Join Us! デスノート ・ Death Note (Beginner Book Club) // Reading: Volume 12

I think the Night Cafe book already has a well-populated vocab list underway, so please feel free to use it. You can find it in the Night Cafe home thread (which is linked from the Beginner book club OP).
Also, if you are planning to read Flying Witch, please make sure to check out its reading threads and vocab sheets and everything. You can still ask questions in the threads, usually there are some people still around who are happy to answer!

5 Likes

I think the Night Cafe book already has a well-populated vocab list underway, so please feel free to use it

Yep, there are some very useful resources in the thread, I’ll go through them first thing in the morning.

You can still ask questions in the threads, usually there are some people still around who are happy to answer!

Ah nice, I’ll certainly go back to the flying witch threads if that’s the case

4 Likes

There were a few people that would like to proceed with a book club sadly the split between scheduled & undscheduled was almost 50%, but scheduled had a slight lead. Would anyone of the people that want to continue be willing to host the club weekly?

5 Likes

I feared Death Note difficulty too in the beginning, but I seems to adapt well.

I wondered if someone will continue discussing into latter volumes? While it is not too difficult to continue, it is difficult to gather followers.

I missed the reply, but I would say “Yes, with a schedule”. I can also read myself, but it is less fun.

3 Likes

Same. I would like to join, but my recent manga order contained everything except for Death Note vol 2 (which was out-of-stock unfortunately). But still I would like to participate in the discussions since I know the story fairly well.

3 Likes

If anyone wants to chime in, I could start a thread for デスノート vol. 2, then start a new thread for next volumes monthly, on Day 1 of respective months. (Why monthly? Because it is easy to count.)

|Volume|Starting|Chapter|
| — | — | — | — | — |
|1 - 退屈たいくつ|Jan 21|Chap 1-7|
|2 - 合流ごうりゅう|Apr 1|Chap 8-16|
|3 - 激走げきそう|May 1|Chap 17-25|
|4 - 恋心こいごころ|Jun 1|Chap 26-34|
|5 - 白紙はくし|Jul 1|Chap 35-43|
|6 - 交換こうかん|Aug 1|Chap 44-52|
|7 - ゼロ|Sep 1|Chap 53-61|
|8 - まと|Oct 1|Chap 62-70|
|9 - 接触せっしょく|Nov 1|Chap 71-79|
|10 - 削除さくじょ|Dec 1|Chap 80-88|
|11 - 同心どうしん|Jan 1, 2023|Chap 89-98|
|12 - かん|Feb 1, 2023|Chap 99-108|

But each chapter of a volume will not have a set schedule, for simplicity.

As for tracking who have finished the chapters, it can be done like this.

デスノート vol. 2

Which chapters have you read?

page, 8 おんな
  • I plan to read the chapter soon.
  • I have started the chapter.
  • I have finished the chapter.

0 voters

page, 9 あな

0 voters

page, 10 合流ごうりゅう

0 voters

page, 11 ひとつ

0 voters

page, 12 かみ

0 voters

page, 13 秒読びょうよみ

0 voters

page, 14 誘惑ゆうわく

0 voters

page, 15 電話でんわ

0 voters

page, 16 逆立さかだち

0 voters

About the continuing discussion

What do you think about the monthly schedule?

• Just right.
  • Too short.
  • Too long.

0 voters

Would you like join?

• Yes. All the way and on time.
  • Yes, but probably not all the way.
  • Maybe a little late.

0 voters

4 Likes

Just noticed this thread. I’m interested in continuing with Death Note. Although I joined late and didn’t comment much because I was struggling to catch up, I enjoyed reading it with everyone. The vocabulary is tough for me but I know the story well enough to learn something from it, even if it’s a bit difficult for me overall.

5 Likes

@Mods could you turn this thread into a wiki? Thank you very much!

3 Likes

I have created the vocabulary list for Vol. 2, and filled particularly for Ch. 8.

