Joining the level 60 club after 350 days

Congratulations! Very well done. I’m glad you discovered the power of mnemonics. It makes all the difference, I think, whether it’s to remember Kanji, grammar, meanings, or in many other applications like medicine, law… pretty much everything that requires memorization. It’s been a life changer for me. Hope to join you at level 60 in a few more weeks.

2 Likes

Wow, haha. I hope I´ll never see this picture (880). But who knows. I am lazy as well…

2 Likes

With the levels as they are when I went through them (so assuming this doesn’t change for you), the theoretical fastest it will take to reach level 60 is ~342 days.

(164 hrs/level * 41 levels) + (82 hours/level * 18 levels) = 8200 hours. 8200 / 24 = 341.66

Good luck! :grin:

2 Likes

Yup! So far I lost 4 hours on the first 10 levels, so if that continues I’m on track for about 243 days. Of course, the last 20ish levels will be hard

3 Likes

I’ll be waiting for the day you make your level 60 thread. :eyes:

3 Likes

Haha thanks. I’m hoping that I meet my goals!

2 Likes

Omg I can’t get over those stats :scream: Are you even human

Congratulations on making it all the way to 60!

4 Likes

Yeah, this is what happens when you use the reorder script uncarefully…

2 Likes

what a cool kid :durtle_stabby:

3 Likes

Congratulations!! :cake:

1 Like

It’s the fastest possible while maintaining a consistent schedule (i.e. not having to get up in the middle of the night sometimes). You can do it slightly faster if you are willing to get up in the middle of the night.

I’m actually amazed. I was aiming to complete WK in 353 days, which is basically the same as OP except that I wasted three days over the first two levels due to not understanding how the system worked yet. I feel like I’ve already been upstaged before I’m halfway to the finish line. Oh well, there’s no reason we can’t all be happy for each other. Doing this must have taken incredible dedication. I’m only four months in, and it’s already taken quite a bit of work for me.

2 Likes

It could be worse. I “lost” three days over the first two levels due to not understanding how the system worked yet. I was also targeting a week per level like the OP (so 353 days in total) since I wasn’t crazy enough to get up in the middle of the night all the time. At least I’ll still have the bragging rights of being the first person (AFAIK) to speedrun WK with no userscripts and no previous knowledge of Japanese.

1 Like

I’m definitely using scripts (I mistype things all the time, and sometimes type an unnaccepted synonym) so that will certainly be a pretty big claim!

Luckily, it only really matters on the level critical radicals and kanji, and even then there’s a margin for error. Of course, once I get to the fast levels, it will be “sudden death” again. I just have to be really careful when reviewing the radicals and kanji.

1 Like

Yeah, but I known I’ve written “ship” for the “boat” radical, and things like that. Also, without the reordering script, it is likely that I couldn’t make it through the radical and kanji lessons in time when they get unlocked with vocab. That is basically my only use for the script, since I don’t actually skip vocab (I just do them after the radicals and Kanji).

I use the browser dev console to manually reorder the lessons when leveling up so I can do the radical lessons first. So it’s a bit like using the reorder script, but only for lessons, and only on level up. The important part is that I don’t have any override script for mistakes.

I could have done it without any lesson reordering at all, it just saves time. For the first five levels, I actually did just power through the vocab lessons on level up to get to the radicals. I’m planning to do the last five levels with no reordering as well, just to prove it’s not necessary, but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

1 Like

At the time I hit level 60:

Today:

Yeah… Just 5 days later, my accuracy is not sticking around. 0.05% overall accuracy drop may not seem like a whole lot, but I’m getting a lot more wrong than I’m accustomed to. It’s all downhill from here. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Congrats! Did you use a script or two to help things move along at that pace? I have found that some levels drag on for longer than they should. Just a couple of missed answers can hold everything back. And often times, the misses are not really misses; they are synonyms I just haven’t added yet or typos on my phone.

1 Like

I’m currently level 22, and I haven’t missed a level up due to failed reviews since level 1, (before I got serious about WK), despite not using any userscripts. The trick is to just put more effort into learning the radicals and kanji, and be extra careful when reviewing level-critical items. It’s also helpful to know when reviews for level critical items are coming up, and get all other reviews cleared away the hour beforehand if possible. Luckily, there’s a large margin for error (at least until you hit level 41), since you can miss up to three kanji reviews per level without delaying your level up.

I also do WK on my laptop, not my phone, so presumably typos are less common. (I still miss reviews sometimes due to typos, but mostly just on vocab reviews. Although I did miss one of the kanji reviews due to a typo last week)

1 Like

Hmm, even missing very few and doing lessons/reviews right away, I think level 4 took around seven or eight days. Based on OP’s average, it sounds like it should be closer to five days per level…