Stories of the Japanese Prefectures (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

You did see that the answers to the questions are on pages 62-68 in the book? And they are numbered so it is easy to reference them.

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. It’s an interesting idea. It would be quite a lot of extra work for me to type all the questions as polls each week and I’m not sure it helps the discussion of the text, so I probably won’t do this.

I think the answers will be fairly straightforward most of the time. I presume people will check their answers with the answers in the back of the book and ask on the thread if they don’t know why their answer is wrong. The threads generally haven’t been too messy in the past, we only have four pages to discuss each week.

I’ll be planning to just copy and paste the OP each week and minimise the effort required in running the threads. I’m often putting the thread up on a Friday evening after a long day at work. Hope that’s ok :+1:

8 Likes

No I hadn’t. I had recalled someone saying how it seemed like parents were expected to go over the answers with their kids, so I thought it didn’t have them.

2 Likes

On my way into Sydney to hopefully collect the book! And probably buy some other Japanese books at Kinokuniya at the same time.

Edit: not sure if this will upload:

13 Likes

And we are off! Week one reading thread is up!

8 Likes

Thanks for everyone who joined week 1! Week 2 thread is up.

4 Likes

Oh my! This has to be the most difficult book for 6-year olds I’ve ever read! That being said, I love the challenge. And my 6-year old daughter, who’s just learning to read our native language, laughs a lot at my struggles :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

ah sadly I can’t buy the book physically cause I don’t live in the US

??? People have bought it in Australia, Japan, and parts of Europe though?

it’s too expensive for me to buy it and ship to (indonesia) so its not viable

2 Likes

Indonesia has a Kinokuniya. Suggest you contact them (especially the Japanese book counter, if they’ve got a separate one), and see if they can order it for you.

6 Likes

Onto week 3! Remember, if you are still catching up feel free to ask questions in the threads for the earlier weeks. We make separate threads to make this easier to do and there will usually be people watching those threads who will answer your questions.

Alternatively, join in with the current week and you can always catch up on earlier chapters later!

5 Likes

My book arrived! I took the advice of Belthazar and emailed Kinokunia Sydney and they ordered it for me.

Cuuute! I will get a head start on week 4 and jump in there.

6 Likes

Posting a little early this week. Hitting some more familiar territory for many of us now with Narita Airport and Tokyo landmarks.

5 Likes

Onto week 5:

5 Likes

Week 6 thread!

7 Likes

Week 7 thread.

5 Likes

Week 8 thread. Remember the old threads are still open for questions if you are catching up. Alternatively jump back in on the current week and you can go back to the earlier chapters later!

5 Likes

Week 9 thread.

4 Likes

Week 10 thread is up!

5 Likes