
- See which items are in danger(a la Wanikani Critical items)
- A UI that doesn’t induce nausea.
- Better conglomeration algorithm for vocabulary
Essentially the way it works:
- Make an account (username/email/API key)
- Click the big reviews button
- See English words -> Type in the phonetic Japanese. e.g: When “Cat” shows up, you type in “neko” in english(the site will turn it into hiragana)
- After inputting the word, if you got it right, it will convert the characters to the actual correct Kanji for the vocab.
If you have any suggestions or(especially) if you notice any bugs, please let me know. This is a side project while I’m in school, but I’ll work as quick as I can to fix any issues.