Just a little clarification for the を particle

So just a little context, I was watching a Japanese youtube video of which the youtuber ordered 10000 yen worth of food from the UberEats app(It’s a trend). He said " UberEats を食べてるYoutube見ながら"

Why is the を particle used? He is not directly eating “UberEats” is he?

1 Like

If I told you I was eating McDonald’s you wouldn’t think I ate a building, right.

8 Likes

Sure, but is there a better particle that can be used here?

Changing the particle, if it was grammatical, would change the meaning the person intended.

But in any case, do you have a link to it? There’s certainly an argument to be made that something’s being omitted, but I wouldn’t say it’s a particle that’s different.

Perhaps something like UberEatsを使って食べてる would be more… literally correct… but no one is going to misunderstand what he said, and if you’re just talking in a casual setting, it’s not always necessary to go beyond the bare minimum.

4 Likes

The video is : { https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FtguS9y_k4 } at 00:9

I do understand what you’re trying to say though, thank you.

Could also be that he’s referring to the food itself as UberEats. It does have the word “eats” in it, which refers to a food item. For example, it’s quite normal and common to say “I drank a coke” or “I ate pringles”. No one thinks you’re consuming the company itself.

2 Likes

Casual speech in any language is sloppy, and most likely the usage of UberEats in this case is figurative, since you can’t eat the concept of UberEats.