KameSame - a fast, feature-rich Japanese memorization webapp

I actually like the IME forcing me to search through the available kanji to find the correct one after spelling it out in hiragana. Right now, I don’t have a large group of kanji to work through, mainly a lot of ‘no idea what that kanji is’ and the one or two I do recognize, but I fully expect that later on I’ll be rooting through many kanji I recognize to find the correct one.

2 Likes

This is now implemented on the Account tab as “Reset KameSame”

1 Like

If this is how you want to work, then I recommend unchecking “include kanji” in lessons, since you really only want vocab if all you want to test is readings. Beyond that, when it comes to vocab cards you can of course just answer every question by typing the reading and hitting enter—it’ll mark it correct without you hitting space to navigate through kanji.

Weekend who!?! you got this done so quickly thank you!

Thanks, this is what I do already most of the time. But still, I would have to tell my IME to not display any suggestions. At least on iPhone, I don’t think that’s possible.

My take is still that—like it or not—it’s how Japanese people themselves are coming to interact with their language. It’s a two way street that’s changing how and which kanji are recalled, and (I suspect) even which words are being used.

Learning how to navigate them is vital to being productive on phones and computers, and after years of struggling with the kana keyboard, I’m now more or less proficient thanks to usually reviewing KameSame with my iPhone.

In any case, I’m going to be revisiting this in a future feature that will require some amount of english input. But until then I’m going to hold off on making any changes because I don’t want to hamstring myself by adding an additional custom input mode.

2 Likes

I use my phone and I use the google handwriting keyboard to write the correct kanji!

That’s also a nice approach. But I don’t think there is a handwriting keyboard for Japanese on iOS …

Yeah, I’m curious if any third party keyboards for iOS allow this anymore. For a long time I used MyScript’s keyboard for writing Japanese and it was excellent, but it’s apparently now been retired. (Still a great note-taking app if you won the pencil: Nebo )

Hi there. Enjoying the application. Wanted to know if you could add an option to reduce the size of the English text? I’m self-conscious about the big readable text on my phone screen when I’m using the app out in public. Sorry if that sounds silly. Just thought I’d ask. Thank you for your work.

I think all requests are valid. I don’t think I’m likely to get around to this soon because there’s actually a decent amount of logic to determine how to size the font base on term length and making it configurable would make it even more fragile. I’m sorry!

No problem. I understand there’s a lot that goes into it and you’re right to prioritize a stable and consistent experience. Thank you for your response.

Thank you for this tool, it’s brilliant. For me it’s a huge improvement on KaniWani.

Sometimes I just want to test myself on burned kanji. There’s an option to “Include kanji?”, but there’s (apparently) no way to include only kanji. Is there any way to do this that I’ve missed, and if not, do you think something like this might be a worthwhile addition?

Yeah, this is a nitpick with the UI that I’ve been meaning to address for a while. The lessons mode hasn’t gotten as much love lately and it’s the next major thing I plan on overhauling. Stay tuned

1 Like

Awesome, thanks in advance if it happens! Would any such “Kanji only?” feature also carry into the Review section?

That’s Sick! I will check that out later!

How long does it take to sync?

I’m currently still quite new to both wanikani and kamesame, but one feature that I know I would find quite useful would be an option to review kanji and vocabulary separately.
I’m using it solely from an iPhone, and would like to use different keyboards for vocab and kanji without constantly switching back and forth. I use a kana keyboard for vocab, but I prefer using a traditional Chinese handwriting keyboard for individual kanji, especially things like 々 that are annoying to do with the kana keyboard.
Thank you so much for creating this!

1 Like

Thanks @fuzzytipsy. I’m going to add this to the list of things to consider as I revisit lessons and reviews over the next couple months

1 Like

Thanks again for making the site! It works really well in app mode on my iPhone (wish it had notifications, but I’m guessing that’s a limitation of it being a website rather than an actual iPhone app). I’ve gotten used to switching between the two keyboards during reviews so it’s not a huge issue for me.