Just Noticed This

I’m at Level 10. Suddenly realised that the grey text in the answer bar, before I answer, is the Kanji (and hiragana) for the word “answer”: 答え

I’ve seen it thousands of times by now, and never paid it any attention (because when I started, it was grey gobbledygook), but I suddenly SAW it, and understood it. Thrill!

(Also watched episode 2 of Galaxy Express and it was called, essentially, Fire Planet particle-meaning-possession Red Wind, i.e. the Red Wind(s) of Mars, which is how they translated it. More thrill!)

Just so pleased to be learning this.

36 Likes

12 Likes

One step closer to b̶e̶c̶o̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶ ̶m̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶u̶l̶t̶ level 60!

3 Likes

Doh. I never read it. Mind blown.

1 Like

level 8 here, the same thing happened to me maybe two or three days ago. rewarding! (in a way :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

Have you ever been fast enough, or is your computer slow enough - for this Lv5 Kanji? 考えている

9 Likes

@YuugamiSamurai would undoubtedly agree with you :wink:

Moments like this will become more and more frequent as you level up. Even though I’m nearly level 60 I still get excited when I see something in the wild that I’ve just studied. It feels so rewarding and lets you know that you are actually making progress.

4 Likes

One of my mind-blown items was the 左右 (さゆう). In kendo we have lot of funny terms which most of them you just learn to say and what they mean, but I doubt most people actually look into the origins of the saying. So every warmup we do sa-yuu-men, which is repeated left and right strikes to men (head). So when I saw the kanji for left and right, I got that lightbulb moment of figuring out that it literally means left and right when we do sa-yuu-men.

3 Likes

It also feels great when you see a kanji EVERYWHERE and then finally you get to learn it in WK. There are super common kanji in the level 20s

4 Likes

Just as an aside the hiragana in the word is called okurigana (送り仮名).

1 Like

Omg, I’ve just learnt the 送 kanji, so the okurigana (送り仮名) actually makes sense now!
Thrill!

2 Likes

There’s something really electrifying about suddenly being able to see meaning where you couldn’t before, isn’t there?

I actually looked it up yesterday lol.

It also happens the other way around.

You see something… you don’t know what it means. You check it. It’s burned.

OUCH

11 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.