KameSame - a fast, feature-rich Japanese memorization webapp

Thanks for the feedback. I’m keeping an eye on it and trying to figure out how to best mitigate it

I had a few minutes to look at this and I think the right thing to do is to just hide the “related items” from the answer result page, because that query just became really expensive, especially for kanji cards. Instead to see the related items to something you’ll have to (for now) click through to the item, but I suspect that this will greatly improve study response performance

Does anyone else have a current issue where after ingesting a bunch of new cards, KS says a bunch of them were skipped (even though the user did not skip them)? There doesn’t seem to be a clear indication of why items appear in this list, although ones that I got incorrect seem to show up more often (this might be a cognitive effect rather than a real cause.) Browser is Safari. 4G connection is a bit… spotty.

For example, here are two snaps from this morning’s new cards. KS says I skipped 六, but it’s clearly there in “Started Studying”.

Screenshots

edit: awful grammar and formatting

Is it possible you started doing lessons in two browsers for the same chunk of items simultaneously? As soon as you completed the lesson on device/browser A, within a minute device/browser B is programmed to detect that and automatically identify the lesson as complete and remove it from your queue (so that you don’t have to do the lesson twice when it was already added). That means it’d show up “skipped” in the browser, but not because you skipped it but rather because you completed the lesson from another device and it was just removed from your queue on that one

Hi, I love the new search feature. I don’t know if this is a side effect, but when you get an answer wrong, the site no longer tells you what kanji the vocabulary word consists of, which is a shame because it was really useful. Is this feature still there and perhaps bugging out for me or is it gone? Anyway, please keep up the good work!

Dunno if you had a chance to patch it but the performance was much better today!

re: KameSame - a fast, feature-rich Japanese memorization webapp - #804 by searls

Yes, because the way the queries were constructed for breaking down related items was too inefficient for the influx of 180k new words, I disabled them for now. To see them you’ll need to click the word itself to see them and then go back (which is safe to do)

cc/ @trystero

1 Like

Hi - I don’t think so, as I was working on the train without access to any other devices, but I’ll keep an eye out and see if the problem recurs. As all the items did seem to make it into my review queue, it’s not a huge issue, I guess. Thanks for putting Kamesame together. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Skipping lessons is a new feature so it’s probably a bug. Will keep an eye on it.

Hey everyone, I just deployed a new feature I think you’ll like. Check out this demo here:

Basically, this update will allow you to take whatever you want to learn: the lyrics to a song, a page from a book, an article, a TV show script, and parse it for words. You can then pick which words you want to study in KameSame and kick off a lesson. I think this is going to make KameSame WAY more useful for me, as I’ll be able to supplement my listening and reading practice with an SRS queue for production of the words I’m taking on as input

7 Likes

A couple other minor improvements, while we’re at it:

• Alternate text representations from JMdict are now being loaded into items, which means:
  • If you answer a question with a valid variation of a word, it’s now marked exactly_correct instead of having to add a custom spelling. Because WaniKani really goes overboard with Kanji-heavy readings of some words (for example, spelling 締切 instead of 締め切れ), this should make it much easier to (learn to) type words like regular people would
  • Searching in romaji has been enhanced to cover katakana words
1 Like

I’m also having this issue – I thought it was just me somehow selecting ‘skip this’ accidentally or something. I only ever use this app in one tab in one browser and nowhere else, so it’s definitely not a split-browser issue.

What browser do you use?

Firefox v70.0.1, Win10. Thanks for looking into this! Let me know if you need more information.

Just tried Firefox & Win10 and wasn’t able to reproduce after doing any lessons. Is there anything you did for the items being marked Skipped? (Got wrong at first, got an alternate match, actually clicked “Skip”?)

This is amazing! I have been trying to do this myself manually with many mistakes and frustrations! I’m already going through so many things that contained things that I really wanted to learn.

1 Like

Nope! I did some lessons today and got every one of them correct. For some reason 上る was in the lessons list even though I learned that one a while ago (or should have, I’m pretty sure I remember it). I got that one right too and it flipped quickly between ‘perfect’ and ‘nailed it’ responses, and then wound up on the ‘skipped’ list at the end. My cursor was very carefully on my toolbar, so I can’t have accidentally clicked the ‘skip it’ link.

Hiya Searls - I had a play with this feature and have noticed that for items that are also in WK, I can’t add them until I unlock them there. For example, 禁止 is another seven levels away for me, but I’d like to queue it because I see it a lot on eg. street signs. Was this exclusion deliberate? I can think of a number of good reasons why it might be, but I just wanted to check.

It’s a testament to the coverage of WK, either way!

Sorry I’ve been level 60 for so long I failed to realize that you’d be locked out arbitrarily of stuff not unlocked in WK. I’ll need to figure out how to handle this

Ok, @curiousjp, this should work now if you try again.

1 Like