KameSame - a fast, feature-rich Japanese memorization webapp

1 Like

Is the search working correctly?
When I search for 面 by wanikani level then 面白い does not show up in the results.
Same issue for 書 and 図書館, 座 and 座る.

Hi, I would like to report a bug. I tried to pause my reviews, but the pause reviews button never changed to unpause reviews, so I kept clicking it. Eventually, I discovered that my reviews had indeed been paused. However, after unpausing my reviews, none of my pending reviews reappeared. Upon checking the next review time for my items, it says “in about 2000 years”.

Also is there any way to fix my items? Thanks.

Thanks for reporting this, and I’m tremendously sorry you experienced this issue. I’ll look into this as soon as I can

1 Like

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.

@searls
Any plans to lift the undo button credits limit?
In a session on WK, I fail 30% of items because of typos (I review on mobile), so 3 credits is really low for folks like me who have low typing accuracy. That and the initial synonyms issue (which is no longer an problem) were what were keeping me from using KS in the past. I get the argument that people might abuse it, but is that really a problem? They shoot themselves in the foot if they do. :thinking:

1 Like

Agreed. I only use undo when I make a typo anyways, so not being able to fix that and getting a word I knew wrong because I typed it too fast, or because the site glitched and cleared half my answer while I was typing it, is a bit of a pain. At the very least, we need a way to change our max undos, even up to 5 would be a notable improvement.

Thank you for this amazing app. I just started using it recently and it is really helpful. As a developer myself, I really do appreciate the time and energy you had to put in to make something like this.

I just had some ides for new features. I am not sure if any may have been mentioned before as there are close to 1500 previous message now.

• For the placement test, I would love if I could do it only on the WK Items at a certain rank. Basically, I would like to do a placement test on burned words as I know about half of them really well, while the others, I’d probably want to start from scratch. However, currently, if I start a placement test, it is only filtered by the study list and not the WK level.
  • I would love if you could add a custom notes section to each card. Basically so I could add my own mnemonics. When I make Anki decks outside of WK, this is exactly what I do since I don’t do well with pure rote memorization.
  • I would love the ability to enable an extra card I could use for practicing writing. Basically, a duplicate for the English to Japanese. This way, I have one card that is just for writing the word with the keyboard, and one for using the drawing keyboard. As an alternative for PC users, it could be anki style card with just a pass fail button so the user can write it on a piece of paper and judge themselves. At least that is what I would find preferable.
  • I would also love cards that did hiragana to English. If these cards could work similarly to the way you handle homophones from English, this would be the best feature I could ask for. One of the major problems I found with myself when learning vocab through kanji (via WK) is that I only tend to recognize Japanese words in writing with kanji but I don’t do so well when I see them written in hiragana, like in video games or when talking with friends online. I assume this is probably an issue many learners also run into.

If you don’t add any of these changes, no big deal. What you have created is amazing and it has definitely become a big part of my study routine.

1 Like

I’ve seen this asked a few times already, but can you please add the option for unlimited undo’s? It really makes no sense that “3 things” is marked as incorrect compared to “three things.” I know I can add it to the additional definitions, but when I come across one of these vocabulary and forget, it’s punishing that it goes down a rank when I run out of undo’s.
That and I would like to have more control over how I study Japanese. Wanikani has 3rd-party scripts for my needs, but unfortunately Kamesame doesn’t have the same.
EDIT: I just scrolled up saw even more posts regarding this issue. Sorry for the unnecessary comment. Just treat this as a +1.

1 Like

Hello again! I think after a recent update – maybe a week or so ago – the sound went dead on KameSame for me again. It had worked since I bought the new phone a while back (discussion way upstream in this thread), although the sound would often stop mid-session and I’d have to close it out, end the session, and restart safari to get the sound back.

But now the sound is fully gone again, no matter what I do.

I’m on iPhone SE, iOS 14.4, using the website via Safari.

Happening to anyone else using an iPhone? Happy to move to a paid model for sound, fwiw, since I’m already on board for Patreon. :wink:

Yeah, there was a subtle change to a quirk in the web audio API in iOS, and Apple fixed it in 14.4 or 14.5, inadvertently causing KameSame to stop working.

