Kani Wani 2 accounts?

Hello all. It’s my first post here so I hope I’m putting this in the right place.

Anyway I’m using both Wani Kani and Kani Wani.

Obviously these are both amazing! Wani Kani helps teach me the vocab and then Kani wani keeps it in my mind rather than just reading it if thats makes sense?

Also I’m using Kani Wani to help me with writing the kanji too which has been really good. However now I’m finding that writing the kanji is really slowing me down. Sometimes I know the word on Kani Wani and then I mess up writing the kanji for it so I mark it down as being wrong. This is starting to really slow down my progress on Kani Wani. .

Does anyone know if it’s possible to have 2 Kani Wani accounts that can be linked to the same Wani Kani account. Ideally I’d like to use one for just vocab and then one for writing kanji.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks

1 Like

If you want to practice writing kanji, then KaniWani probably isn’t what you’re looking for. It doesn’t give stroke order information or alternate kanji information, mostly because it wasn’t built for that purpose. Personally, I used to use KaniWani for production (en>ja) reviews until it became clear that there were significant issues with the site (most users have complained about the bad synonym matching, and even the dev has talked about it). I’d recommend you KameSame instead; while visually it looks meh compared to KaniWani, it has much better customization, synonym matching and SRS features.

If you’re still thinking about the kanji writing aspect of this, try making an Anki deck for kanji writing. This customization will be a bit more difficult. There are some kanji stroke order fonts available out there, which show you each glyph’s stroke order within the character itself. If you get prouleau’s Item Inspector you can download a csv of your wanikani items, which you can fit with custom fonts on your machine and import into Anki.

If that sounds like a bit too much, there seem to also be some userscripts for WaniKani and KameSame that show the stroke order inherently in the reviews and lessons. If you do end up using KS you can make two different accounts with different emails, but honestly that seems like a drag to me. There are probably some hidden SRS postponement settings in the app that will let you customize your reviews for your kanji writing.

Sorry if I didn’t address your actual question :sweat_smile: imo something like this would be a better solution for what you’re trying to do, though.

6 Likes

You can use KaniWani to practice writing kanji. I use my smartphone and installed Japanese handwriting IME. Then I draw the kanji either using my finger or a stylus. You can also do this with KameSame. I’ve been doing this for years.

2 Likes

You could try using Ringotan. It has an option to use wanikani learning order and it’s for learning to write kanji. I think it will solve the issue you’re having.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.