I made some improvements from the original one, though.

• Japanese font, to prevent regression to Chinese variant
    • To be exact, I am using Sawarabi Gothic (which is already inside Google Sheets).
    • Though, of course, Gothic vs Mincho vs 教科書体 would differ a little - I don’t care for now, but it is better than having to see strange .
4 Likes

Once the thread is turned into a wiki you can update the top post of this thread to include the volume discussion threads in there! Thanks for taking charge and conttinuing the club!

7 Likes

No problem! It’s a wiki now :partying_face:

6 Likes

I would like to continue Death note, it has been fun so far, however I think the monthly schedule might be too short, I’d like to continue the 1 chapter a week pace, and I feel like if we’re synchronized in our reading it might be best for discussion, since I sometimes can’t recall exactly what has happened in chapters I read some time ago.
With this in mind, since volumes seem to have about 9 chapters each, I would prefer a 9 week schedule per volume (we can still just keep 1 thread going, since the discussion won’t be as populated).
If others think this pace is too slow I can just read at my pace and comment later, I’ll make a small poll to see if anyone agrees with this scheduling.

• One volume a month schedule
  • One chapter a week schedule
  • Another schedule

0 voters

4 Likes

Yes! I want to keep on reading!

I think this manga is challenging, so 1 chapter a week is hard enough.

3 Likes

I think weekly schedule is indeed better for thorough discussions (as long as there are people who want to discuss thoroughly).

The only fear is whether the series will be completed some day. As a matter of fact, reading slowly blunts the drive, and makes it harder to complete the whole thing.

Might be a nice idea??? Yes, it will reduce my workload. But it makes followers harder to follow.

• One chapter per thread
  • One volume per thread
0 voters

Nonetheless, now (immediate future) is more important than the unknown future…

I don’t think I want to plan too far ahead and make everything set in stone.

1 Like

I can’t edit the title for some reasons, but I prefer the title to be - “Continuing Vol 2 on 4 Apr - デスノート ・ Death Note (Beginner Book Club)”.

As I have edited the first post, there is a thing I wonder - Page Number. Personally, I am reading Bookwalker e-book in Monochrome version. I can’t be sure the physical ones will have the same number. (While Full Color versions almost certainly do.)

1 Like

I’ve been following some bookclubs and when it’s few people in them there are usually no more than 10 posts per chapter, so it would still be an alright amount for one thread.
I agree that completing it faster would be better for drive but I also agree with Toyger that it has been a pretty challenging read, and for now one chapter a week seems like the limit. Maybe further down the line we can vote again and speed things up if everyone agrees.

3 Likes

This is not strictly a rule but most boook clubs start on saturdays, so it might be good to keep that tradition. But in the end it is up to you

The tried and tested method is to have one thread per volume but weekly posts. Example

Only Regulars or owners of the thread can change the title!

5 Likes

I will make it start at Sat 2 April, then. (Nice, not an April’s fool)

I will pretty much copy the example, as well as migrate the timing and polls to the “Volume 2” thread. (Which is easy, as the first post is already a Wiki.) I will probably create a new thread tomorrow.

I think I used to be a Regular as well; but then I regressed to a Member, as I stopped using WaniKani and learning Japanese.

Forgive me if I went overboard (with a public Google Sheets), but I decide to merge the vocabulary list, for all volumes just like the example.

As a matter of fact, a specific sheet in the whole can be selected, although not readily apparent. The easiest way is simply copy the URL from the navigation / search bar.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M4NKNipe5xhHRJopU5td0vBfrlavFmSLviK26yT_q_U/edit#gid=100796787

The secret here is the #gid= URL hash.

As for browsing the volumes, click the bottom left,

5 Likes

I have created a thread for Vol 2 just now.

5 Likes

I found Death Note (Anime version) in my regional Netflix, but there is no Japanese subtitle… I wonder what I can do?