Audio playback will once again work in KameSame, but note that if the mute rocker is set to silence mode, audio won’t play (because I treat the audio as a sound effect instead of an audio track, so as not to take over any music/podcast tracks that might be playing)

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply! Huh, I confirmed the rocker is not set to mute. Also checked the volume is up. But still no sound. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Are you on the latest iOS release? On 14.6 it’s working on all my devices

1 Like

I am a newbie. I wanted to practice JLPT N4 vocab. But Kamesame does not provide lessons first. It directly asks the meaning or the word. The problem is that I don’t know those meaning/words. For example, Wanikani first provides you the lessons first, and then reviews. But Kamesame seems to start directly with reviews. How can I learn the lessons first? Am I missing something? Thanks.

D’oh!!! That was it – I didn’t have iOS 14.6. Thank you, as always, @searls !

There are a few options for this.

First, if it has a Wanikani entry (if it does, it will have a link it on the bottom of the item’s page), have a look at the mnemonic there and try to memorise it through that

If there is not Wanikani entry, opening the Jisho tab and having a look at the word through that, specifically the definitions its use in sentences, should help familiarise yourself with the word.

Thirdly, you can just brute force the word. If you recognise the kanji of the word and can get a sense for the meaning, you probably won’t need to look into it too much to get it stuck in your head, and it can save you some time searching.

Besides that, you can do a pure brute forcing, where you just start the lessons, guess for any you’ve never seen before, and have a look at the meanings and readings for the word and get them into your mind for long enough that you are able to answer it when it comes up again. An important thing to note for this method is that you need to make sure to catch all of the SRS updates for the word until it properly sticks into your memory, as you won’t have anything to help you remember.

I personally use a mix of the lot, mostly just brute forcing items that aren’t too hard to remember, and for the ones that are more complicated (i.e. ones with a large number of definitions or a definition that can be interpreted in multiple different ways), I’ll look into them more thoroughly, usually on Jisho, until I feel confident I understand them.

If you only plan on doing a small number of reviews a day, I say you should spend some time to look into the words more thoroughly, but I haven’t experienced any major issues with my own method, so however you choose to do it you should be fine.

Something to note about the lists though, is that there are quite a few words in there that are not what they are actually supposed to be, but were misinterpreted as a different reading of the same kanji by the software. An example of this that comes to mind is when I was given a lesson for 猿 (ましら) rather than the common reading, 猿 (さる), while doing one of the N lists. If you come across a word with a strangely specific meaning while doing your reviews, I recommend searching the kanji up in the search bar on the home page, you’ll probably be able to find a more normal reading there.

3 Likes

Is there any way to add Furigana? The thing is I am not yet done with N4 Kanji, but I still want to practice N4 vocabulary.

Sorry, but not for now. My recommendation is to force yourself to learn the reading/meaning of the kanji via subsequent failures until it starts to click, especially since you’re learning the kanji coincidentally.

2 Likes

Quick update, everybody: I just pushed a massive overhaul to the scoring algorithm of production flashcards (where you’re prompted to provide Japanese text). In many cases this is reducing processing time from 200ms to 10ms or less. I’ll be rolling out similar speed improvements to recognition cards, as well as to the scoring (where it persists your progress/XP/levels/stars, etc) so that the quiz’s UX can be as fast as possible.

As a result, if you see any headscratchers (a right answer is marked wrong or an alternate match no longer works), please let me know here or via howdy@kamesame.com.

There is one pretty major functional change that will impact alternate matches, however: “synonyms” typed into WaniKani will no longer connect words as alternate matches. If you want to link two cards together as an alternate match, you’ll need to add it as a custom definition inside KameSame. I may choose to add a one-time import button to the account page to import your WaniKani synonyms as alternate english definitions, but I’m waiting to see how big an impact this has on folks first.

2 Likes

More performance updates today. Should be significantly faster, still. Here’s a tweet with a video.

Production quiz response time feels almost instantaneous to me right now.