Joyō Kanji

After reading through other sites, and getting side tracked by reviews (not complaining), I noticed that WaniKani doesn’t have all of the commonly used Kanji. Now, I’m nowhere near the end or the beginning of this site but I do want to know if the remaining Kanji will be added, and if not other sites that could help.

Check out Fake Levels 61 - 70 or 無限 INFINITY, I think it has some more of the Joyō kanji.

1 Like

The Joyo kanji is what is used to define literacy for a Japanese adult, and as such, includes a number of Kanji that are not really used often these days either because they are remnants that have fallen out of use since the original Toyo Kanji was created, or only exist in the Japanese constitution. So most of the remaining Joyo Kanji leftover are not that useful. There are in fact a number of more useful non-Joyo kanji such as 嬉しい

Even 俺 and 阪 were not on the Joyo list until 2010.

3 Likes

It still is kinda baffling that around 100 would be gone from major use. But if 100 kanji or so fell from the list I guess your explanation would make some sense. Arigatou.

Keep in mind that since the beginning of a standard list in 1923 (or 1931 depending on what we are counting), only 5 Kanji have ever been removed (勺, 銑, 脹, 錘, and 匁). Meanwhile the Japanese language has undergone significant orthographic reforms since then.

Among these kanji, the ones that do appear in words that are common, or at least not very rare are often used in only one word (And I’m defining one word as one word that isn’t super rare or archaic), such as 喩 where 比喩 is the only word I can think it exists in or 勾 which is only in 勾配, or 弄ぶ, etc etc.

2 Likes

蚕 is a 6th grade kanji. It means silkworm. It is used in a variety of rare silkworm-related compounds as well. It’s the 2272nd most frequently used kanji. I think it’s okay that WK excludes it.

4 Likes

what’s the difference between Joyo and non-Joyo (no, i will not look it up)

Why are you that lazy? You want other people to waste time finding stuff for you.

4 Likes

Maybe this will help… (lazy, but I cant complain when I was thinking the same…)

1 Like

Honestly Japanese people don’t even know the difference. It is just something that foreigners use to label more common characters!

2 Likes

I guess it’s possible they somehow didn’t go to school. But I find it hard to believe they don’t know the meaning of the word 常用, even the most Yankiest of Yankees can’t be that dumb.

I guess if he’s going to be lazy, we might as well give him misinformation.

lol yeah that was my intent.

well u dont have to go out out of ur way. Just if you knew so already. @garlogan lemme tell, as being one of the most gullible people I knew, I would most likely believe you, lol. That’d actually be pretty funny

1 Like

I’m aware that it takes longer to spitefully tell you off than to just answer the question (since it’s something that can literally be explained in one short sentence), but it’s just annoying as hell to see someone announce that they refuse to type 10 characters into google and read a sentence.

1 Like

If you are already Level 60, and wanting to learn more commonly used Kanji (rather than how to read)… I suggest you pick Joyo list (173). But, that’s not all of commonly used Kanji.

I extracted more Kanji from WaniKani example sentences, by frequency… (211)

Alternatively, you can go by Newspaper Frequency (499).

Although, N1 list (261) is an option, I don’t really like this list.

My full rant is here.

2 Likes

I don’t even know the difference anymore.

Just starting here and it’s already a good list of Kanji that are more common than much of the remaining Joyo.

Also to your full rant, I’m not sure what “I find non-Joyo N1 kanji to be less useful” means as the N1 Kanji list is the Joyo list and only the Joyo list. If there are non-Joyo kanji this comes from them being on old tests but people ignoring the fact that they had Furigana.

Of course, perhaps ironically so, I came across 裾 today.

Agreed.

In other words, the majority of us prefer to help those that first help themselves. If you’ve looked something up that you don’t quite understand, go ahead and ask. But if you’re (and I’m talking about anyone here, not just singling you out, @smartie344) just too lazy to even try looking something up, I’m not sure you’re that invested in learning the language and I’m not going to waste my time trying to answer your question.

3 Likes

okay yeah, i get what you mean. I’ll try to be less lazy next time

1 Like