KameSame - a fast, feature-rich Japanese memorization webapp

I’ve been using kamesame for awhile and didn’t get a confirmation email. Also hotmail here.

Just got my confirmation e-mail. All good.

Yeah, the ~120 affected accounts should have received verification e-mails earlier today. cc/ @seraseth

I keep getting:

If you can read this whole sentence, your connectivity to KameSame's servers might be poor. If you can still read this, check your connection and consider reloading the page and restart your review session. You'll only lose the result for this most recent answer, we promise! 🙇 ‍♂️

Not sure what’s up. When I refresh it, this changes (the two “if you can read/still read this” disappear) but after giving the answer to a new query, the text pops up again.

Possibilities:

1. Maybe your browser doesn’t support websockets. Are you on an old browser?
  2. There may be a bug; try opening your browser’s JavaScript console, looking for an error?
  3. Maybe your connection is really poor?

This is Chromium Version 67.0.3396.87 on Linux x64. Websockets afaik are not disabled, and the connection is stellar (unless something intermediate is going on, but I don’t think so…)

I’m looking at the JavaScript console, but it’s not giving me any output so I assume that things are normal there too… (although, I’m not a web developer / debugger so take it fwiw).

Hmm, I’m sorry but I don’t have a clear sense for what might be causing this. I’m not seeing any errors on the server, and I presume you’ve tried closing the tab and opening a new one?

Alright, well maybe it’s not a problem. We’ll see. :slight_smile:

I might have found an (unrelated) bug this time. The word: 心願 in the synonyms shows as: Heart''S Desire.

Sorry for the delay, but this is fixed now for me! Thanks and keep up the good work!

Hi! I just started this–what a fantastic idea; I realized I had the same issue going from English to Japanese and this is exactly what I need.

I’m not sure if this is the right place to leave this kind of feedback, but for “tree” (木), although I my answer was correct, it said the pronunciation is もく, which is the onyomi; since the kanji is by itself, should it not be the kunyomi き instead?

Thanks again for a great product.

Edit: ah perhaps this is because it was a kanji reading as opposed to a vocab reading, and all kanji readings go with the onyomi–is that correct?

What was the background colour of that tree kanji? Was it red? Or was it purple? If it was red, it meant it referred to kanji, same like on WaniKani (Summary: RED → KANJI). If it was purple, it meant it referred to vocab, same like on WaniKani (Summary: PURPLE → VOCAB).

Summary:
RED → MOKU
PURPLE → KI

Not always like that. But mostly yes as far as I know.

1 Like

i think this is a bug, no?

Perhaps not. We talked about this stuff some posts back. There are characters in the unicode set that look alike but aren’t the same. How did you input that?

2 Likes

I’m pretty confident I typed おう, followed by one press of the down arrow + return to select the kanji, but perhaps I hit some extra key somewhere and messed something up.

If you wouldn’t mind, if you’re able to replicate this, copy-paste the characters themselves from the app into this thread so that we can check the UTF codepoints and debug it

Indeed. We go by whatever readings WaniKani uses. However, remember KameSame is trying to get you to input the kanji itself wherever possible, which obviates this as an issue (getting just the reading of a vocab word is only considered half-right, and entering the reading for a kanji card does not count as correct).

1 Like

hasn’t happened again, but i’ll do that if it does.

Hi! What does the WaniKani rank option do?

It will only pull in lessons at or above that level in WaniKani (i.e. if you select Enlightened, you won’t get lessons for items that are Apprentice/Guru/Master ranked in WaniKani)

1 Like