Kana-Only Vocabulary Additions

Just adding a voice that I believe these words review should have an option of separate track, I am at level 20 and these are too easy for me, and I don’t think it fits into the wanikani objectives well. Even if I was at the start I would feel the same, plus the review numbers are already very high and this seems unnecessary.

10 Likes

Why some Kana Only Vocabulary are locked? :thinking:

1 Like

This is SOOOOO COOOOL!! Thank you! As I’m struggling to read Japanese I keep finding words that are kana only and it is frustrating! But in a fun way. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The level 3 vocab コーヒー、こんにちは、これ、する、いつ are locked for me

We’re having some problems with publishing this week, but we’re working on it! @matt_llvw @nazan

4 Likes

Those are not even showing on my list.

EDIT: Nevermind, it is showing if I log in through the website. It is not showing under Smoldering Durtles.

2 Likes

I just want to follow up by saying how absolutely pissed I am that I have to do stuff like “Hello” and “Good Morning”, and I can’t disable it, or study it as a separate path.

19 Likes

Sure it renforces kana fluency but this can be done with any word so why include those ones ?

When i say it slows me down, it’s not necessarily a bad thing, i’m very happy with wanikani and as I said learning kanji is absolutely essential. I just meant to emphasize the fact that wanikani takes up already so much time that I don’t want to waste more on utterly useless reviews. I’ve been trying my best to keep up with a ten lessons a day schedule for several years now, so 60 of these reviews add up to almost one entire week lost. It might not seem like a lot but it’s not nothing either.

9 Likes

Not reading through 500 replies, but fully aside from whether or not this is a necessary addition, as a mobile user, I just unlocked a bunch of kana-only vocab after leveling up to 21 and it’s completely breaking my app. I can’t pass これ - it just freezes up and I have to exit out. The JLPT is in a month, guys, this was not the time to roll in a new feature :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

WK doesn’t have an official smartphone app, which one are you using?

Some of them have already been updated (or forked in the case of Flaming Durtles) in order to support the new vocab.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Tsurukame since I started well over a year ago :joy: no idea about other app availability

What app? If you are using flaiming durtles, it has not been maintained for a long time. There is a new fork of the app that works perfectly.

Is that android-only? Not seeing any mention of an Apple version at a glance

It is, I don’t know what the status is on Tsurakame.

EDIT: [iOS] Tsurukame - native app with offline lessons and reviews - #1125 by marciska

Apparently a fix is in the work but not upstreamed yet?

The post also lists a workaround to temporarily remove kana vocab from the app. Apparently the issue is with する that’s handled specially by the app because it considers it a suru-verb (ironic).

Ahh, I see. In that case, my original point still stands: could this not have waited until after JLPT :smiling_face_with_tear:

Edit: will check out that fix once I’m home and have more than 2% battery lol hopefully that helps for now

1 Like

I sympathize. Apparently the issue is only for する so maybe if you pass this one on the desktop you can do the rest with the app?

Inconvenient though, I agree…

1 Like

@lyricaluck It was a bug in Tsurukame, not affiliated with WaniKani team. But is has been already fixed. It is currently waiting for approval by Apple to come into the AppStore (as far as I am told).
If you cannot wait, you can already install the Tsurukame TestFlight build (which is the same version that will get uploaded to the Apple AppStore eventually), or use the website in the meantime.

1 Like

する works fine on Tsurukame for me, unless you type “do” instead of “to do,” in which case the app crashes (probably something related to the) “hey this is a verb and needs “to”” jiggle.

Nope, the problem is because “do” is not accepted (any other not accepted word will do too), and then Tsurukame will open the details view. The app crashes because when it opens the details view it removes the する of a verb to only get the base (like 否定 する) – but する doesn’t have any “base”. It was already fixed in the newest update, but Apple takes some time until the update is permitted to the AppStore. In the meantime install the TestFlight build which I linked above, or wait until it is available in the AppStore.

2 Likes

I’d say exactly for the reason you mentioned earlier: because these are the words everybody knows, phonetically at least. When you already have “ohayo” or “konnichiwa” in your mind, you can map the words easier onto their kana versions and thus learn kana symbols faster.

I hope that the WK team will find some solution for people who are frustrated by kana vocabulary.

1 Like