KameSame - a fast, feature-rich Japanese memorization webapp

Ok, thank you very much for the clarification! :relaxed:

1 Like

Thanks! I thought so but wasn’t sure. Seems like a pretty chill system so I am looking forward to both reviewing and learning.

2 Likes

“Chill system” is what I was going for

1 Like

Yeah this is a good idea and I’ve added it to the backlog. For now just add a custom alternate english definition to force the alt match.

I can’t add this very easily because the most important SQL query in the entire system is the one that checks whether an answer is right or wrong, and so it’s incredibly important that it be freaky fast. In order to facilitate this word matching, I’ll need to do some thoughtful adjustments to the data structure

1 Like

Sorry if this has been asked before but are the stages the same as WK? 4 steps in apprentice, 2 in guru etc.

Yes, and the timers are roughly the same (for now). The only difference is that a wrong answer will only move you down one SRS rank (whereas I believe an incorrect enlightened answer will drop you two on WK)

2 Likes

WK drops you down by one rank while on Apprentice, and two ranks for Guru and above.

1 Like

Thank you, love the site!

Cool site! Thanks so much for creating it.

The only downside is that it takes too much time for items to get into guru, even though I repeated already so many times and got them correctly (both reading and meaning). The reviews are piling up and now I need to get through 400+ of them every day.

Maybe I am doing something wrong?

Im pretty sure it uses the same system that WaniKani does…
So its: +4h (ap1) +8h (ap2) +24h (ap3) + 2d (guru) or something like that. The first days are suposed to be a lot of repetition, but later it gets easier (if you get them right).

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this! One really useful feature is that it makes me remember the Japanese from the English, which WK doesn’t do. I know the meaning of a word when I see the kanji, and I can work out the reading, but what I’m hopeless at is actually learning the word. I know that the word for tie begins with ‘pull’ and there’s ‘part’ in there somewhere too, but I’m too lazy to actually learn the word if I don’t have to! Your app forces me to learn it. I’m loving it!

I also love the fact that I can sort the WK lessons so that the ones I’m worst at come first.

I’m not really using the app as a complete learning resource - I’m going to reset every now and then and concentrate on my worst WK words, until I’m happy I know them fairly well - so I won’t be aiming to burn anything in KS, but it’s exactly what I need. Which is a way to revise the WK vocab that just never sticks in my head!

One question - I want to keep my WK vocab and JLPT N5 vocab separate. I’m concentrating on WK but will want to dip into JLPT every now and then to see how much I know. I’m guessing that the only way to do that is to have separate accounts?

Thanks, and keep up the good work.
xxx

Thank you! Very kind words

Right now, your review bucket is your review bucket. It’s possible that in the future I’ll redesign the review page to allow for partial study sessions (just one skill, for example) but it’s not high on my list at the moment. Sorry!

As @Edzin said, the timing on reviews is roughly the same as WaniKani’s right now, so that alone doesn’t explain 400 reviews piling up unexpectedly.

One possible way this can happen is if you study new Lessons via a List. You might consider Placement mode, which will insta-burn words you already know instead of adding them to your queue.

1 Like

Hello,
I’m having an issue accessing the website at work through a proxy : everything works fine besides when answering the question. The questions are displayed, but when I send my answer the turtle and the shark keep racing forever. When I share internet from my phone (and turn off the proxy settings), it works well.
Do you have any idea how could the main website be fine with the proxy but answering the questions is not ?
Thank you for your help.

It sounds like the proxy you are using does not have proper support for websockets. Submitting answers will not work without a websockets and KameSame does not fallback to anything if websockets fail to work.

Thanks for your help.
So I guess I can’t do anything about it.
:slightly_frowning_face:

How about allowing us to disable the XP, level, and star system in exchange for unlimited undos? The frustration of being unable to undo at will prevents me from using the site as much as I otherwise would.

I have what seems to me to be a silly question, but since I can’t figure it out, I will ask anyway. Now that KANJIDIC2 is available in KameSame, how do you actually add custom kanji cards from it to your study items? For example, if I wanted to add 螺, which is part of 螺旋, which means spiral or screw, how would I go about doing that? I could try to use the vocabulary scanner to add it as a word, but it makes more sense to study it as a kanji, since the corresponding 1-kanji word has a fairly different meaning from the kanji itself.

Search for it.

Hey, just wanted to say ありがとう as I found your app quite fun to use! Having to do the opposite of wanikani somehow makes a click in my head and helps a lot when remembering pronunciacions and kanji. Excellent work!

1 Like