J's alternate mnemonics, Level 1-10

語る(かたる)to Tell

LANGUAGE was invented by Australian aborigines, so they could TELL children how to CUT A kangeROO for dinner. It’s very complicated, so simple hand gestures and grunts weren’t sufficient. TO TELL how to CUT A kangeROO for dinner required the invention of new LANGUAGE.

(true story)

1 Like

記事(きじ)Article, news report

The KEY (き) to JEsus’ (じ) popularity is good press. 2000 years ago, his fans wrote NEWS REPORTS and ARTICLES about everything he did.

1 Like

開発(かいはつ)Development

In Tokyo an “OPEN DEPARTURE” is a euphemism for the death of one’s parents. The body OPENs and the spirit DEPARTS.

To avoid estate taxes, a parking lot is quickly erected on the site of the old family home, followed later by DEVELOPMENT of 2 or 3 tiny million dollar houses on the same site a year later.

That’s why OPEN DEPARTURE of parents usually leads to a new housing DEVELOPMENT.

労(ろう)Labor

Viking ships were all VIKING POWERed with hard LABOR. ROWs of VIKINGS would ROW and ROW (ろう). So much tiring manual LABOR! That’s VIKING POWER!

1 Like

働(どう)Work

The strongest LEADER has the POWER to do HEAVY lifting (mentally or physically), and will always get the most WORK done.

Why? Because they are the best WORKer. Doh! (どう)

配る(くばる)to Distribute, to pass out

Your family is filthy rich, from their ALCOHOL DISTRIBUTION business, dating back to the prohibition.

You’ve gathered them all together to announce that you’re getting married!

Following your family’s (rather antiquated and sexist) tradition, you DISTRIBUTE Champagne to the ladies, and PASS OUT cigars to the men.

As the deep smell of CUBAn (くば) cigars floods your nostrils, you feel grateful your family’s vast fortune.

集(しゅう)Collect, gather

You’re running around saying SHOO SHOO (しゅう, しゅう) to get the turkeys to GATHER by the tree.

1 Like

集める(あつめる)to Collect, to gather

You’re running around SHOOing the turkeys TO GATHER them together, and it’s a lot of exercise! As you start to sweat from exertion, you pause fo a moment and say “あつ!”

One of the turkeys nearby looks at you in agreement as replies “あつ”. Wow, you didn’t realize turkeys can talk. You’ll have TO COLLECT that one for further testing.

路地(ろじ)Alley, dirt path

Just for fun, you walk down a DIRT PATH into an ALLEY behind a church. You’re surprised to see a ROW of baby JEsus statues. (ろじ) Cool!

病む(やむ)to be Sick

You ate so much chocolate yam ice cream that you’re about TO BE SICK. Your throat tightens. You begin gasping “や…や…や…” and then barf.

Fortunately, it tastes like ice cream. YAM YAM! (やむ)

倣(ほう)Release

In WINTER, the ski lift goes in the best DIRECTION! Up the slope! But, due to high winds, the chair lift is closed today.

You’re so committed to the WINTER DIRECTION (up the slope) that you decide to use the old fashioned rope tow.

Make sure you HOld (ほう) on for dear life as it drags you up the mountain in the wind! And, don’t forget to RELEASE the handle at the top, or it’ll pull your face into the snow!

2 Likes

初(しょ)First

After years of effort, you’ve created a SPIRIT SWORD. It’s the FIRST of it’s kind – an amazing work of art and technology! You can’t wait to SHOW (しょ) it to everyone, so you create the FIRST SPIRIT SWORD SHOW (しょ), so you can SHOW (しょ) everyone your FIRST SPIRIT SWORD.

農場(のうじょう)Farm

I’m trying to find my grandpa Joe, the farmer. So naturally, I look on the FARM. Hmm… “No Joe” (のうじょう). I guess he’s not here.

化かす(ばかす)to Enchant, to bewitch

Everyone calls the local enchantress “ばか Sue”. Not only is it rude, but dangerous too, because she can CHANGE you into a frog!

拾(ひろ)to Pick up

My real HERO (ひろ) is the person who PICKS UP trash when they see it. They just reach down with their FINGERS and PICK UP the offending item.

Tou can see their fingers putting the trash in the bin on the right side of the kanji.

1 Like

首位(しゅい)First place

You’re neck and neck, which means you’re a SHOE IN (しょい) for first place!
You need to be quick, so trim しゅう to しゅ and いん in い.

最低(さいてい)the Worst

The MOST LOW quality drinks are THE WORST. Often, they’re so disgusting, I vomit on SIGHT (さいてい).

注ぐ(そそぐ)to Pour

You’re SO SO GOod (そそぐ) at pouring, which is why those drops are flying out of the bottle into the glasses!

注文(しゅうもん)to Order

At you local sushi bar, you have to WRITE out your order, even your drink orders (which is weird).

拾う(ひろう)To Pickup

My real HERO (ひろう) is the person who PICKS UP trash when they see it. They just reach down with their FINGERS and PICK UP the offending item.

You can see their fingers putting the trash in the bin on the right side of the kanji.

That’s a true HERO!

便所(べんじょ)Bathroom

Imagine what a CONVENIENT PLACE your BATHROOM is. You even have a BANJO (べんじょ) so you can play music while you enjoy yourself.

労働(ろうどう)Manual labor

The person who ROLLS DOUGH (ろうどう) does MANUAL LABOR.

受付(うけつけ)Receptionist

The RECEPTIONIST saw me come in with my skateboard and said quickly “You can’t skate (うけつけ) here”.

No problem, I just came in to use your bathroom and drink your coffee :slight_smile:

者(しゃ) Someone

You’re an archeologist, and you uncover a COFFIN with a familiar symbol on the outside.

The symbol looks like SOME 1s arranged to look like the Chinese SUN kanji. Why would SOMEONE arrange SOME 1s like that in Egypt?

You chuckle and think to yourself “Maybe SOMEONEs SON is inside?” LOL

Reading…

You open the coffin with SOME 1s on it, and find SOMEBODY inside. Sure enough, it’s the SHAman’s (しゃ) son. He’s SOMEONE, but not really SOMEBODY famous in history.

But the SHAman (しゃ) really loved him.

Level 12 radicals…

者 Someone

What’s that underground? Looks like SOME ONES arranged to look like a SUN.

Why would SOMEONE arrange SOME ONEs like that?

廴 Yoga

This is a clever logo for Z YOGA. A Z on top of a Y standing on a spongy YOGA mat. Brilliant!

示 Jackhammer

Another logo for J’s JACKHAMMER business. See the J in the middle of the jackhammer. Clever!